Canada Adds 107,000 Jobs in September

Jobu

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/10/10/job-stats.html

Statistics Canada has surprised economists and tossed a wild card into the federal election campaign, reporting that the Canadian economy generated a record 107,000 new jobs in September.

The massive number was totally unexpected, as analysts were expecting a modest pick-up in the 12,500 range.

"The agency said employment increased across a number of industries, including health care and social assistance, business, building and other support services, agriculture, construction and natural resources."

More in September than in any month since StatsCan started asking the question.

Edited by Jobu

I was watching CBC morning news this AM and they started the news with the jobs. There was a preamble of doom and gloom, how they were expecting the financial woes to manifest itself this September when they said contrary to their thoughts that the number of jobs created was a record. That there hasn't been this many jobs created since 2002....Their disappointment was palpable.

Still they were able to find the lead lining in the silver cloud....that most of the jobs were part time.

I was watching CBC morning news this AM and they started the news with the jobs. There was a preamble of doom and gloom, how they were expecting the financial woes to manifest itself this September when they said contrary to their thoughts that the number of jobs created was a record. That there hasn't been this many jobs created since 2002....Their disappointment was palpable.

Still they were able to find the lead lining in the silver cloud....that most of the jobs were part time.

Actually, there hasn't been this many jobs created in over 30 years, I believe.

I'm sure that the Liberal spin will either be that many of them were part time.

Thing is, many jobs ARE part time. A lot of people who enter the workforce are looking for part time work. The original estimates of 12,500 were total jobs, full and part-time. This is a lot more!

Not only that, job increases are everywhere. Quebec and Ontario saw MORE employment, not less as Jack and Dion have been claiming. Manufacturing saw 20,000 more jobs too. MORE, not less.

Between this, the IMF's report that our banks are in the best shape in the world, the Statscan report that wages have outpaced inflation, World Economic Forum coming out and saying that Canada's finances are the strongest in the world, the official report from the Department of Finance that we are comfortably in surplus (the ONLY G7 country to do so), at least now we know for a fact one thing that most intelligent people have always suspected: Dion is either a pathological liar or he is completely inept.

Don't worry, the Liberals surely won't let these facts stand in their way, no other facts have prevented them from selling their doom and gloom, we care, we're here for you BS.

They'll be there for you alright with higher taxes and thieving back room operators. If we're stupid enough to give them power again I bet their financial woes, that they haven't been able to figure out for the last 2-1/2 years, will magicaly disappear.

Between this, the IMF's report that our banks are in the best shape in the world, the Statscan report that wages have outpaced inflation, World Economic Forum coming out and saying that Canada's finances are the strongest in the world, the official report from the Department of Finance that we are comfortably in surplus (the ONLY G7 country to do so), at least now we know for a fact one thing that most intelligent people have always suspected: Dion is either a pathological liar or he is completely inept.

The IMF also said Canada can't expect not to be sideswiped.

Harper said he would not bail out the banks. He doesn't call what he today a bail out but he can't seem to find the words to explain what he is doing.

The jobs announcement is good news. Does it give an indication of how these trying times will be handled by Harper in the months ahead? I don't even think Harper would be as bold to say that it is all peaches and cream ahead. If the U.S. is in recession like the IMF says, it will be hard to keep charging ahead.

The IMF also said Canada can't expect not to be sideswiped.

Harper said he would not bail out the banks. He doesn't call what he today a bail out but he can't seem to find the words to explain what he is doing.

The jobs announcement is good news. Does it give an indication of how these trying times will be handled by Harper in the months ahead? I don't even think Harper would be as bold to say that it is all peaches and cream ahead. If the U.S. is in recession like the IMF says, it will be hard to keep charging ahead.

If you don't understand what the CMHC transfer today is, and that it doesn't cost a cent, and that it's not a bailout, I feel sorry for you. Just a little, though.

I'm sure that the Liberal spin will either be that many of them were part time.

Thing is, many jobs ARE part time. A lot of people who enter the workforce are looking for part time work. The original estimates of 12,500 were total jobs, full and part-time. This is a lot more!

Not only that, job increases are everywhere. Quebec and Ontario saw MORE employment, not less as Jack and Dion have been claiming. Manufacturing saw 20,000 more jobs too. MORE, not less.

Still people want to pull over and let crazy drive the bus. I think the most truthful words out of a politician this year were "Canadians are stupid."

If you don't understand what the CMHC transfer today is, and that it doesn't cost a cent, and that it's not a bailout, I feel sorry for you. Just a little, though.

The parroting of what the PM is saying is to be expected from followers of the Conservative party.

The opposition may down play this but...

“There's no poking holes in this report, as Canadian job gains were resoundingly impressive across the board and more than 10 times the pace expected by consensus,” commented economists at Bank of Nova Scotia.

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/st...y/Business/home

....fact remains it is indicative of the strength of the economy and the need to manage it conservatively.

This part is interesting:

"This survey was conducted in the middle of September, just as the financial turmoil began to gather serious momentum, so even this relatively timely report may be largely viewed as old news," agreed Douglas Porter, an economist with Capital Markets.

and...

But almost all of this increase was in part-time work, representing 97,000 positions.

So some kid starts working at Tim Hortons when dad just lost his job at John Deere a few months ago...

Edited by kengs333

I expect you saw what you wanted to see.

You should try looking in a mirror when you say that.

What am I thinking, you're a Liberal supporter, hypocrisy and willfull blindness is a hallmark of Liberal supporters, well, Liberals in general actually.

Also, it doesn't state what kind of jobs we're talking about, what the pay is. So some kid starts working at Tim Hortons when dad just lost his job at John Deere a few months ago...

You just keep fishin, you aint catching anything but keep trying anyway.

Nice to see a post with zero substance and lots of mere speculation, opinion and fantasy instead. Who needs reality when the opposite is so much fun, right.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

You should try looking in a mirror when you say that.

What am I thinking, you're a Liberal supporter, hypocrisy and willfull blindness is a hallmark of Liberal supporters, well, Liberals in general actually.

And Tories resort to low gutter politics when they get angry which seems to be a lot of the time.