Dion's 3 strikes interview

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same question to you then since you are apparently so much smarter than the rest of us. What would you have done?

What I would have done is, first off tell the idiot reporter to go back to grade 6 and re-learn some english, so he can actually ask some questions that make sense.

Then I would have needed to clarify just when it was I was supposed to have become PM. The way the question was asked I would have still been opposition leader 6 months before. Again idiot reporter!

Was I PM for the last 2-1/2 years, or simply elected exactly on the day he wants my decisions to be made?

The muddiness of the question makes it almost unanswerable without clarification.

I understood the question first go-round. If you didn't then perhaps you need to learn better English. Is this your second language too?

As to asking me what I would have done - hey, I'm not the one who is suggesting Harper should have done anything differently. You guys are.

Funny I thought his plan had to do with a bunch of experts and a 30 day deadline?

Those experts who have been buried in deep tunnels for the last year with ravenous pit bulls out front to keep any non-government types from asking them questions?

Why hasn't he already asked them their opinions and formed a plan? Clearly Harper has been talking with them for a long time, and has been planning for this at least a year.

I understand quite clearly. Harper has been saying for weeks that "everything is ok" and yet he felt the need to give the banks $25 billion.

Clearly you don't understand or you wouldn't be suggesting he gave them $25 billion.

The situation is changing, is fluid and unpredictable. The opinions of economists and financial experts who were surveyed 30 and 60 days ago are quite a bit more optimistic than the opinions of economists and financial experts surveyed last week. Far more of them expect a recession in the US than was the case earlier, for example As the situation evolves, an intelligent man considers the new data and formulates different plans.

And here's something for people to think about. Harper is clearly an intelligent man. Either he already had this mortgage buyout as a possible plan if things got bad - in which case he was planning for all kinds of economic possibilities - or he thought it up on the fly in response to a very sudden change in circumstances. In either event, good on him.

Dion - we're still waiting for him to formulate any kind of a plan. If Harper could suddenly think up this mortgage buyout to inject liquidity into the market then why couldn't Dion come up with something more than "I'll take 30 days to ask around and see if anyone can tell me what I should do."

If it is such an easy question, answer it!

You have been asked three times no with still no response, guess you are no better than a Quebecer who has trouble with the english language.

Okay, now I'm sure, I'm talking to someone who just doesn't get it. I've told you multiple times I'm not running for PM, therefore there is no requirement for me to answer that question. What is so far beyond your comprehension about that?

You on the other hand seem to be stuck on this absolutely stupid and irrelevant point, give your head a shake man. Where did I say its an easy question to answer? I didn't, but apparently you don't comprehend all that well. What I said was that it was easy to understand, not answer. In actual fact its a pretty involved question.

If the best that Dion supporters have is demanding that forum members answer for him, well, it doesn;t say much for Dion or the intelligence level of his supporters.

Now, once more, I'm not running for PM, Dion is. Its his question to answer, not mine. Do you understand this very simple and basic concept, or is it still beyond your comprehension, would you like me to draw a picture for you? Would that help you to understand?

The muddiness of the question makes it almost unanswerable without clarification.

It doesn't surprise me that you have trouble understanding what was asked, your prior posts would indicate someone who has difficulty with such concepts. Everyone who saw the interview understood what was being asked, except apparently you, and of course Dion.

Um.... FEBRUARY 14th??? Poor lad can't even read a calender.

Actually I noticed the error with the date but figured the poster had just slipped up and did actually know when to vote. I find it very telling that you would automatically make an assumption and then attempt to make an issue of that assumption, very Liberal of you. I've already mentioned that you remind me of a kid in a school yard. This only reinforces that impression even more. So far all you've done is stubbornly repeat the same irrelevancies over and over while refusing to acknowledge self evident truths that every one else can see. You should try growing up and actually employing some maturity in your aproach.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Okay, now I'm sure, I'm talking to someone who just doesn't get it. I've told you multiple times I'm not running for PM, therefore there is no requirement for me to answer that question. What is so far beyond your comprehension about that?

Still no answer eh? Convenient cop out though.

You on the other hand seem to be stuck on this absolutely stupid and irrelevant point, give your head a shake man. Where did I say its an easy question to answer? I didn't, but apparently you don't comprehend all that well. What I said was that it was easy to understand, not answer. In actual fact its a pretty involved question.

Funny this didn't seem irrelevant or stupid when you conservatives were making a HUGE deal about it.

If the best that Dion supporters have is demanding that forum members answer for him, well, it doesn;t say much for Dion or the intelligence level of his supporters.

And the fact no one seems to be able to answer says what about the forum members?

Now, once more, I'm not running for PM, Dion is. Its his question to answer, not mine. Do you understand this very simple and basic concept, or is it still beyond your comprehension, would you like me to draw a picture for you? Would that help you to understand?

So " I am not running for PM" = "But the Liberals..." ?

It doesn't surprise me that you have trouble understanding what was asked, your prior posts would indicate someone who has difficulty with such concepts. Everyone who saw the interview understood what was being asked, except apparently you, and of course Dion.

Oh a conservative questions my intelligence. There's a newsflash. Everyone who isn't on the kool-aid is apparently an idiot.

Ofcourse asking a question in both the present and past tense would make sense to you.

Actually I noticed the error with the date but figured the poster had just slipped up and did actually know when to vote. I find it very telling that you would automatically make an assumption and then attempt to make an issue of that assumption, very Liberal of you. I've already mentioned that you remind me of a kid in a school yard. This only reinforces that impression even more. So far all you've done is stubbornly repeat the same irrelevancies over and over while refusing to acknowledge self evident truths that every one else can see. You should try growing up and actually employing some maturity in your aproach.

So I am a kid in school for repeating things over and over, and yet you do the same thing and I can only conclude you are a Rhodes Scholar.

Neo-Con 101: When all else fails attack the person presenting the opposing veiwpoint.

:rolleyes:

Clearly you don't understand or you wouldn't be suggesting he gave them $25 billion.

The situation is changing, is fluid and unpredictable. The opinions of economists and financial experts who were surveyed 30 and 60 days ago are quite a bit more optimistic than the opinions of economists and financial experts surveyed last week. Far more of them expect a recession in the US than was the case earlier, for example As the situation evolves, an intelligent man considers the new data and formulates different plans.

And here's something for people to think about. Harper is clearly an intelligent man. Either he already had this mortgage buyout as a possible plan if things got bad - in which case he was planning for all kinds of economic possibilities - or he thought it up on the fly in response to a very sudden change in circumstances. In either event, good on him.

Dion - we're still waiting for him to formulate any kind of a plan. If Harper could suddenly think up this mortgage buyout to inject liquidity into the market then why couldn't Dion come up with something more than "I'll take 30 days to ask around and see if anyone can tell me what I should do."

I understand it perfectly. See the Warren Buffet thread.

I understood the question first go-round. If you didn't then perhaps you need to learn better English. Is this your second language too?

As to asking me what I would have done - hey, I'm not the one who is suggesting Harper should have done anything differently. You guys are.

So if you were made PM today, what would you have done 6 months ago?

30 days is necessary because their is a transition time because Harper needs time too shred all his secret documents and a new cabinet has too be sworn in etc. It would not make sense too come up with a precise plan till his finance minister is in place.

Dear Keng333, I just got your pm. I prefer to answer it on this board for I'm not really into private discussions.

What is it about this question? First of all I did not actually follow this whole thread so I don't really understand how or why this question came about.

You want me to say what I would've done 6 months ago if I were the Prime Minister today.

Well what the heck do I know? As I told you before, I am not an economist. I don't know the complex issue about economy. I assume that this has something to do with the economy?

And second, I am not in politics.

Since you've been persistent about this question....explain why you're asking this?

What exactly is your point?

Edited by betsy

Dear Keng333, I just got your pm. I prefer to answer it on this board for I'm not really into private discussions.

What is it about this question? First of all I did not actually follow this whole thread so I don't really understand how or why this question came about.

You want me to say what I would've done 6 months ago if I were the Prime Minister today.

Well what the heck do I know? As I told you before, I am not an economist. I don't know the complex issue about economy. I assume that this has something to do with the economy?

And second, I am not in politics.

Since you've been persistent about this question....explain why you're asking this?

What exactly is your point?

I'm trying to figure how why you feel yourself justified in critcizing Dion for supposed inability to understand the question that had been posed to him, when you yourself are completely incapable of noticing that you were asked an illogical question.

The question asked was: if you were made Prime Minister right now, what would you have done 6 months ago?

You do not see the problem with that question?

If you were made Prime Minister "right now" you could not have been Prime Minister 6 months ago.

Are you telling me that if you were asked such a question on camera, you would simply answer the question despite the fact that it was illogical, or would ask for clarification? And repeatedly ask for clarification until the question was properly and logically posed?

Edited by kengs333

I'm trying to figure how why you feel yourself justified in critcizing Dion for supposed inability to understand the question that had been posed to him, when you yourself are completely incapable of noticing that you were asked an illogical question.

The question asked was: if you were made Prime Minister right now, what would you have done 6 months ago?

If you were made Prime Minister "right now" you could not have been Prime Minister 6 months ago.

Are you telling me that if you were asked such a question on camera, you would simply answer the question despite the fact that it was illogical, or would ask for clarification? And repeatedly ask for clarification until the question was properly and logically posed?

The way the question was worded may've been faulty....but obviously I still managed to grasp what you're really asking me to answer! Wrongly put or not - it is still perfectly understandable.

Hence I've responded to this question somewhere on this thread: I am not an economist!

Your private message asking me this same question which I've already answered suggests that obviously, my response was not the kind of answer you wanted to hear. :lol:

C'mon, give it up. Stop torturing yourself.

As I've innocently demonstrated by example, Dion understood the question.

Edited by betsy

The way the question was worded may've been faulty....but obviously I still managed to grasp what you're really asking me to answer! Wrongly put or not - it is still perfectly understandable.

Ah, you see... you can't admit that you made a mistake. The question was illogical, and, moreover, I'm not the one who initially asked it. :lol:

So what you're saying is that you would answer a question that you didn't properly understand based on what you think was meant rather than trying to get clarification so that you could answer it properly... :rolleyes:

You see, I wanted to keep this private so you wouldn't look like a fool in public... but suit yourself...

Now that you mentioned it - not only was the question repeated two or three times, but his own staff came to clarify it for him! He had clarification from his own staff.

I am more inclined to conclude the following: Dion does not have a plan prepared and Dion also does not understand the language spoken by majority of the population.

Now that you mentioned it - not only was the question repeated two or three times, but his own staff came to clarify it for him! He had clarification from his own staff.

I am more inclined to conclude the following: Dion does not have a plan prepared and Dion also does not understand the language spoken by majority of the population.

And I'm inclined you're in no position to judge...

Whatever the case, Harper has totally ruined any chance of having any credibility in Quebec. Toooo bad. :lol::lol::lol:

Hence I've responded to this question somewhere on this thread: I am not an economist!

Your private message asking me this same question which I've already answered suggests that obviously, my response was not the kind of answer you wanted to hear. :lol:

The way the question was worded was faulty. The question can not be answered without clarification of tenses.

You continue to worry about that and HARPER does not even have the guts too face unfriendly Media.

Harper stopped his plane too comment on this. Do you have any idea how that would upset the French in the country by criticizing a French speaking politician. What was he thinking. Does he not want any votes in Quebec. If the public did not like it they would have criticized Dion for it.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/p...per-attack.aspx

It was a poorly worded question that was compounded by the interviewer's mangled attempt to clarify it. The lack of jounalistic ethics, political opportunism and the partisan crowing that's followed is just par for course.

CTV News also appears to have screwed up ethically by assuring Dion that the raw footage of his floundering would never appear. Once they stopped to consider that the public is entitled to pass judgment on the candidate's language abilities, which are a valid election issue, they had no other appropriate choice but to go back on their word and make the evidence available. Since they were forced to contradict themselves, there is not much sense in blaming either the Liberals or the Conservatives for insisting on one pole of the contradiction. It's not always easy for a reporter, editor, or producer to apply the ethical principles of journalism on the fly, but the CTV must wear some egg on its face for this preposterous October Surprise.

Comment

Speaking of doing things on the fly...anyone who believes that anyone else could possibly have planned for or have a plan for what's been happening in the economy these last few weeks and days is deluding themselves. The capacity that some people have for suspending their disbelief is...beyond belief. It seems really desperate and has...no class. There's no other way to put it.

Not only was it a poorly worded question it was a really stupid one. If Dion should be faulted for anything it was for trying to answer it in the first place. That said the fact he agreed to start over tells me his instinct that something was amiss is reliable. This is the sort of instinct I think any good skipper who's steering through uncharted stormy waters should have. Steady as she goes under these conditions is the sure sign of a cock-sure amatuer. Something I see all to regularly on the water.

At the time of the interview Dion was clearly under the impression the segment was going to be re-done. Its clear that Dion was sideswiped on this and if taking advantage of that is what gets your rocks off you probably deserve what's coming.

Okay, we are talking about the Dion interview. The question that you asked is:

" if you were made Prime Minister right now, what would you have done 6 months ago."

Keng333, your question is as you say, illogical. No wonder I couldn't believe a professional journalist would ask such a befuddled question - and at a taped interview at that! It's not the same question that was asked.

Here is the actual question of the interview which I've lifted up from the link:

“If you were prime minister now, what would you have done about the economy and this crisis that Mr. Harper hasn't done?” There is nothing wrong with this question.

Edited by betsy

" if you were made Prime Minister right now, what would you have done 6 months ago."

Keng333, your question is as you say, illogical. No wonder I couldn't believe a professional journalist would ask such a befuddled question - and at a taped interview at that! It's not the same question that was asked.

Here is the actual question of the interview which I've lifted up from the link:

“If you were prime minister now, what would you have done about the economy and this crisis that Mr. Harper hasn't done?” There is nothing wrong with this question.

http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/516042

Please check out this link. You are going to follow Harper right off the bridge.

You see, you're just digging yourself in deeper. Please feel free to stop making a fool of yourself.

First, I didn't initially ask this question; another member posed it, and you answered it incorrectly. I simply cut and pasted it and asked you to answer it properly.

Secondly, I believe that the question was intentionally structured as it was to see whether you would recognize the illogic. You didn't, yet you still gave an answer based on what you thought it meant.

Yeah, this is asked a couple days before an election, so Dion asked for clarification whether this meant that he had been elected in 2006, if it was just hypothetical, or of it was suggesting if he were elected on Oct. 14. I saw the clip, the interviewer was being a little vague. And it wouldn't come as a surprise, since the media is trying to get Harper re-elected.