Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

US President Barack Obama describes the situation of Russian President Dmitri Medvedev and Russian PM Vladimir Putin:AP

"My understanding is, is that President Medvedev is the president, Prime Minister Putin is the prime minister, and they allocate power in accordance with Russia's form of government in the same way that we allocate power in the United States," Obama said.

Shows what a buffoon he is.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Mayor Miller says "enough is enough", Premier McGuinty had this to say.

"My garbage hasn't been picked up for a little while now. The garage is starting to stink a little bit, but it's not the end of the world. And I think most folks have found a way to manage and they understand that it's important that we allow the process to unfold and that we remain patient, courteous, as much as we can."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/200...nto-strike.html

"So, chief, what did you call this place before the European explorers arrived?" the reporter asked.

"Ours," he replied.

-- Anonymous

no they didn't, they didn't think in concept of land as private property.

how predictable of you though charter... you really DO think that Europeans should be kicked out of canada...

Paris-Michael Katherine Jackson, 11, at the funeral to her father, Michael Jackson:

"I just wanted to say ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine," Paris-Michael Katherine Jackson whispered into the hastily adjusted microphone, her father's flower-draped gilded coffin at her feet.

"And I just wanted to say I love him so much."

Toronto Star

• 2 weeks later...

Neil Armstrong, 78, first man to walk on the moon:

"Our home planet has been seen from afar, and that perspective has caused us to think about its and our significance. Children inspired by the excitement of space flight have come to appreciate the wonder of science, the beauty of mathematics and the precision of engineering."

He concluded, "Apollo was a good thing to do."

CNN

Stephen Tanner, Kingston Chief of Police:

"In our Canadian society we value the cultural values of everyone that makes up this great country and some of us have different core beliefs, different family values, different sets of rules, and certainly, these individuals, in particular the three teenagers, were Canadian teenagers who have all the freedom and rights of expression of all Canadians," Tanner said.

"So whether that was a part of a motive within the family based on one ... or more of the girls' behaviour is open to a little bit of speculation."

"All shared the rights within our great country to live without fear, to enjoy safety and security and to exercise freedom of choice and expression and yet had their lives cut short by members of their own family."

CP

“The only good thing I can say about bad weather and lots of rain is it allows me to sit at home and think thoughts here,” he said. “We're getting policy together. We've got an ambitious policy agenda for Canadians to present in the fall.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1235216/

One wonders, if Ottawa hadn't seen it's rainiest July on record, when would Ignatieff have had time to think thoughts on policy.

• 2 weeks later...

Sarah Palin, 45, ex-Governor of Alaska:

"The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil."
ABC News

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Feldstein, 70, economics professor at Harvard University:

"In the British national health service, a government agency approves only those expensive treatments that add at least one Quality Adjusted Life Year (QALY) per £30,000 (about $49,685) of additional health-care spending. If a treatment costs more per QALY, the health service will not pay for it. The existence of such a program in the United States would not only deny lifesaving care but would also cast a pall over medical researchers who would fear that government experts might reject their discoveries as 'too expensive.'"
WSJ

Daniel Veniez, 47, ex-Chairman of Ridley Terminals, a Crown corporation in Prince Rupert:

“The Conservative party and its leader are permanently angry,” he goes on. “That’s an ingrained part of who they are and what they represent. On a visceral level, they remain a protest party and have turned themselves into a protest government. They manage by negatives and are genetically incapable of inspiring hope or thinking big. They attack, assassinate character, tell lies, lower the bar on public discourse, and engage in tactical and divisive wedge politics and governance. The tone, strategy, and culture for this government are established by Harper, a cheap-shot artist and cynic of the highest order.”
Macleans

Rt. Hon. Brian Mulroney on Stephen Harper:

"He severed relations with me, which, when you've been prime minister, doesn't really mean very much to you. There's nothing that I worry about [that] Mr. Harper can or cannot do," Mulroney said. "That's his decision."

... on electing a Conservative government in Canada:

"Because you can’t elect anybody based on that hard-core thing," Mulroney said. "Mr. Harper was smart enough to realize that and to figure out how you get elected in this country.

"I was conservative — right of centre — on some important issues, which he is, and slightly left of centre, or centrist, on some important social issues," Mulroney added.

CBC

Liberals in some circles are currently trying to paint Harper as a "liar". Sometimes the accusation is bald faced, sometimes it is veiled. But on one count, the Prime Minister is being very honest when he stated:

“Until senators are elected, this government will ensure that we have in the Senate people who will work hard and will support the elected government of this country.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/200...642016-sun.html

An honest statement, from the horse's mouth.

Baitullah Mehsud, about 35, leader of the Pakistan Taliban:
“Soon we will launch an attack in Washington that will amaze everyone in the world ... The maximum they can do is martyr me. But we will exact our revenge on them from inside America.”
The Times

Hakimullah Mehsud, about 28, Taliban representative:

"Baitullah Mehsud was injured in a drone attack and died on Sunday afternoon," Hakimullah Mehsud, a top aide to Baitullah Mehsud, told AFP by telephone from an undisclosed location.
AFP Edited by August1991

Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada:

“The important thing, for me, is to preserve family ties. I can win elections, but if I lose my family, it's a disaster.”

“To be honest with you, I am a lot more concerned by God's verdict regarding my life than the one of historians,” the Prime Minister said with a laugh, according to the article.

G&M

Who says I'm some kind of Obama fan? Last I checked, I don't live in the United States, so I don't care how Obama views God. I prefer my leaders in this country to remain as secular as possible in the way that they govern, and statements like the above give me pause.

Harper has made a million steps in the wrong direction in the last few weeks as far as I'm concerned.

statements like the above give me pause.
Why? How is being motivated by a concern for the afterlife some how worse than being motivated by a concern for history? Both motivations are based on a need to seek the approval of abstract concepts. Both motivations can propel people to do great good and great evil. The difference is not the rational for the motivation but the person.

I prefer my leaders in this country to remain as secular as possible in the way that they govern, and statements like the above give me pause.

Yes, a politician who exposes his religion in our politically correct country can be damaged. Personally, I admire Harper for not pussyfooting around the issue and laying it out there for all to see and judge. What you see is what you get and those who don't like it won't vote for him. Contrast this with Paul Martin who couldn't bring himself to call a wreath he purchased as a Christmas wreath.

"Prime Minister Paul Martin had a photo op at a chic Ottawa flower shop at noon today to buy a wreath "for the farm." Someone asked him if it was a Christmas wreath or a holiday wreath, to which Martin retorted: "It's a $240 wreath, that's what it is."

http://thestar.blogs.com/notebook/2005/12/...gst_of_cou.html

His response was intended to camouflage and not let out the fact that he is Christian lest he antagonize voters from other faiths. Must admit, he was thinking fast on his feet at the time with minimal dithering.