Hearing Voices in Your Head?

buffycat

I find this quite disturbing. Seems that the technology exists to beam voices straight into a person's head. No, this is NOT a tinfoil hat conspiracy - it is quite real and for me raises some very important questions as to the right of privacy in one's own mind.

Recently an advertisement on a bill board in NYC employed this technology. Passersby 'heard' a voice inside their heads, some people were, to put in mildly, rather shocked. Here is the link to the article. (Note: I didn't feel like registering at Ad Age, so I have linked to another source where the article is printed in full).

Excerpt:

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- New Yorker Alison Wilson was walking down Prince Street in SoHo last week when she heard a woman's voice right in her ear asking, "Who's there? Who's there?" She looked around to find no one in her immediate surroundings. Then the voice said, "It's not your imagination."

Indeed it isn't. It's an ad for "Paranormal State," a ghost-themed series premiering on A&E this week. The billboard uses technology manufactured by Holosonic that transmits an "audio spotlight" from a rooftop speaker so that the sound is contained within your cranium. The technology, ideal for museums and libraries or environments that require a quiet atmosphere for isolated audio slideshows, has rarely been used on such a scale before. For random passersby and residents who have to walk unwittingly through the area where the voice will penetrate their inner peace, it's another story.

Now, it seems that the US military is also using this technology (LRAD), but of course with a little twist: They are putting the word of 'God' into people's heads:

Death Ray Replaced By The Voice of God

It appears that some of the troops in Iraq are using "spoken" (as opposed to "screeching") LRAD to mess with enemy fighters. Islamic terrorists tend to be superstitious and, of course, very religious. LRAD can put the "word of God" into their heads. If God, in the form of a voice that only you can hear, tells you to surrender, or run away, what are you gonna do?

It seems to me that this technology violates the last place of privacy we have left: Our own minds.

Thoughts??

June Callwood used to write for the Globe & Mail. Link.

I recall a column that she wrote based on the idea of an "internal voice" or "internal conversation" inside our mind. Everyone has an internal voice, someone we speak to or who speaks to us and so we have an internal conversation. For some people, this conversation is pleasant and even fun. For others, this conversation is hectoring and admonishing.

Good mental health, Callwood noted, is a good internal conversation. When you speak to yourself (and we all do), if the voice you hear is pleasant, fun loving and filled with humour, then you live well. But if the voice chides, criticizes and reminds you of your faults, then your life is miserable.

To understand another's mental health or even to understand another person, one must imagine the internal conversation going on inside their head. We all talk to ourselves. When you see a person, what kind of conversation are they having?

Edited by August1991

If I heard an advertisement in my head and discovered it was coming from a billboard, I would go and purchase one large hammer. Then I would return to the billboard and give it a 'message'.

Sharkman, this must truly be the Christmas season - a time of miracles - because for ONCE I agree with you wholeheartedly.

(You also seem to be the only one who actually read and understood the OP and its links!!)

So, I'll take the big hammer and raise a sawzall!! ;)

June Callwood used to write for the Globe & Mail. Link.

I recall a column that she wrote based on the idea of an "internal voice" or "internal conversation" inside our mind. Everyone has an internal voice, someone we speak to or who speaks to us and so we have an internal conversation. For some people, this conversation is pleasant and even fun. For others, this conversation is hectoring and admonishing.

Good mental health, Callwood noted, is a good internal conversation. When you speak to yourself (and we all do), if the voice you hear is pleasant, fun loving and filled with humour, then you live well. But if the voice chides, criticizes and reminds you of your faults, then your life is miserable.

To understand another's mental health or even to understand another person, one must imagine the internal conversation going on inside their head. We all talk to ourselves. When you see a person, what kind of conversation are they having?

August, while I understand the above and what you are saying it has absolutely nothing to do with the technology mentioned in the OP's links.

We are not talking about 'the little voice' that everyone has inside their heads - this is a REAL technology which basically beams a voice into your brain. It is from outside and YOU have no defense against hearing it.

It has nothing to do with mental illness.

Please stay on topic.

This reminds me of people who reported hearing the radio through the fillings in their teeth.

Anything else intelligent to add??

This is NOT science fiction. The LRAD is being used - did you even bother to read the article? Or did you just have the need to make some stupid comment?

If you go back and read the posted pieces you will see that this is not tinfoil hat territory - it is real and begs many questions.

Of course, if you like the idea that anyone can beam a voice into your head - without your awareness or consent then you will do fine in this Brave New World. Just follow the orders and be a good unquestioning citizen!!

:(

Edited by buffycat

Guest American Woman

I think the ad sounds like a cool experience in a "Disney World technology" kind of way. I wouldn't find it quite so cool if it were ads for products in a grocery store or if it suddenly started popping up all over; especially if it interferred with the music on my iPod when I'm trying to block out the other sounds/noises around me. I'm guessing if it gets to be in too many places, someone will sue and win-- or someone will come up with the technology to block it out. I can't say it's something I'm shook up about. I think it's better than a loudspeaker blaring non-stop. At least this has a very small target area.

Edited by American Woman

Some one should point one at some world leaders,

and make some ''suggestions.''

Can you imagine what could be done,especially as

some leaders already believe that ''God''

speaks to them?

Seriously,another technology to be

used and abused,where will it end?

http://www.holosonics.com

I checked out the above web site after reading your reference Buff E. From what I can understabd its concentrated sound beamed to a specific spot no one outside the spot can hear and so its used in museums or at trade shows and now with billboard ads.

I suppose one could argue such technology would disturb members of the public if they do not understand what the technology is but I would imagine as it becomes more common place, less and less people will get spooked about it as they get used to it.

Well Buff E. yes you have a point. Imagine walking down the street innundated with message after message as you walk. If the technology was used by too many sounds in too compact an area it would create gibberish that would prove very problematic. Actually it would imitate exactly the phenomena many schitzophrenics experience (numerous conversations and sounds going off at the same time).

So Surely Buffy there will have to be some sort of municipal laws regulating the density of billboards using such technology as it becomes more popular. I would imagine it could also have disasterous affects beamed at people driving cars or operating machinery, etc.

Well there was the air and noise pollution to start with, then the exposure to toxic chemicals and micro-waves The amount of micro-waves, not to mention crime and the stress of people rushing and packed together, now this.

Forget it Buffy. You want a date I am taking you to the country to listen to the loons cry out their song(Zionists are not mean Zionists are not mean).... not this city slicker nonsense.

Edited by Rue

I suppose one could argue such technology would disturb members of the public if they do not understand what the technology is but I would imagine as it becomes more common place, less and less people will get spooked about it as they get used to it.

Many citizens were spooked when cameras were installed here and there in public places. Now people seem to accept and ignore them, unless you're a perp committing a criminal offence.

Imagine walking through Times Square in New York, can you believe they have the technology available now to force you to SEE advertising!? Everywhere you look, there's some for of advertisement... the audacity.

I think this audible billboard is just another form of the same ol' ad crap we've been subjected to all along. It's not good or bad, it just is. What difference does this make when compared to the street vendor shouting at people as they pass by? I don't think there is a difference.

It's obnoxious and hopefully it'll dissuade people from buying those companies products (or watching their shows/movies... whatever), this way it won't be cost effective to use that form of advertising. We all know that's not going to be the case though.