Doesn't anyone care Dion has dual nationality?

Every day I hear the politicians blasting each other for the smallest things... about Harper telling Canadians to buy stocks now, Dion screwing up an interview, etc etc...

What I never hear about anymore is that Dion has dual citizenship with Canada and France... Don't these other politicians or even the media care about that?

I think it is completely unacceptable for the leader (or potential leader) of a country to hold dual nationalities. How can he represent us if he were to have to deal with the other country?

In fact, I don't even think that any regular Canadian should be allowed to have two citizenships.... and certainly not a person who is running for top spot in the government.

I wouldn't even care if on Tuesday the Liberals got a minority... because with a minority gov't there is very little they would be able to pass through to us. I would care immensely though if Dion were our Prime Minister. He is a citizen of France and can barely speak or understand English. He would be a disgrace to Canada.

What I never hear about anymore is that Dion has dual citizenship with Canada and France... Don't these other politicians or even the media care about that?

I think it is completely unacceptable for the leader (or potential leader) of a country to hold dual nationalities. How can he represent us if he were to have to deal with the other country?

In fact, I don't even think that any regular Canadian should be allowed to have two citizenships.... and certainly not a person who is running for top spot in the government.

There is indeed a problem of possible conflicts of interest for anyone with dual citizenship. Yet many countries allow it and recognize it. I am not too sure why.

If Canada were to stop allowing double citizenship, would it do it for all its citizens, or only for certain citizens? In the latter case, would that not be discriminatory?

Nope. Why should it?

The Right Honourable Prime Minister John Turner , dual citizen.

I would care immensely though if Dion were our Prime Minister. He is a citizen of France and can barely speak or understand English. He would be a disgrace to Canada.

I think the bold part is where you have trouble.

Oh well, no one apart from you seems to care.

It could become an issue if Dion wins the election. Right now, his dual citizenship is under the radar.

Never was for Turner, perhaps because he had UK citizenship? Is the "France " part of the equation the problem?

If it becomes an issue, then I bet it is for reasons that are not articulated clearly.

This is stupid... Do you think that Dion will some how be politically influenced by a country that has no connection to him except for his family background? This is a non-issue. Dion has worked hard to have the opportunity to run for Prime Minister, would he really jeopardize it all for a country he has no strong connections with? Are we to be like the Americans, who suggests that only a "natural born" citizen is fit to lead the country?

The Queen, apparently, has no citizenship, and yet she's the Head of State.

Why must you bring up the queen where ever you go? Seriously, what does this have to do with anything? Does the queen need a piece of plastic that proves her loyalty to the country? Even when she has devoted her life to fulfilling her role as the queen? What did you do to earn your citizenship? Pledge some oath? Well the queen did that as well.

Does the queen need a piece of plastic that proves her loyalty to the country?

You see, here is the problem that arises when nationality is strictly equated with citizenship; your identity and allegiances are suddenly decided by legislation. Even if we had a PM descended from Samuel Champlain, who had done stint in the RCMP, had played on a Canadian team in the NHL, made maple syrup in his part time, and was a devout fan of Leonard Cohen, there would still exist the possibility that he could have interests that conflict with Canada's.

You see, here is the problem that arises when nationality is strictly equated with citizenship; your identity and allegiances are suddenly decided by legislation. Even if we had a PM descended from Samuel Champlain, who had done stint in the RCMP, had played on a Canadian team in the NHL, made maple syrup in his part time, and was a devout fan of Leonard Cohen, there would still exist the possibility that he could have interests that conflict with Canada's.

Dual citizenship in a leader of the country could pose a problem though. Although extremely unlikely, what would happen if France were to declare war on Canada?

Dual citizenship in a leader of the country could pose a problem though. Although extremely unlikely, what would happen if France were to declare war on Canada?

Well, if it ever came down to such a conflict of interest, he would just have to choose the Canadian side. If such measures were called for, he would denounced his French citizenship.

Well, if it ever came down to such a conflict of interest, he would just have to choose the Canadian side. If such measures were called for, he would denounced his French citizenship.

Sure, it seems obvious - France is one of our closest allies, after all. What if Harper had dual American citizenship?

Well its just my opinion but I believe that if you want the top job in the country then you ditch the other citizenship, simple as that. When I joined the military I had to renounce my dual citizenship. Why should you have to do so if its okay to hold the top spot and not do so?

Bit of a double standard if you ask me. Now come on, tell me why its okay to demand this of an ordinary military member but not the top dog.

Dion has said over and over again during this election that he loves Canada. He has also said if he became PM and if he had to give up his citizenship to France he would, so what the problem? As far as his speaking english, Harper has three ministers from Quebec, when they speak english its very hard to understand them and so they speak in French instead. I find Dion's english alot clearer than theirs.

I was too young to know or care that Turner had dual citizenship... and I didn't know that until I just read it in this forum.

I don't care that it is liberal... I would complain about having a dual-citizen prime minister no matter what party they represent.

I started thinking about dual citizenship and decided that Canada shouldn't allow it for any citizens when that Lebanon thing happened and piles of them came rushing back out of convenience. Being Canadian shouldn't just be a passport of convenience.

I think if you are born elsewhere and want to immigrate to Canada... then become Canadian and don't look back. Just like my parents did when they came here from Holland and Belgium. If you are born here and only have citizenship because of your parent's lineage, then give it up and be Canadian - as that is what you are anyway.

Back in 1995 when Canada had a dispute with Spain over fishing rights - if Chretien also had Spanish citizenship would he be able to represent Canada impartially? Perhaps he could... but there would have definitely been a conflict of interest.

Dion has said over and over again during this election that he loves Canada. He has also said if he became PM and if he had to give up his citizenship to France he would, so what the problem? As far as his speaking english, Harper has three ministers from Quebec, when they speak english its very hard to understand them and so they speak in French instead. I find Dion's english alot clearer than theirs.

So he couldn't understand a simple question asked of him 3 times in an interview yesterday in Halifax. He had is aides there, but they couldn't help him... so if he has a crucial meeting one day with President Obama is he going to have a translator with him to explain what is being said? A greater percentage of Canada is English than French, so the Prime Minister should be 100% fluent in English... which Dion isn't.

So he couldn't understand a simple question asked of him 3 times in an interview yesterday in Halifax. He had is aides there, but they couldn't help him... so if he has a crucial meeting one day with President Obama is he going to have a translator with him to explain what is being said? A greater percentage of Canada is English than French, so the Prime Minister should be 100% fluent in English... which Dion isn't.

As it was said on the news, it was the grammar of the question, like the verb. When the guy asked the question he kept changing the words. You may know that english to french in a sentence looks backwards to english speaking. He wasn't trying to out of answering the question and I'm sure Harper had a gay times showing to the tape to the media. The media that Harper doesn't want to talk to most of the time. The Cons are dipping lower and lower morally!

As it was said on the news, it was the grammar of the question, like the verb. When the guy asked the question he kept changing the words. You may know that english to french in a sentence looks backwards to english speaking. He wasn't trying to out of answering the question and I'm sure Harper had a gay times showing to the tape to the media. The media that Harper doesn't want to talk to most of the time. The Cons are dipping lower and lower morally!

So you are admitting that he cannot speak English very well... since he can't grasp English verb tenses - I taught 14 year old kids in Indonesia that had a better grasp of English than Dion, and he stands a reasonable chance of becoming Prime Minister of Canada?! Pathetic.

So what's he going to do, sell us out to the French? Are we going to become part of a new French Empire?

Harper is not a dual citizen, and he's more likely to sell us out to the Americans. So we have a dual citizen who is more pro-Canadian than a non-dual citizen.

Yeah, likely nothing would happen... still the potential for a conflict of interest is there.

In my opinion if you call yourself a Canadian... then be a Canadian and only that. If you want to be something else... then see you later... we don't need you.

tell me why its okay to demand this of an ordinary military member but not the top dog.

So no one can answer this question or even attempt to answer it. Once again, why is it okay for Dion to hold dual citizenship when he wants to be prime minister yet if you want to be a lowly ordinary member of the military you must give up your dual citizenship. I've yet to see anyone argue that it would be okay to hold dual citizenship as a military member

Is it because being an ordinary military member is way more sensitive and important than being PM?

So no one can answer this question or even attempt to answer it. Once again, why is it okay for Dion to hold dual citizenship when he wants to be prime minister yet if you want to be a lowly ordinary member of the military you must give up your dual citizenship. I've yet to see anyone argue that it would be okay to hold dual citizenship as a military member

Is it because being an ordinary military member is way more sensitive and important than being PM?

I can not find a link that requires military members too give up there citizenship. When I was in the Reserves we had an American citizen, an Australian and a New Zealander all involved in the Canadian Military.