CTV ought to do some re-vamping

betsy

I spent almost an hour trying to google anything about the recent IMF report but I can't find a single article.

Anyway, what I came across was a blog that indicate the same frustration.

Comment by kody on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 at 11:12 pm:

"Think about that for a moment:

Canada’s performance/readiness relative to all other equivalent/G8 countries in this economic downturn, is perhaps the most relevant piece of information, in this election, but the media has decided not to report it.

It has decided the public needs not see this when they make their decision as to who is best to lead the country in an economic downturn.

Instead the media is content to parrot opposition attacks, and editorialize that Harper is being “defensive”, while at the same time knowingly withholding information from the public that would have a material impact on their decision and that would put a lie to the allegations the media are tacitly supporting.

Aaron,

you must be so proud of your industry."

http://blog.macleans.ca/2008/10/08/btc-fam...-everything-ix/

Yesterday on Question Period, Jane Taber showed she's pathetically incompetent as a co-host of a political talk-show. She spent the precious 8 minutes interview with Dion pressing him with trivial petty questions as to whether he'll quit if he loses. Dion kept deflecting by insisting on talk about "substance" - which amount to him saying he is the best to handle the economy, and attacks on Harper's ability to handle the turmoil. Professional reporters would've easily latched on Dion's bold statements by challenging him what he thinks of the latest IMF report! But no. Taber failed to recognize the plump newsworthy piece of information and not even once mentioned that most recent report that contradicts Dion's assertion.

Question Period fancies itself along the same league of Meet The Press....but it's just actually along the same lines as the Insider! No substance there.

CTV should start revamping its political talk shows. One very promising reporter from the CTV that I would love to host Question Period show is Graham Richardson. He sits for MDuffy every now and then, and boy....does he ever know how to push buttons of either Conservatives, Liberals or anyone. He is tenacious in his questioning and refuses to be deflected!

Jane Taber should be moved to ETalk.

Edited by betsy

I spent almost an hour trying to google anything about the recent IMF report but I can't find a single article.

Anyway, what I came across was a blog that indicate the same frustration.

You couldn't find a single article? Every media organization in the country carried the Canadian Press story on October 8.

Here it is in the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/513968

Canada will outperform other well-off countries but can't escape a global slowdown as the world works through "the most dangerous shock in mature financial markets since the 1930s," the International Monetary Fund says.

The story was one of the leads on CTV that night. However, they also spoke to Royal Bank that issued their report which had a better performance listed for next year.

The main thing is that both economic reports downgraded growth from their last report. It wasn't all peaches and cream and both indicated that Canada was likely to be sideswiped by the U.S

Having not watched television for about 4 years...and now begining to watch again has given me a perspective that is fresh - American talking heads have reached new lows when it comes to journalism...I suspect that these media henchpersons in Canada may be parroting the Americans...I will have to make a study of CTV - and will get back to you. What is interesting on the American side is that their most popular and most respected talking head at CNN is John Roberts - A Canadian and former rock DJ out of Toronto - funny how the Yanks think that their best are home grown... :lol: Not that this has anything to do with anything :blink:

You couldn't find a single article? Every media organization in the country carried the Canadian Press story on October 8.

The Handbook , page 3 , second line 1st paragraph...

"Blame the media, complain that the media doesnt report the good economic news **** "

***even when they do report it, make noise that they dont.