Happy Anniversary Iraq!

From WorldNetDaily (12/2005)

California homicides dwarf Iraq deaths

Recently released crime statistics show the homicide rate in California is 265 percent higher than the death rate suffered by U.S. and British military personnel in Iraq.

According to the report "Crime in California 2004," compiled by California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, there were 2,394 reported homicides in the Golden State last year. That compares with 905 deaths of coalition forces in Iraq, chiefly Americans and Brits, during the same time period.

A monthly average of 75 deaths of American and British forces has remained fairly constant over the last two years.

The peak for homicides in California was in 1993, when there were 4,095 reported.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

You do realize the "Iraq deaths" in your latest source only refer to" the death rate suffered by U.S. and British/coalition military personnel in Iraq," right? -- which is not the same as "the death rate in Iraq" at all, which is what you've been referring to previously.

Furthermore, this is a totally incorrect statement:

"...the homicide rate in California is 265 percent higher than the death rate suffered by U.S. and British military personnel in Iraq."

The homicide rate is not 265 percent higher than the death rate of American and British military personnal. They used numbers alone to come to that incorrect conclusion.

According to the report "Crime in California 2004," compiled by California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, there were 2,394 reported homicides in the Golden State last year. That compares with 905 deaths of coalition forces in Iraq, chiefly Americans and Brits, during the same time period.

The population of California is 37,700,000 compared to 185,600 American and coaltion troops. That means the population of California is 203 times higher. So let's take those 905 coalition deaths and multiply them by 203, which gives us 183,715.

So the correct "rate" would be 183,715 compared to 2,394.

A monthly average of 75 deaths of American and British forces has remained fairly constant over the last two years.

The peak for homicides in California was in 1993, when there were 4,095 reported.

Going back to 1993, comparing an "average" to a "peak," it's still way off:

The 160,000 American troops plus 8,500 British troops equals 168,500 combined troops. So number-wise we're talking 168,500 compared to 37,700,000; or 223 times greater. So to get the comparable rate, which is the only relevant comparison, we have to multiply the "75 deaths of American and British forces" by 223.

That leaves us with 16,725 compared to 4,095.

So once again, the 'comparison' is way off base; even when it's an "average" being compared to a "peak."

You are persistant, though. I'll give you that. Wrong, but persistant.

From WorldNetDaily (12/2005)

California homicides dwarf Iraq deaths

Your arguments are stronger when you take your typical "who cares if people die" stance. These bizarre, manipulative apples-to-broccoli comparisons make you appear either intellectually dishonest or lacking.

Your arguments are stronger when you take your typical "who cares if people die" stance. These bizarre, manipulative apples-to-broccoli comparisons make you appear either intellectually dishonest or lacking.

Hey, it's Iraq's anniversarry, not yours. Usually we can hear the moaning about truth from your ilk, but not this kind of truth it would seem!

Oh yea...I'm lacking....lacking your narrow perspective and proclamation that the "U.S. Had It Coming". Let's roll with that broccoli thought...how about "Iraq Had It Coming"...but homicide is always wrong.

I think this "truth" phobia is a trend...another member also insisted I was "intellectually dishonest or lacking" when it came to Canadian manufactured napalm for Vietnam.

.....So once again, the 'comparison' is way off base; even when it's an "average" being compared to a "peak."

You are persistant, though. I'll give you that. Wrong, but persistant.

Omigod....we have dead people all over the place and this one wants to argue statistics. No matter how you squirm, my point has been made....in our "free" and "democratic" America, there is an alarming homicide rate....and that's without an "insurgency". Now that you've taken the bait, it is a simple matter to point to the same kind of comparisons made by others about prisoner incarceration.

So, hey, Iraq is looking better and better in that context. Happy Anniversary!

Guest American Woman
Omigod....we have dead people all over the place and this one wants to argue statistics.

You're the one who brought up statistics and I have no desire to "argue" them since one can't argue with facts, which is what I presented. My only intent was to prove your context of the statistics wrong, to prove your source wrong, to prove what you claimed wrong; which I did. It's always a pleasure to set the record straight. :)

Edited by American Woman

You're the one who brought up statistics and I have no desire to "argue" them since one can't argue with facts, which is what I presented. My only intent was to prove your context of the statistics wrong, to prove your source wrong, to prove what you claimed wrong; which I did. It's always a pleasure to set the record straight. :)

But you have done none of these things.....it is a fact that there are more homicides in the USA than in Iraq, based on the "sources". It's OK...you also insisted that there was no napalm manufactured in Canada! :lol:

Guest American Woman
But you have done none of these things.....it is a fact that there are more homicides in the USA than in Iraq, based on the "sources". It's OK...you also insisted that there was no napalm manufactured in Canada! :lol:

Here's a tip. You can keep repeating yourself from now until eternity, but that won't erase the facts that I've posted. Furthermore, you're only digging yourself in deeper as you are wrong yet again with your most recent claim:

I have to say it sounds as if Canada was supplying us with ammunition and supplies, including napalm, in spite of government denials.

link

:rolleyes:

Here's a tip. You can keep repeating yourself from now until eternity, but that won't erase the facts that I've posted.

I don't think you would recognize a fact even if it bit you.....not even when somebody else has to priovide the "sources", as if that changes the reality anyway.

Furthermore, you're only digging yourself in deeper as you are wrong yet again with your most recent claim

Then why did you post this prior to an admission:

"Your claim is false. It was not made in Canada as you claimed. "

You made a mistake....again. That's OK.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I don't think you would recognize a fact even if it bit you.....not even when somebody else has to priovide the "sources", as if that changes the reality anyway.

The fact is the U.S. has just a little bit higher a population within its own borders than within Iraq, so a comparison in numbers of fatalities is silly.

But the fact that the U.S. has such a high murder rate is ample proof of how the NRA has brought the nation down.

The fact is the U.S. has just a little bit higher a population within its own borders than within Iraq, so a comparison in numbers of fatalities is silly.

But the fact that the U.S. has such a high murder rate is ample proof of how the NRA has brought the nation down.

Purrrrrrrrfect....a squishy thinker who wants it both ways. "Comparisons are meaningless"...unless you wish to make the comparisons. If you think the NRA has "brought the nation down", then it is obviously doing great work for its membership and 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

Purrrrrrrrfect....a squishy thinker who wants it both ways. "Comparisons are meaningless"...unless you wish to make the comparisons.

Comparisons are meaningful when you're using comparable subjects. If the per-capita murder rate in California were anywhere close to the per-capita murder rate in Iraq, you would have a point. Your comparison is like saying Winnipeg's 2007 murder rate in comparison to New York City is not too bad, since NYC had just under 500 and Winnipeg had less than 40. Do I need to explain why such a comparison, however, is ridiculous?

Yeah, I probably do. :lol:

Guest American Woman
Comparisons are meaningful when you're using comparable subjects. If the per-capita murder rate in California were anywhere close to the per-capita murder rate in Iraq, you would have a point. Your comparison is like saying Winnipeg's 2007 murder rate in comparison to New York City is not too bad, since NYC had just under 500 and Winnipeg had less than 40. Do I need to explain why such a comparison, however, is ridiculous?

Yeah, I probably do. :lol:

It's already been explained in detail. He gets it. It's just a game to him:

Now that you've taken the bait, it is a simple matter to point to the same kind of comparisons made by others about prisoner incarceration.

Comparisons are meaningful when you're using comparable subjects.

It was never a comparison...just a statement of fact. You and AW bit hard on the lure and ran with it as always...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Comparisons and contrasts can be made between many things, and are not constricted by your squishy politics.

In any event, I think I can sweeten the pot as we celebrate Iraq's 5th Anniversary. Looks like homicide rates are pretty bodacious in a lot of places.....they are even selling life insurance in Iraq just like we do!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...cide_rate#2000s

Ah, I thought you were trying to make a legitimate argument and not just trolling. Should have known better, you're right.

Is your ignore option also broken? No argument...just fact.

This an internet forum, not the United Nations Security Council (not that it makes any difference). From another thread, some people take themselves way too seriously while the frickin' planet keeps spinning the way it always has.

Is your ignore option also broken? No argument...just fact.

This an internet forum, not the United Nations Security Council (not that it makes any difference). From another thread, some people take themselves way too seriously while the frickin' planet keeps spinning the way it always has.

If you represent the mentality comming out of the US in regards to the Iraq war, then these are the reasons you are not doing too well in Iraq. These are the reasons you will never get anyone else on board in the future. These are the reasons that the US will turn isolationist in the future. Your rhetoric gets tiring and dangerous, like Bill'O. Your rhetoric like Bill'O takes advantage of the ignorant in order to provide 'fair and balanced' information.

No, I won't be one to put you on the ignore list, because you are a problem that will not go away untill it is addressed and people are aware of the stance you take.

If there are more homicides and murders in the US then you should really clean up your own house before you try to tell someone else how to run their house.

But I am just a lowly Canadian. who cares. America .. f*ck yeah.

BUT HE DID IT TOO!!! Yeah great excuse. I recall my mother always saying. Wrong is wrong.

But, the war is about oil, not freedom of the Iraqi people, so we can just pitch that out the door now. The war is about making money for certain corporations in the USA. OH if Canada is making money off it as well, then we as Canadians do have a say in this process.

Actualy Bush-Cheney, no one in the White House cares about you either. Eventhough you support them, they really could not care about you at all. How does that make you feel? How can you support their views and policies when they do not even care about you?

If you represent the mentality comming out of the US in regards to the Iraq war, then these are the reasons you are not doing too well in Iraq. These are the reasons you will never get anyone else on board in the future. These are the reasons that the US will turn isolationist in the future. Your rhetoric gets tiring and dangerous, like Bill'O. Your rhetoric like Bill'O takes advantage of the ignorant in order to provide 'fair and balanced' information.

Clue for you....my "rhetoric" represents me, not necessarily 300,000,000 other Americans. We get to choose....and for now we choose Iraq. If you don't like that...tough.

No, I won't be one to put you on the ignore list, because you are a problem that will not go away untill it is addressed and people are aware of the stance you take.

I know...like a moth to a flame. Great for ratings too!

If there are more homicides and murders in the US then you should really clean up your own house before you try to tell someone else how to run their house.

But I am just a lowly Canadian. who cares. America .. f*ck yeah.

Why? That would be damn un-American!

BUT HE DID IT TOO!!! Yeah great excuse. I recall my mother always saying. Wrong is wrong.

No excuses....it's the reasons that are far more important. However, I love it when do-gooders gush forth with such nonsense while living exactly as I do.

But, the war is about oil, not freedom of the Iraqi people, so we can just pitch that out the door now. The war is about making money for certain corporations in the USA. OH if Canada is making money off it as well, then we as Canadians do have a say in this process.

Great...you just had your say...next!

Actualy Bush-Cheney, no one in the White House cares about you either. Eventhough you support them, they really could not care about you at all. How does that make you feel? How can you support their views and policies when they do not even care about you?

I wouldn't have it any other way (I like oil!). Ask not what your country can do for you....yada, yada, yada (JFK). People who think otherwise will surely be disappointed.

I represent things as they are, not what you want things to be. Good luck with that.

Guest American Woman
Clue for you....my "rhetoric" represents me, not necessarily 300,000,000 other Americans. We get to choose....and for now we choose Iraq. If you don't like that...tough.

What's this "we choose," right after you say your rhetoric represents you, not necessarily the rest of America? We don't choose Iraq; you, and the minority of Americans, do.

CHENEY: On the security front, I think there’s a general consensus that we’ve made major progress, that the surge has worked. That’s been a major success.

RADDATZ: Two-third of Americans say it’s not worth fighting.

CHENEY: So?

RADDATZ So? You don’t care what the American people think?

CHENEY: No. I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls.

link

Edited by American Woman

What's this "we choose," right after you say your rhetoric represents you, not necessarily the rest of America? We don't choose Iraq; you, and the minority of Americans, do.

The United States of America has developed and executed a foreign policy for Iraq going back to at least 1991, culminating in the invasion and overthrow of Saddam Hussein.

Pretending otherwise is foolish.

Guest American Woman
The United States of America has developed and executed a foreign policy for Iraq going back to at least 1991, culminating in the invasion and overthrow of Saddam Hussein.

Pretending otherwise is foolish.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better, but you'll never convince those of us who know better.