Is this racism?

Last evening I spent some time with a aboriginal women and her husband, both in there lates 60s. They explained that they went to eat dinner at a small restaurant in a small town near Prince George BC. They entered the restaurant and there was a group of about 1/2 dozen rednecks sitting there having coffee in the heat of gossip. (Imagine that big tough men gossiping like little kids :unsure: ) The couple sat down and within minutes, the little kid rednecks started yapping loud about indians, using the word indians to get their cheap rightwing thrill out of it. Will these little boy rightwingers ever grow up? Is this an isolated incident or does it happen alot? I can see these A-holes perhaps doing that to people a little younger but to an elderly couple minding thier own business...Is Canada that bad? Idiots giving natives crap over laws and policies written by non-natives? I think the cops should investigate the sons of all these rednecks who are full of hatred as they are probably all the ones behind the "Highway of Tears."

What's a redneck?

-----------------

Do I know what a rhetorical question is?

---Homer Simpson

The term varies but some know them as people who hate natives. I forgot to mention that these so called men in the restaurant were in there 50s and 60s. I asked the elderly couple how they had felt, and they said it pi$$ed them off and ruined an evening out, however, they mentioned that one of the guys in the group just got up and walked out once the other little boy rightwingers started their childish rant

The term varies but some know them as people who hate natives. I forgot to mention that these so called men in the restaurant were in there 50s and 60s. I asked the elderly couple how they had felt, and they said it pi$$ed them off and ruined an evening out, however, they mentioned that one of the guys in the group just got up and walked out once the other little boy rightwingers started their childish rant

Seems you have a few issues of your own. Perhaps it's time to review American History X as to why hate is such a damaging thing.

----------------------------------------------

Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.

--- Coretta Scott King

Seems you have a few issues of your own. Perhaps it's time to review American History X as to why hate is such a damaging thing.

----------------------------------------------

Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.

--- Coretta Scott King

You probably pull those kinds of stunts in restaurants...grow up lil boy redneck rightwinger

You probably pull those kinds of stunts in restaurants...grow up lil boy redneck rightwinger

Sort of proves my point...n'est pas?

---------------------------------

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.

---Martin Luther King Jr

It does indeed. DM comes across as a racist left wing loon. I wonder if he realizes that his kind is rejected by a massive majority in this nation. Then again perhaps he is one of those we are not citizens of Canada types. They claim all the protections of our laws and demand all the benefits of citizenship, yet refuse to contribute to the society that they demand so much of.

It does indeed. DM comes across as a racist left wing loon. I wonder if he realizes that his kind is rejected by a massive majority in this nation. Then again perhaps he is one of those we are not citizens of Canada types. They claim all the protections of our laws and demand all the benefits of citizenship, yet refuse to contribute to the society that they demand so much of.

None of the above! :P I don't buy this left wing /rightwing crap. Im just a straightforward person who tells it like it is..you all can't respond to this because you know that there arses in our society like that--big tough men who have to target elders and girls....

Are you suggesting that "massive majority" in like the CPC's control of parliament? Or as in popular vote? Or perhaps you mean as in popular public opinion, which is non-existent. People do reject racism in any form BUT the majority of people in Canada are left of centre politically. Your right wing minority opinion really doesn't have the substance to depend on anything more but rhetoric and myth.

None of the above! :P I don't buy this left wing /rightwing crap. Im just a straightforward person who tells it like it is..you all can't respond to this because you know that there arses in our society like that--big tough men who have to target elders and girls....

The reality is that despite an air of tolerance and multiculturalism, Canadians still have an underlying prejudice. This becomes evident not only during protests and when legal issues concerning people of colour in the news but also when the white Anglo Saxon male wants a scapegoat to bitch about. You needn't worry about racists that try to provoke native people in public because a little bit of truth and information quickly shows them for the assholes they truly are. No, you really need to worry about the closet bigots (like some who come out of the closet here from time to time) because they are the ones that are apt to influence public policy or silently undercut someone because of their skin colour, their gender or their religion in an employment situation. When people like that show up they need to be confronted immediately because ignorance cannot defend against truth.

DangerMouse: None of the above!

Well you did call me a "lil boy redneck rightwinger" when I suggested that you also harbor similar views. That certainly proved my point.

Duffman: Duffman wants to party down with the man who sent in 10,000 Duff labels to bring me here today. I've got a bottomless mug of new Duff Extra Cold for, Barney Gumbel!

All: Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!

Barney: I can't, I'm the designated driver!

---The Simpsons

Well you did call me a "lil boy redneck rightwinger" when I suggested that you also harbor similar views. That certainly proved my point.

Duffman: Duffman wants to party down with the man who sent in 10,000 Duff labels to bring me here today. I've got a bottomless mug of new Duff Extra Cold for, Barney Gumbel!

All: Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!

Barney: I can't, I'm the designated driver!

---The Simpsons

No, my point is there are old men out there--50s and 60s--who are worse than kids who are of the rightwing element...their lil kid antics transmit to their boyz (sons), and the cycle of intolerance and dysfunction starts all over again ;)

Last evening I spent some time with a aboriginal women and her husband, both in there lates 60s. They explained that they went to eat dinner at a small restaurant in a small town near Prince George BC. They entered the restaurant and there was a group of about 1/2 dozen rednecks sitting there having coffee in the heat of gossip. (Imagine that big tough men gossiping like little kids :unsure: ) The couple sat down and within minutes, the little kid rednecks started yapping loud about indians, using the word indians to get their cheap rightwing thrill out of it. Will these little boy rightwingers ever grow up? Is this an isolated incident or does it happen alot? I can see these A-holes perhaps doing that to people a little younger but to an elderly couple minding thier own business...Is Canada that bad? Idiots giving natives crap over laws and policies written by non-natives? I think the cops should investigate the sons of all these rednecks who are full of hatred as they are probably all the ones behind the "Highway of Tears."

Depending on the location, I have seen it go the other way as well.

Call it what you will, but it is a two way street. Always has been and always will be

Neither side is clean - it happens and it will not change in my life time.

Borg

Wouldn't it be important to know what they actually said before we determine that it was racist or not?

Or is the mere term of 'Indian' enough to put one off of supper?

Was it an Indian restaurant that they were eating in?

Perhaps they were talking about food and all this hullaboo is for naught?

:)

Perhaps they were talking about food and all this hullaboo is for naught?

Or perhaps its just a thinly veiled attempt to illustrate how evil and bad all white people are. It would be like me mentioning how I saw a group of Natives in an alley downtown shotgunning Lysol then proposing that because I saw this group doing that all Natives do it. Obviously that isn't true, along the same lines as this behaviour not being true of all white people, or even very many of them for that matter..

Its just a rather feeble attempt to demonize, it holds no water, especially given the fact that it cant be proven in any way, one way or the other.

Or perhaps its just a thinly veiled attempt to illustrate how evil and bad all white people are. It would be like me mentioning how I saw a group of Natives in an alley downtown shotgunning Lysol then proposing that because I saw this group doing that all Natives do it. Obviously that isn't true, along the same lines as this behaviour not being true of all white people, or even very many of them for that matter..

Its just a rather feeble attempt to demonize, it holds no water, especially given the fact that it cant be proven in any way, one way or the other.

No to demonizing, no to an Indian Restaurant...just a bunch of cranky old racist A$&holes being jerks to an aboriginal elderly couple....they seem to get some sort of cheap thrill out of pulling stunts like that when they have "lots of backup." ANy other time, especially if they're on their own, they act innocent and will even smile and say hi....I think Ive used the term ,shallow, narrow minded (lil kids) right wing phonies before

AT: Or perhaps its just a thinly veiled attempt to illustrate how evil and bad all white people are. It would be like me mentioning how I saw a group of Natives in an alley downtown shotgunning Lysol then proposing that because I saw this group doing that all Natives do it. Obviously that isn't true, along the same lines as this behaviour not being true of all white people, or even very many of them for that matter..

100% agreement. Chances are this event is entirely fabricated for 'forum purposes'. Not to mention the quick use of the rather stereotypical, derogatory term 'redneck'...and no...I don't mean it as refering to the Presbyterian Covenanters in Scotland during past centuries. No more than 'cracker' is a the tasty snack.

------------------------------------------------

Anybody who deliberately propagandizes with lies should be held up to scorn and ridicule.

---Al Franken

100% agreement. Chances are this event is entirely fabricated for 'forum purposes'. Not to mention the quick use of the rather stereotypical, derogatory term 'redneck'...and no...I don't mean it as refering to the Presbyterian Covenanters in Scotland during past centuries. No more than 'cracker' is a the tasty snack.

------------------------------------------------

Anybody who deliberately propagandizes with lies should be held up to scorn and ridicule.

---Al Franken

Why would I fabricate it as it was my aunt who told me about this? It happened last week. Do you honestly think these people would make this event up? Ever watch the show "Conspiracy of Silence?" This was about the young native girl killed in the 1970 in Manitoba. It is interesting what some of the non-native locals in that community were saying when the truth started to surface. So you say that , "anybody who deliberately propagandizes with lies should be held up to scorn and ridicule!" Does this mean that the whole Conservative Party should be scorned and ridiculed? After all, they're type are all just living one great big lie. You are saying that this doesn't happen? Why are you trying to justify or deny that this happens? Probably because you've pulled the saem stunt before...so go back to your "big tough man gossiping" in the restaurant ;)

Or is the mere term of 'Indian' enough to put one off of supper?

Speaking of which...I had lunch with a native buddy of mine today who recited;

"In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue...He was looking for India...I'm just glad he wasn't looking for Turkey."

Why would I fabricate it as it was my aunt who told me about this?

Ummmm...for the reasons already given.

---------------------------------------

please don't kill me now

in a house of guilty hate

we go around in circles

retaliate

---Ministry: You Know What You Are

Or perhaps you are too sensitive, drawing an accusation of generalization from a specific case. But if YOU want to paint all white people from one incident as indicative then perhaps it is your own guilt you need to deal with.