Voter Registration Explanation Please

Will someone please help me by explaining to a Canadian newbie why voter registration is such an issue in the US?

I don't understand the public registration as a Democrat, Republican or non-committed. Why do you have to declare this when the ballot is secret? What if you change your mind after you register?

Why isn't the voters list automated from tax-rolls etc.?

The upcoming presidential election is certainly exciting, but I can't understand the issues that I read about voter registration.

Thanks.

Will someone please help me by explaining to a Canadian newbie why voter registration is such an issue in the US?

It's not that big an issue at the local level, but is grist for the political mill come federal election time. Multiple voter registrations in one or more precincts presents an administrative nightmare.

I don't understand the public registration as a Democrat, Republican or non-committed. Why do you have to declare this when the ballot is secret? What if you change your mind after you register?

Americans don't have to declare any party affiliation, but there are states with closed primaries for the individual parties.

Why isn't the voters list automated from tax-rolls etc.?

Because not all taxpayers are US citizens. Some are convicted felons, minors, or even dead. Many citizens are mobile and change addresses between election cycles.

The upcoming presidential election is certainly exciting, but I can't understand the issues that I read about voter registration.

Thanks.

The political process is just getting ready for the post election squabbling for close ballot races. America (and Canada) have always had a small percentage of voter fraud, spoiled ballots, overcounts, undercounts, refused voters, etc. Life goes on....

1. Voter registration is a big issue because there's a history of voter fraud in the US (party politicians registering names from the cemetary and having people show up at the polls multiple times to swing elections, etc.).

2. Public registration by party identity is not required. For example, I am officially "unenrolled" meaning I am registered to vote but am not an official member of any political party. (I don't call it "independent" because there is an Independent Party in some states.) The only benefit to being unenrolled is that I can vote in any party's primaries in my state. Massachusetts is a semi-closed primary state, meaning that (for exmaple) registered Republicans can only vote among the Republican candidates on primary day. In my case, I can vote on any party's slate of candidates -- on primary day I am able to select which party's ballot I would like to vote on. When it comes to the general election (Nov 4), party affiliation does not matter. You can vote for anyone and can change your mind up to the point of entering your vote. Party affiliation trends are only noteworthy this year because they are a measure of the public's inclination as the general election date approaches.

3. Voter registration is not automatic because the US has a fairly libertarian streak in it -- there are very few government services in in the US where people are automatically enrolled. As with a driver's license, you have to make the effort to get yourself registered to vote, which I actually prefer.

Edited by Charles Anthony
deleted re-copied Opening Post

I would say that there's more voter fraud in the US at least since GW put in his name on the ballot. Why? His friends who created the software for the computers, helped him win the 2000 and especially 2004 election.

Not true.....voter fraud was far more rampant in prior years. The 1960 election is a famous standout in this regard. "His friends" did not create the software.

Thanks for the replies - now I understand better given that you have to "opt-in" so to speak. Once registered do you stay registered for ever or do you have to register for each election?

Once you register, you remain registered in that district provided you keep voting. I think if you go three election cycles (6 years) without casting a ballot, some districts can purge you from their voter rolls. If you move to a new address within the same congressional district, you need only update your address. If you move to a new congressional district or state, you need to register anew in that new location.