B.C. pipeline attacks raise spectre of terrorism

http://www.financialpost.com/news/story.html?id=885290

A second explosion had shredded the earth around a nearby pipeline, sending small amounts of deadly sour gas hissing into the air, and Ms. Mazanek was asked to keep her cell phone close in case she was needed to evacuate kids from the school. Community leaders were on high alert after hearing about the blast, which came overnight about 15 kilometres from her ranch near Tomslake, a small ranching settlement on Highway 2 between the Alberta border and the northern B.C. outpost of Dawson Creek.

Pretty scary. I hope the RCMP is able to get a break in the case.

Pretty scary. I hope the RCMP is able to get a break in the case.
Scary? Hardly. Explosives set off far from people that are too small to seriously damage the line. Nothing to worry about. It is an act of vadalism by a local who is pissed at all of the pollution and land rights violations.

One thing people living in cities may not realize but BC law gives mineral rights holders some pretty sweeping rights to access other people's property in order to extract what they want. The mineral rights holders sometimes abuse these rights and make people very angry.

Edited by Riverwind

It's in BC, the perpetrators if they get caught will get house arrest and some community service, perhaps plead insanity. Thank God for progressive thinking :rolleyes:

Yes, it would be much better to be as conservative as possible and paint everyone with the same brush and treat everything as if it is black and white.

Scary? Hardly. Explosives set off far from people that are too small to seriously damage the line. Nothing to worry about. It is an act of vadalism by a local who is pissed at all of the pollution and land rights violations.

One thing people living in cities may not realize but BC law gives mineral rights holders some pretty sweeping rights to access other people's property in order to extract what they want. The mineral rights holders sometimes abuse these rights and make people very angry.

I think we have seen small acts turn into bigger acts of violence. I thought people on the right were concerned about violence.

Nice try, that didn't happen in Canada in the 50's.

Segregated schools existed in Canada for blacks until the 1950s.

http://www.blackottawa411.com/bhm.htm

The last segregated school in Ontario closed in the 1950s.

Canada doesn't have much to be proud about in terms of segregation. Black and white, I guess.

It's in BC, the perpetrators if they get caught will get house arrest and some community service, perhaps plead insanity. Thank God for progressive thinking :rolleyes:

Yep that is right, REMEMBER WE HAVE A LIBERAL GOVERNMENT OUT HERE! If we still had the Socil Credit party around the criminls would really get punished. But it could be worse, we could get another NDP government, ewwww the thought sends shivers down my back!!

Yep that is right, REMEMBER WE HAVE A LIBERAL GOVERNMENT OUT HERE! If we still had the Socil Credit party around the criminls would really get punished. But it could be worse, we could get another NDP government, ewwww the thought sends shivers down my back!!

Gimme a break. The Social Credit governments were filled with clowns and wackos. Do you have evidence that Social Credit was better at law enforcement or is this more bloviating?

Bill Bennett and Bill Jr were very hard line stance on crime and regulaaaarly went aginst the federal court system for being to easy on crime.

But since it is all relly controlled by Ottawa we will hve to see what Hrper does to tighten the noose on crime in this country.

I say bring back capital punishment for clearly guilty parties.

I bet that would slow crime down!!!

Segregated schools existed in Canada for blacks until the 1950s.

http://www.blackottawa411.com/bhm.htm

Canada doesn't have much to be proud about in terms of segregation. Black and white, I guess.

In the 50's Diefenbaker extended his bill of rights ending that. As far as crime rate goes look at the 50's and look at now. Which era was safer?

Why not just bail out of BC if you hate that type of government, it's a lot easier to switch headquarter buildings than it is for me to switch farms.

In the 50's Diefenbaker extended his bill of rights ending that. As far as crime rate goes look at the 50's and look at now. Which era was safer?

You said that the type of segregation didn't exist in Canada.

Please give some stats about the crime rates. I'd like to see the per capita differences. It isn't enough to say those says were Happy Days where everyone was doing great. Nor am I convinced that some violent domestic crime was even reported.

You said that the type of segregation didn't exist in Canada.

Please give some stats about the crime rates. I'd like to see the per capita differences. It isn't enough to say those says were Happy Days where everyone was doing great. Nor am I convinced that some violent domestic crime was even reported.

The national crime rate has been relatively stable since 1999, with last year's 5% decrease offsetting a 6% hike in 2003. The crime rate declined during the 1990s, after rising throughout most of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
Stats Canada

Visit My Website

Stats Can didn't have the rate in the 50's or I couldn't find it, but this paragraph has said that the national crime rate rose in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, and plateau'd in the 90's perhaps declining slightly. I believe my point still stands.

Visit My Website

A biased site although it has a point.

Visit My Website

Macleans said we're not as goody too shoes as we seem

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...-explosion.html

Another explosion hit an EnCana Corp. sour-gas pipeline in B.C. Friday afternoon, this time near the small community of Tomslake, south of Dawson Creek near the Alberta border, the RCMP said.

"The site of an explosion was discovered at a natural gas wellhead at approximately 12:30 p.m. today," Sgt. Tim Shields said in a news release Friday.

I wonder if they will get new leads from this latest attack.

Stats Can didn't have the rate in the 50's or I couldn't find it, but this paragraph has said that the national crime rate rose in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, and plateau'd in the 90's perhaps declining slightly. I believe my point still stands.

Reporting of crimes certainly rose.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/...-explosion.html

I wonder if they will get new leads from this latest attack.

All three attacks have been on sour gas lines - coincidence or is perpetrator trying to make a point without risking main pipe explosions/shutdowns? A terrorist with a conscience?

The Albertan person of interest arrested previously is in jail on outstanding warrants and could not have planted this latest bomb.

All three attacks have been on sour gas lines - coincidence or is perpetrator trying to make a point without risking main pipe explosions/shutdowns? A terrorist with a conscience?

No such thing. Terrorists tend to start small, and then they like the publicity and attention so much they want to make bigger and bigger bangs to get more press attention. A perfect example is the current controversy in the US regarding Obama and William Ayers. Remember that Ayers group started out blowing up statues. Pretty innocent. But they graduated into nail bombs - or would have if the bomb didn't blow up and kill them.