George W Bush

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
I'm not sure about that anymore. Many of my friends from over seas tell me that they now see no difference between us and the US. The tasering in BC isn't going to help that perception, either.

I was going to point that out myself, but figured people wouldn't believe me or would just think I was being defensive because I'm an American. But it's true. A lot of people abroad look at North America (ie: Canada and the U.S.) the same. I have to admit, I was really surprised to see that.

I'm not sure about that anymore. Many of my friends from over seas tell me that they now see no difference between us and the US. The tasering in BC isn't going to help that perception, either.

Oh..there still is a huge difference, judging by all the chatter and concern about how Canada looks to the rest of the world....more than the facts of the man's death. This is a fundamental Canadian value....please love us!

The Americans...not so much.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I was going to point that out myself, but figured people wouldn't believe me or would just think I was being defensive because I'm an American. But it's true. A lot of people abroad look at North America (ie: Canada and the U.S.) the same. I have to admit, I was really surprised to see that.

Might have something to do with reality...Little Satan vs. Big Satan. Canadians are taught not to dwell on past and present trangressions, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world can't.

Who's pass election, Bush's? The one that was rigged from the start? No matter what YOU think of your name sakes, they are the most hated men in the world! Let the world take a poll US vs Canada and see which one would come out ahead?

Ahead of what? People voting with their feet choose America in larger numbers...always have. Even the Canadians head south to the Evil Empire in greater numbers.

You know in the 2004 election, I remember finding a election poll of how other countries viewed the election of the US and who would win. The world chosed Kerry and even the votes from the US, wanted Kerry, so you wonder why he didn't win but now we know how it was rigged.

America doesn't give a crap about the world's preference in US federal elections, and frankly such pretending helped to hurt Senator Kerry's chances. Even Iran preferred Bush over Kerry...LOL! :lol:

Anyways, I wonder what other Canadians think on matter considering we don't really give a crap what Americans think, I don't believ that was the purpose of the post. Trying to tell an American he can't speak though is like an affront to of that's holy.

Edited by jawapunk

Anyways, I wonder what other Canadians think on matter considering we don't really give a crap what Americans think, I don't believ that was the purpose of the post. Trying to tell an American he can't speak though is like an affront to of that's holy.

That's easy to figure out....Canadians turfed the Liberals and "elected" PM Harper....any questions?

What a load of crap. I could care less and I 'm fairly sure that is a common sentiment. We simply don't want to be equated with Americans, it has nothing to do with wanting to be loved.

I think you mean you "couldn't care less", because if you "could care less"....then...that means you care a little....and...oh...well....nevermind!

Seems to me that marrying Americans, and trading with Americans, and watching American media, and dual CanAm citizenship, and hockey with Americans (omigod), and wars alongside Americans....just might smell a little bit like "American".

Hell, I can smell Canada where I live, and it smells fine to me.

Really? The majority of Canadians are self-loathing? I'd like to see the stats from that poll or survey. You have a link for that?

Sorry Fortunata. There is no link to provide. This is the personal opinion I have formulated as a result of my 60 years as a native born Canadian.

If it makes you feel better, I'll revise the number of the "majority" of Canadians to "at least half".

Really? The majority of Canadians are self-loathing? I'd like to see the stats from that poll or survey. You have a link for that?

If you'll notice, Fortunata, it's only the rightwing Canadians that are self-loathing. The rest of us are pretty happy with the country.

I bet if one did a poll...

1. Do you consider yourself conservative?... Yes

2. Do you love being Canadian?... Hell no! I hate this liberal-multicultural-hedonistic-banana republic cesspool!

:lol:

If you'll notice, Fortunata, it's only the rightwing Canadians that are self-loathing. The rest of us are pretty happy with the country.

2. Do you love being Canadian?... Hell no! I hate this liberal-multicultural-hedonistic-banana republic cesspool!

That's a good run of words "liberal-multicultural-hedonistic - banana...etc. Being a radical moderate myself is threatening to some. The advesarial and partisan approach to life becomes tiresome and tedious. Did enough us and them fighting to fill three life times. Moderation seems to be considered terrible to some..it's not a case of compromise and the loss of agendas and dreams, but it is a matter of common sense that must be applied - conservatism was meant to conserve what is good and true and generates prosperity for all. Liberalism was to liberate - I don't see the left or right doing either. So to have power..

- you have to go down the centre and understand that the control of chaos and evil - which to me are stupidity - must be mastered "young men - you are strong for you have mastered evil" - - - Fear must be put aside and healthy and steadfast bravery must occur - then - things will settle...I walk the dogs in the morning and they are re-actionary and were out smarted by a moderate black cat that stood still and avoided them - I saw the cat the dumb dogs did not...lesson - maintain your ground and do not be moved by emotion and sensuality or be provoked by provocateurs.....stand still and observe then act - once angered - you are controled. Moderation - balance.

I'll revise the number of the "majority" of Canadians to "at least half".

That would mean half of the people I know are self-loathing, and you know what?.. I haven't noticed that at all. People are pretty happy with themselves and who they are; we live in a good country, we have good jobs, we have what most people in the world wish they could have. There doesn't seem to be a great discontent that I've noticed.

Guest American Woman

That's right. The purpose of this thread was to discuss the AMERICAN president, without desire for an AMERICAN viewpoint. Yet you don't even see the irony of 'not giving a crap about what Americans think' -- when it's THEIR president under discussion. How many threads do you think there are regarding what Americans think about Harper, where the Americans don't want Canadian views?- where the Americans don't "give a crap" what Canadians think?

Furthermore, why would you even try to tell an American he can't speak? I've never had the desire to tell a Canadian he can't speak. Your post, this thread, speaks volumes. You say you "don't want to be equated with Americans." Get over it and just be yourself.

I never understood the idea of wearing a Maple Leaf on your backpacks so people know you're not an American when you travel. If they can't tell by how nice, polite, and un-American you are, then I guess you aren't nice, polite, and un-American compared to us.

Just get on with your life. Be yourself. If the day comes when I concern myself with 'not being Canadian,' if that's how I define myself and my goals for myself and my country, then that'll be the day that I have a real problem.

Edited by American Woman

I think history will be much kinder to Bush than many think.

The liberal media absolutely LOATHED Reagan and now you would think he was a democrat.

;)

The good: tax cuts; agressive confrontation against terrorism, restricting abortion as a form of birthcontrol (late term abortions), amalgamating federal security agencies.

The bad: won the war in Iraq, but had a hard time with the 'peace'. rushed into Iraq too quickly, huge deficits.

I don't believe all Conservatives are right wingers. For example, I am a centrist Conservative. There were enough Liberals in disagreement with the direction of the country to cause them to vote Conservative thereby changing the ruling party.

In your hypothetical answer to the second poll question, you're closer to the truth than you know. ;)

I don't know what the problem is American Woman, it is a legitimate request to get a Canadian opinion on another world leader. Why does this have to include an American opinion? If a thread was started that simply stated what is your viewpoint of Bush then I would expect to see a varied response. When I see a thread that asks what a certain group thinks then I would expect to see a certain group make a response.

The reason I say I don't care what an American thinks is because for the most part Americans get exrtremly defensive about subjects touching on their own country. That is to say if you arent from here we don't give a crapo what your opinion is especially if it has to do anything with our politics. Bush-Cheney 2004 has pretty much summed that one up.

If there was a thread that discussed Harper and was seeking American input I would respect that. However I doubt that one would exist as Americans seldom care about politics outside their own country.

Guest American Woman
The reason I say I don't care what an American thinks is because for the most part Americans get exrtremly defensive about subjects touching on their own country. That is to say if you arent from here we don't give a crapo what your opinion is especially if it has to do anything with our politics. Bush-Cheney 2004 has pretty much summed that one up.

You mean like this? "This is our country. Piss off."

And this? "Who the fuck cares. This is our vote, and you can do whatever the fuck you want in your own jurisdiction. Otherwise, piss off."

Except I'm not quoting an American. I'm quoting a Canadian. Seems Canadians get extremely defensive about subjects touching on their own country, eh? <_<

But if you think it's cool to discuss an American president and not care about American opinions, as you criticize Americans for not caring about anything outside their country, go for it. I'll still chuckle at the irony of it. But here's a tip. No one is forcing anyone to read all the responses on this board. If you're only interested in Canadian views, I suggest you only read posts made by Canadians. ;)

Edited by American Woman

You are going off the deep end here. I think the point of the post was that there have been a multitude of American opinions heard regarding Bush and his presidency. We as Canadians do afterall get all the major American networks and their news as well as CNN etc etc. I thin the poster simply wanted to hear what some Canadians thought about the Bush administration.

You have to admit there is a far more isolationist practice in America in regards to what news they cover, what is taught in public schools and general international knowledge such as geography, world leaders and world events. That is not to say we don't have ignorants in Canada but I believe Ms. Teen Sotuh Carolina proved this point the most eloquently.

And I told another poster to stop it because he actually wasn't adding anything to the posting, which is pretty much what we are now doing as well. I am not sure of any irony being displayed here, I don't think I professed that ONLY America has citizens who were ignorant or self involved.

Why don't you go start a new posting about Bush's presidency for Americans to comment on if it has riled you up that much.

Guest American Woman

You're right. We only learn about the United States in our "world events" classes. And we only learn about the United States in "world geography" classes. And we only learn about our leaders when learning about "world leaders."

I'd love to know where you got your knowledge regarding what Americans learn in public schools-- as you remark on Americans' lack of knowledge of other nations. I'm guessing that once again the irony is lost on you. But please tell me you aren't judging the curriculum of our public schools by what Miss Teen South Carolina says. Because there wouldn't be enough :lol: 's for that.

Anyway, like I said before. Carry on. I find it all amusing. :P

Edited by American Woman