Post Election Spending 2008

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Prime Minister Stephen Harper closed the Sommet de la Francophonie in Quebec City on Sunday by announcing $100 million in aid for developing countries to fight climate change.

Harper said his government has always been committed to finding a solution to global warming and understands that some poorer countries don't have enough resources to do the same.

"That's why I'm announcing that the government of Canada will add $100 million of aid to developing countries particularly vulnerable to climate change," Harper said.

It is always nice to be able to give out these gift bags of shwag after a party. Just send the bill to the Canadian taxpayer and ignore that this wasn't announced in promises before the election or during the election. Oh yes, it will be within the budget we are promised. However, it is over the amount that the Tories promised to keep spending at.

So, by all means give $100 million to developing nations for help on climate change. But please indicate where the $100 million cut is coming in Canada.

Edited by jdobbin

It is always nice to be able to give out these gift bags of shwag after a party. Just send the bill to the Canadian taxpayer and ignore that this wasn't announced in promises before the election or during the election. Oh yes, it will be within the budget we are promised. However, it is over the amount that the Tories promised to keep spending at.

So, by all means give $100 million to developing nations for help on climate change. But please indicate where the $100 million cut is coming in Canada.

It's important - because it's French - and because the Tories believe this will please Quebec.

Get ready for more. This is just the start of yet another desperate effort to buy Quebec votes.

But don't worry, when the Liberals get in it will be their turn again to do the same thing.

Its still a waste of money no matter what.

I don't think it's so much that it's a waste of money. It's whether we can afford it given what looms ahead. In good times I think most Canadians would approve of this. You can bet this is one expenditure the Liberals won't dare criticize. If they did, they're "caring" side would come into question and open to attack.

I don't think it's so much that it's a waste of money. It's whether we can afford it given what looms ahead. In good times I think most Canadians would approve of this. You can bet this is one expenditure the Liberals won't dare criticize. If they did, they're "caring" side would come into question and open to attack.

That is what I was talking about actually. I'd have had no problem with this last year. Now though....

I am against almost any foreign aid so I don't like this at all. There are Canadians who are poor and live in squalor who could use this money much more.

The social housing in Toronto is in total disrepair and needs to be cleaned up, as seen on W5.

But don't worry, when the Liberals get in it will be their turn again to do the same thing.

I am looking for any new Liberal leader to take a hard line on spending. So far the Tories have not shown any control on the subject.

I have no problem if the government thinks it is a priority. Just make a $100 million cut elsewhere.

I suspect this is a "look good" announcement that was expected of us because we were the host. In the end, the expense will be over several years and probably come out of our already allotted foreign aid budget.

Come on, they might be politicians, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. (I can't believe I just said that).

Announced during the election and re-announced at the conference is the $25 million given to TV5.

http://www.isria.info/RESTRICTED/D/2008/OC...tober2008_4.htm

This year, Canada will chair the conference of ministers responsible for TV5 MONDE.

As part of this, we are allocating an extra $25 million to TV5 over the next five years.

We also contribute to La Francophonie by striving to promote international democracy, peace and security.

It is a large amount of money for a private non-profit network.

The re-announcement comes on the same day that NBC Universal announces it is cutting its budget by $500 million because of the world economic situation.

Announced during the election and re-announced at the conference is the $25 million given to TV5.

http://www.isria.info/RESTRICTED/D/2008/OC...tober2008_4.htm

It is a large amount of money for a private non-profit network.

The re-announcement comes on the same day that NBC Universal announces it is cutting its budget by $500 million because of the world economic situation.

Shall we axe the cbc too? I wouldn't have a problem with that. This above is a waste of money. Those Quebec votes are expensive. Pandering is no way to get votes and creates a culture of entitlement. I am not happy with Harper about this...

Shall we axe the cbc too? I wouldn't have a problem with that. This above is a waste of money. Those Quebec votes are expensive. Pandering is no way to get votes and creates a culture of entitlement. I am not happy with Harper about this...

I'm on the record that the CBC should be funded in other ways. In exchange for eliminating all commercials on the main CBC network, I think they should receive funding from the private networks who would stand to benefit. All American TV film and series should be eliminated and the only thing on the CBC should be Canadian or international co-productions.

I think the CBC should get out of sports just as CBC Radio has. This is a gift to the private networks as well.

I think that the CBC should not receive a dime from the taxpayer. I think it should come from private TV, radio, satellite and cable producers.

The CBC should be a completely Canadian, non-commercial enterprise provided as a public service paid for by the profitable media. The budget would be a lot smaller given it does not buy U.S. programming or sports.

In regards to the news, I think that a compromise can be reached. The CBC could stop doing all news broadcasts if all the networks, Canadian Press and major newspapers media owners agreed to take over CBC Newsworld. The private non-profit could then do national and local news operations for the CBC radio and TV networks. A press council would be responsible for editorial content.

In the end: no taxpayer money for the CBC, a major gift to the networks by removing a competitor for sports and commercial TV and film properties and the price for it is to operate a non-profit news service for local and national interests as well as funding a much smaller CBC.

we have a piss poor environmental policy and yet we're giving away hundreds of millions to help the environment elsewhere? I guess this way Harper can say he's helping the environment buy not hurting the oil companies out west.

How about we invest the money in NSERC with the mandate to fund engineering and science projects HERE to develop green technologies, with the caveat that in return, these people/companies sell (for well below market value) or donate for free to developing nations. Then they can sell, for profit, these technologies to developed nations for whatever price they want