How would you feel if.....

Posit

Can he do his job? Does he have the qualifications? Is he a good manager apart from his poor English oral skills? Can he communicate clearly and effectively with his writing skills? Does he comply with the company's policies and procedures? Does he bring value added services to the company? If the answer is yes to most or all of the above, then I would have no problem at all having an ex-pat Iraqi as my boss or client.

In the past, I have worked for as either a direct hire or as a consultant for: English whites, French-Canadians, Indo-Canadians, Greeks, Chinese, (including CBC's, Naturalized, and Foreign Nationals from Taiwan, Hong Kong and China), Americans, Poles, and others. I've worked with and for people who are Christian, Muslim, Hebrew, Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh and even a Wiccan. I've dealt with people who's English would make the Queens sound like that of a London Barrel-boy and those who had a hard time ordering fries from Micky-D's. In my experience, none of the above would tell me who was or would be a good or bad boss. I will work with anyone I judge to be a competent professional in my field, regardless of their ethnic or religious background, sexual orientation and gender. Those that I judge to wasting my time and energy, I walk away from. This I have done a number of times again both as a direct hire or as a consultant.

Okay, now you are just sounding like one of those rabid angry white men that call into Rush Limbaugh. I maybe new here, but I tell a troll when I see one, and while you are not suppose to feed trolls, this time I'll bite.

So did this happen to you personally? Doubt it was a religious based promotion considering the majority of East Indians in Canada are Sikh's or Hindu's and your boss being an ex-pat Iraqi would most likely be Muslim and the Sikh's, along with the Hindu's have been warring against the Muslims long before the British Rag in India.

Personally I would ask myself why I was passed over for promotion. What did Sanghi bring to the table that I am lacking? Instead of looking for a reverse-discrimination excuse to soothe my battered ego, I'd be looking for ways to improve my knowledge base and skill sets in order to better my chances the next time a promotion is in the offering. That is how it pretty much works in the real world, sucks I know but there you go.

Yes. You ARE new aren't you....

Stick around and you'll see why I asked the question. All of it is purely hypothetical.

Edited by Posit

Ok. So your ex-pat Iraqi boss just passed you over for a promotion and gave the job to some 2nd generation East Indian fella named Sanghi. How does THAT make you FEEL?

Your ham-handed attempts at reverse psychology are about as lame as they can possibly be. What's even sadder is that you probably imagine you're being clever, lurking behind a bush, ready to leap out and holler "racist" at the first poor bugger who is dumb enough to wander through this inept cow patch and accidentally step on a dung plop. You'll probably imagine that you're clever when you expound triumphantly that things really work in reverse (no they don't, actually, but whatever).

I'll tell you a secret. I often hire English speaking Indian writers to do the grunt work for ebooks and technical work, and then polish them up and submit them to North American and European clients for a significant markup. Today, for example, I paid an invoice for $350 USD, and turned around and collected a fee of $4178 USD for the same work after 4 hours proofing work. My usual technical writer, also in India, has a superlative grasp of technical aspects of IT that I don't even pretend to understand, and a damned near flawless command of English, yet I pay him no more than a quarter of what I make for the work he mostly does. The funny thing is that everyone is happy...he makes more from me than most people in India, I make a good living with not too much work, and my client is happy because he buys the services of a highly reputable communications company and gets the very best product he can get.

I have the highest respect for my writers. I don't frankly care what race they are or what nation they live in. I'll eventually be visiting each and every one in whatever nook and cranny of the world they happen to be. But if they come here, I'm sure as hell not going to feel guilty about paying them less or not giving them a boost to where I am, because this country is my country, not their's, and they ought to expect no more help from me than I would expect from them if I decided to set up shop in their country. (Mind you, if this BC land bubble doesn't pop soon, I'm gonna be looking for a cottage outside Putanagar fairly damned soon). I actually have spent years in some of those countries, and I know damned well that crawling and cringing to foreign immigrants ain't on the front burner agenda in any of them.

So you see Posit, some of us don't just sit around in a farmhouse basement embellishing our life situations and pontificating about how nasty it is to live in a land where folks won't "share" everything with foreign immigrants. Some of us actually live and work in the international arena where interaction is a daily occurrence.

So Sanghi starts to use your assistant. You ask your assistant to do something for you and he says that he has deadlines on Sanghi's priorty projects. How does THIS make you feel?

Pissed, but that's what happens in all firms. Just because he is your assistant doesn't make him your flippin' slave. He gets assigned a task from a superiour, he has to do it, regardless on how you feel about it. You got a problem with the allocation of resources, take it up with upper management, just don't come whining to me about it, I've my own priorities to look after.

Your ham-handed attempts at reverse psychology are about as lame as they can possibly be. What's even sadder is that you probably imagine you're being clever, lurking behind a bush, ready to leap out and holler "racist" at the first poor bugger who is dumb enough to wander through this inept cow patch and accidentally step on a dung plop. You'll probably imagine that you're clever when you expound triumphantly that things really work in reverse (no they don't, actually, but whatever).

I'll tell you a secret. I often hire English speaking Indian writers to do the grunt work for ebooks and technical work, and then polish them up and submit them to North American and European clients for a significant markup. Today, for example, I paid an invoice for $350 USD, and turned around and collected a fee of $4178 USD for the same work after 4 hours proofing work. My usual technical writer, also in India, has a superlative grasp of technical aspects of IT that I don't even pretend to understand, and a damned near flawless command of English, yet I pay him no more than a quarter of what I make for the work he mostly does. The funny thing is that everyone is happy...he makes more from me than most people in India, I make a good living with not too much work, and my client is happy because he buys the services of a highly reputable communications company and gets the very best product he can get.

I have the highest respect for my writers. I don't frankly care what race they are or what nation they live in. I'll eventually be visiting each and every one in whatever nook and cranny of the world they happen to be. But if they come here, I'm sure as hell not going to feel guilty about paying them less or not giving them a boost to where I am, because this country is my country, not their's, and they ought to expect no more help from me than I would expect from them if I decided to set up shop in their country. (Mind you, if this BC land bubble doesn't pop soon, I'm gonna be looking for a cottage outside Putanagar fairly damned soon). I actually have spent years in some of those countries, and I know damned well that crawling and cringing to foreign immigrants ain't on the front burner agenda in any of them.

So you see Posit, some of us don't just sit around in a farmhouse basement embellishing our life situations and pontificating about how nasty it is to live in a land where folks won't "share" everything with foreign immigrants. Some of us actually live and work in the international arena where interaction is a daily occurrence.

You got ALL THAT? from a hypothetical question? Ok...

Now tell us what you REALLY think.....

Edited by Posit

You got ALL THAT? from a hypothetical question? Ok...

Now tell us what you REALLY think.....

No, I got all that from the theme of your posts on this and other subjects, and from the generally lacklustre intelligence level displayed by you in most things. We both know why you posted this thread, we both know more or less what you're getting at, and I at least know that you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

No, I got all that from the theme of your posts on this and other subjects, and from the generally lacklustre intelligence level displayed by you in most things. We both know why you posted this thread, we both know more or less what you're getting at, and I at least know that you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

I didn't ask you what YOU ~think~. I asked what YOU ~feel~. There is a big difference and if you aren't capable of expressing those feelings then perhaps you should find another place to troll....

I didn't ask you what YOU ~think~. I asked what YOU ~feel~. There is a big difference and if you aren't capable of expressing those feelings then perhaps you should find another place to troll....

Well, since you asked, I "feel" like you're a self-inflating liar. Please keep in mind that I offer this feeling because you asked for it, and remind Higgy of that fact before his finger starts stabbing at the 'report' button. I feel that you lie a lot about numerous aspects of your life, and while that says more about you than about me, it makes me 'feel' embarrassed for you. To have to make up stuff about one's life to make it appear interesting and hoist your own feeling of self worth much be sad for you. I also "feel" you are indulging in topics you know nothing about, and it evokes scorn in me.

Well, since you asked, I "feel" like you're a self-inflating liar. Please keep in mind that I offer this feeling because you asked for it, and remind Higgy of that fact before his finger starts stabbing at the 'report' button. I feel that you lie a lot about numerous aspects of your life, and while that says more about you than about me, it makes me 'feel' embarrassed for you. To have to make up stuff about one's life to make it appear interesting and hoist your own feeling of self worth much be sad for you. I also "feel" you are indulging in topics you know nothing about, and it evokes scorn in me.

Those still aren't feelings...they are thoughts masked in "I feel" statements. It proves that you are incapable of understanding the difference.

Those still aren't feelings...they are thoughts masked in "I feel" statements. It proves that you are incapable of understanding the difference.

Is that what it proves? Forgive me for saying so, but judging by other recent threads about genocide and "oral tradition," your standards of "proof are emminently laughable.