The Great Quebec/Ontario Carbon Tax Revolution

At least Harper wants to make it law to reduce emissions by 20% by 2020. I'll take a 20% decrease instead of just trading around carbon credits any day.

And they'll get there, even just by talking to it (or "wanting" to make the law - they've been around over two years already - with environment as a top priority)? You know that, for sure. That crystal ball (or is it ideological affiliation?) must be really helpful... When are we going to meet the aliens?

And they'll get there, even just by talking to it (or "wanting" to make the law - they've been around over two years already - with environment as a top priority)? You know that, for sure. That crystal ball (or is it ideological affiliation?) must be really helpful... When are we going to meet the aliens?

No, of course I can't say for sure. Neither can you. How can anyone defend a "what if"?

All we have is party track record. One one hand we have a few broken Tory promises. On the other we have a hand that falls down and breaks under the weight of a ZILLION broken Liberal promises!

Nothing in life is a certainty but if you're going to place a bet you should look closely at the odds rather than just picking "the horse with the nice nose".

No, of course I can't say for sure. Neither can you. How can anyone defend a "what if"?

OK, so we won't be branding carbon trading as a "fifth wheel" while Tories would be law a "working strategy" just yet? Not without at least an attempt at logical argumentation?

They're not taking the side of Quebec. McGuinty has made this decision based on Ontario's environmental policy, and the best way to carry it out. The issue is the environment, not language, not seperation. The inaction of the federal government (due to the opposition parties in Parliament) puts the responsibility on the provincial governments to move forward with their own programs, as environmental policy is not exclusively federal or provincial jurisdiction, it is a shared jurisdiction.

In your own mind.

Mc.guinty is taking unilaterally taking an irresponsible course of action relating to the future welfare of the residents of Ontario.

Wild Bill said it right:

At least Harper wants to make it law to reduce emissions by 20% by 2020. I'll take a 20% decrease instead of just trading around carbon credits any day.

OK, so we won't be branding carbon trading as a "fifth wheel" while Tories would be law a "working strategy" just yet? Not without at least an attempt at logical argumentation?

Am I understanding you correctly? You are attacking the Tory policy of legally demanding an actual cut in carbon emissions because we don't know for sure if the government will actually follow through.

Meanwhile, you are championing a system of carbon trading that doesn't actually cut any carbon emissions at all! It just allows rich countries to buy credits from poor ones.

If I've misunderstood you please explain.

The Conservatives' plan is better, but the reality is that it will not be passed by Parliament at this point, due to the opposition parties blocking it, and so the provinces are stepping up to the plate. How is McGuinty's plan irresponsible? Do you oppose the plan itself, or that Quebec is involved?

Edited by Sean Hayward