Affirmative Action/ Employment Equity

Do you support hiring individuals to government positions based of race/ethnicity/sex. Is it more important to have qualified people running the country, or having people who are representative of Canadian Diversity. So with the RCMP, do you want the most qualified people to become police constables, or people who are representative of Canada's diversity.

Forget race/ethnicity/sex. What about height? Or baldness?

For example, when was the last time BC or Alta had a short, bald man as premier? Should there be a policy of "equal" representation based on height and hair?

In the US, the Republicans apparently believe in "affirmative" action: Cheney, Ford and Agnew were all balding. For Democrats, you have to go back to Humphrey or Stevenson to find "bald".

And what about height? Since this query is weird, check out this web site:

Presidential Religion/Heights/Affairs

In Quebec, people seem to ignore religion, height, hair and affairs: Trudeau and Levesque were both short and bald. Their religion is a given. Their affairs, I can't say.

Change this assumption a little.

People from both genders and diverse ethnicities are qualified to hold government jobs. If they are not equally represented why not? (Example first nations in the RCMP) If they are not proportionally represented our government should work to enable those communities to provide qualified candidates.

Forced employment quotas do not help community development or build a strong civil service. For our civil service to function it needs diversity. It is the government’s responsibility to encourage the elimination of the barriers to full participation in our civil service for all Canadians.

August 1991, we do have discrimination in Canada. Cultural and ethnic groups do face structural issues from education to job opportunities. You should not diminish the need to support these groups. The First Nations in this country have been systematically subjugated by the Indian Act. To change this we will need to build bridges and not pretend it does not exist.

Ralph Klein has'nt driven while impaired, he's always had a person drive for him when he has been drinking, why is it such a big deal that he drinks, all of the people in the Liberal, and New Democrat, caucaus smoked pot, and probably still do, but nobodies complained about that in the media.

What does that have to do with employement equity?

Ralph must be doing okay as Albertan's keep voting for him. Their province by the way has the best health care in the country and with the work they are doing it will get better.

Yes Ralph is a drunk, but he seems to be functional.

You're right, my comments really have nothing to do with Employment Equity and perhaps belong elsewhere.

Getting back to the point I don't really agree with afirmative action programs as they don't really help with long term problems minority communities might have. However they really don't affect my job prospects so I'm not overly concerned about them either.

Alliance, perhaps you could enlighten us with some information on the hiring practices of the RCMP.

Ralph must be doing okay as Albertan's keep voting for him.

By that principle, I guess you must also be a Chretien fan then.

On affirmative action, it's important to note that most programmes stipulate that the individual must be qualified. Those that don't are flawed, IMO.

These programmes seem to be created to introduce certain groups into higher-paying jobs, from which they've been excluded in the past. I think the government should be paying more attention to the general problem of lower wages in this new economy.