Baby held in locked room at airport dies

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbc...340/1190/NEWS01

A 14-day-old infant traveling here for heart surgery died at Honolulu International Airport on Friday after he, his mother and a nurse were detained by immigration officials in a locked room, a lawyer for the boy's family said.

The Honolulu medical examiner's office yesterday identified the infant as Michael Futi of Tafuna, American Samoa's largest village, which is located on the east coast of Tutuila Island. Autopsy findings have been deferred.

According to police, the child died at 5:50 a.m. It is unknown why immigration officials detained the mother, the nurse and the child.

Scott Ishikawa, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, said the child went into respiratory failure while in the customs office, which is located near the baggage claims area of the overseas terminal. Airport paramedics were called about 6:10 a.m., he said.

The group arrived on a Hawaiian Airlines flight that landed at 5:30 a.m.

"We were later told the baby was coming here for heart surgery," Ishikawa said.

my comments:

I do not believe the line

""We were later told the baby was coming here for heart surgery," that's as much of a crock of BS as I can imagine. There is no way in hell the mom and nurse would tell anyone LATER, that the 14 day old infant was in need of heatsurgery.

If that was my child I would sure as hell figure out a way to make the situation very clear to the people in charge.

Secondly the infant died at 5:50 a.m. and yet paramedics were not called till 6:10 a.m. , a twenty minute time difference. Why?

Now the baby may have or may not have died had this not happened, but,nonetheless, the baby died while locked in a room at the airport and paramedics were not called for a full 20 minutes after the baby died.

what a heartbreaking story.

Is this terrorism " screening" run amok?

Edited by kuzadd

Guest American Woman

The account I read said the paramedics arrived at 6:10, not that they were called at 6:10. I'll have to hear more about what happened before I can comment, but if the infant was dead 20 minutes after the plane landed, the mother and baby sure couldn't have been detained in customs for very long; it takes a while to even get off the plane and get to customs. So it sounds as if the details might be somewhat murky. I have to wonder, too, why there wasn't an ambulance at the airport to meet an infant that was arriving for heart surgery.

.Now the baby may have or may not have died had this not happened, but,nonetheless, the baby died while locked in a room at the airport and paramedics were not called for a full 20 minutes after the baby died.

what a heartbreaking story.

No, it is normal screening that happens to involve a dead baby. People die all the time, under a multitude of circumstances. Hell, Canada tazes perfectly healthy people to death at the airport!

Mom could have aborted this baby and you would have thought nothing of it. But this dead baby offers the opportunity for political mileage.

Guest American Woman

Reading still more about it, the baby didn't die at the airport. He arrived at the hospital in critical condition, and died at the hospital. It was decided that the baby didn't need an air ambulance, so they flew commercial: and it was also decided that he could ride to the airport in a private car rather than an ambulance, so that's why there was no ambulance waiting. Had their been an ambulance waiting, maybe things would have turned out differently. But if he didn't require an ambulance, and could withstand a five hour commercial flight, one has to wonder why the 20 minute wait in customs is being perceived as the critical issue.

I'm not excusing customs, but I have to wonder if customs' actions were as horrible as they are being made out to be. It's a real tragedy, but that doesn't mean it's custom's 'fault.'

Edited by American Woman

Could well be...but, the French apparently announced today that by 2012 they'll be taking retinal scans, fingerprints et al from ALL arrivals outside Europe...that's tourists, too (source: CBC Radio). The rest of Europe is expected to do likewise. It simply will get worse until this current...errr...World War(?) is over for good. Well, it is global...and the 'when' in 'when it's over' is anyone's guess.

Gone are the good old days, kuzadd. Know what? No amount of protesting or complaining can stop this ball once it is in motion. Even if the 'War on Terror' simply was over, other crap is already in the wings poised to attack our lifestyles and culture. Super-bugs...Super-storms...Super gangs...

Look up Mara Salvatrucha/MS-13 if you want to see our collective future headaches. They're already in Canada...probably not far from either of us. Just to add to the fun they're just the 'worst' of many heading our way. Sleep well.

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie don't surf!

---Lt Colonel Bill Kilgore: Apocalypse Now!

Mara Salvatrucha/MS-13

I've heard about these guys. Apparently North America and the gangs that already exist here are easy pickings for these guys. Knowgangs is a good site to learn more about all types of gangs. I have it bookmarked and check it out once in a while, it has reams of information on just about all known gangs in North America. Very interesting but it takes a while to go through all of it..

I've heard about these guys. Apparently North America and the gangs that already exist here are easy pickings for these guys. Knowgangs is a good site to learn more about all types of gangs. I have it bookmarked and check it out once in a while, it has reams of information on just about all known gangs in North America. Very interesting but it takes a while to go through all of it..

Yes...they use very bloody public violence/murders/rapes to instill fear in the community. Canadian police will be hard pressed to even make a dent while our judicial system will make them laugh. Deportations ironically make them stronger. Stormy weather ahead...

-------------------------------------------

You call that a knife? This is a knife.

---Crocodile Dundee

Could well be...but, the French apparently announced today that by 2012 they'll be taking retinal scans, fingerprints et al from ALL arrivals outside Europe...that's tourists, too (source: CBC Radio). The rest of Europe is expected to do likewise. It simply will get worse until this current...errr...World War(?) is over for good. Well, it is global...and the 'when' in 'when it's over' is anyone's guess.

. Sleep well.

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie don't surf!

---Lt Colonel Bill Kilgore: Apocalypse Now!

Gone are the good old days, kuzadd. Know what? No amount of protesting or complaining can stop this ball once it is in motion. Even if the 'War on Terror' simply was over, other crap is already in the wings poised to attack our lifestyles and culture. Super-bugs...Super-storms...Super gangs...

and the only thing that can save us is 'big brother'? Big gov and big business combined, oh goody :(

and the only thing that can save us is 'big brother'? Big gov and big business combined, oh goody

Well...the government made me give-up my assault rifles a while back...so I'm left with little to defend myself except laws. MS-13 doesn't care about laws. Oh, goody.

:lol:

But I can't help but feel for the mother of that child...

------------------------------------

Then the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star from heaven which had fallen to the earth; and the key of the bottomless pit was given to him.

---Revalations