Chretien on The Hour

noahbody

Charisma can be a characteristic in people you don't like as well. Mulroney had a lot of charisma. There's no doubt about that.

Never thought of it that way. I guess the chin did have some , but only when Mila....oh my...was around.About ten years ago Mila was standing beside me at the airport......that woman was certainly fine to look at, and she was many years older than I.

Harper has become better at making the prepared speech. That's one better than Dion. Layton's problem is that he can't keep from talking. Duceppe's problem is that he only has one issue.

All true.

But then again, improvement was his only option. Dion has even less than that.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then again, improvement was his only option. Dion has even less than that.

Hard to believe that with all Dion's difficulties that the Tories are 2 points under the Liberals in the Decima poll. They had better hope that Canadians don't take a shine to him or they will be sitting in the Opposition benches.

Just watching the interview again in the first link. You can see how Chretien's charisma comes through in an interview. Sad to say about the present leadership of the parties in Canada is that he probably could outwit them all and win again if he was so inclined. He would take apart the humourless Harper. Without a script, he would be left at sea in both languages against Chretien in debate.

Do you really think it fair to judge Chretien's popularity as so high, when he governed during a time of a total split in the main opposition?

I mean, talk about a free ride...

We'll never know I guess how well he would have done in a more normal situation.

Do you really think it fair to judge Chretien's popularity as so high, when he governed during a time of a total split in the main opposition?

We'll never know I guess how well he would have done in a more normal situation.

Heck, he's popular now. I wouldn't doubt he'd be more popular than the various political leaders we have now.

Spin it anyway you want, the guy won 3 back to back majorities. Do you think Harper can get even one?

Edited by jazzer

Spin it anyway you want, the guy won 3 back to back majorities. Do you think Harper can get even one?

Harper can hardly blame a split right wing for the fact that Dion, as weak as he is, still leads a party that is 2 points ahead of the Tories. Imagine someone as disagreeable as Chretien. Can you say: Fourth majority?

Nobody thought Harper would get a victory of any kind. He has.

Yes, Harper has a very good chance at a majority next time around. A far better chance than anyone else.

I think Harper may have underestimated the Canadian voter. By carrying on like a bully with the press, hell even his own party. I think he may have been better of calling an election back in Oct. I've said it before and I will say it again, once the public starts to hear the Liberal platform it may just be a Liberal gov't that is sitting next.

I think Harper may have underestimated the Canadian voter. By carrying on like a bully with the press, hell even his own party. I think he may have been better of calling an election back in Oct. I've said it before and I will say it again, once the public starts to hear the Liberal platform it may just be a Liberal gov't that is sitting next.

Harper usually likes to keep tight control over his caucus but often he is the one for shooting from the lip. His bluster over Chalk River and Liberal appointees was particularly harsh in terms of bullying.

I think Harper may have underestimated the Canadian voter. By carrying on like a bully with the press, hell even his own party. I think he may have been better of calling an election back in Oct.

There has been a truce with the press for a good year now. Harper showed some spine and the press recognized their place in the pecking order.

Harper has never intended, and will not, disregard the fixed election date law. Once the precedent has been set it will be very difficult for any future Government to disregard.

.... once the public starts to hear the Liberal platform it may just be a Liberal gov't that is sitting next.

You are an optimist. Dion is not a comunicater. Even if the Liberals came up with a platform that didn't put us into defict financing and even if it isn't correctly pointed out that a legion of past Liberal election promises were empty vapourware, Dion will most likely fumblemumble the message and the voters will scratch their heads....

There won't be a Liberal gov't till they ditch Dion and his left leaning agenda and return to the pragmatic fiscal policies of Martin.

Yeah well, thanks for the warning, so I can make sure I don't watch The Hour. Actually I never watch inferior Canadian programming anyway, but I especially will make sure not to watch the Cretin. He was apoor excuse for a Prime Minister, and if we really had a democratic system where the people actaully got to vote for the PM or Premier in an At-Large scenario, Chretien would never have become PM in the first place. With the parties picking who their leader will be is not democratic, because only the PEOPLE in the leader's home riding get to vote.

You are an optimist. Dion is not a comunicater. Even if the Liberals came up with a platform that didn't put us into defict financing and even if it isn't correctly pointed out that a legion of past Liberal election promises were empty vapourware, Dion will most likely fumblemumble the message and the voters will scratch their heads....

And scratching their heads they will say, "Hey, isn't this they guy who wants to raise the GST again?" The Tories are quietly gathering ammo from every screw up Dion makes. Come election time (if he makes it that long) he will have a rude awakening.

There has been a truce with the press for a good year now. Harper showed some spine and the press recognized their place in the pecking order.

Harper has never intended, and will not, disregard the fixed election date law. Once the precedent has been set it will be very difficult for any future Government to disregard.

Just a couple weeks ago the CPC Pac here was hollering for an election. Why the tune change?

And scratching their heads they will say, "Hey, isn't this they guy who wants to raise the GST again?" The Tories are quietly gathering ammo from every screw up Dion makes. Come election time (if he makes it that long) he will have a rude awakening.

And the Tories raised the the income tax after the last election.

Edited by jdobbin

Tearing a page straight outta Chretien's playbook.

You are correct. Every time Dion speaks (or tries to in English) he is moving the Conservatives that much closer to a majority. No wonder he wants an election ASAP.