NCC apologizes and removes portrait that offends Francophones

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An anglophone one at that.......must have left the province because he could get a job due to discrimination eh?

...BUSTED

Either way Dancer, Lord Durham did not do something so outlandish by suggesting at that day in age that we ought to have a unilingual system. You dont have to agree with it. But it was not a horrible thing. It was within reason. France has an official unilingual policy by the way. So the Alsace comparison of yours would be something like how people in Cape Breton spoke Gaelic.

Lord Durham did much to halt the fighting and bickering between Upper and Lower Canada. In his time, he was a unifying force. Why undermine and sully his important contribution?

By caving in to these over-zealous Francophones, the NCC is aiding those who work to revise and re-write our history. Another victory for the revisionists. This warped perspective will now make its way down into our schools' history books.

We bitch and complain then swallow it whole.

The verdict is in...

M.Dancer leaves Leafless unclothed and battered. It was actually quite stunning to see Leafless keep coming back to be slapped down again and again.

Leafless’ contention of Quebec’s artificiality because they benefit from federal transfers must be heartening to the Maritimes and other equalization beneficiaries. But the real “steeping in it” moment came when Leafless associates Trudeau’s opposition to Meech and Charlottetown as somehow the source of the notion of Quebec as a distinct society.

Durham belongs in history books, but is entirely unworthy of sterile panel coverage. His historically defining moment was to advance contemporary common wisdom with an ample supply of (as Leafless and others demonstrate) enduring intolerance.

Durham belongs in history books, but is entirely unworthy of sterile panel coverage. His historically defining moment was to advance contemporary common wisdom with an ample supply of (as Leafless and others demonstrate) enduring intolerance.

w00t! Well said. Lord Durham is not the only historic figure who is not worthy of being idolized, but it's a start.

An anglophone one at that.......must have left the province because he could get a job due to discrimination eh?

...BUSTED

You are so clever Dancer. Why, the fact that Mulroney was a Quebecer clearly nullifies and makes mockery of the very thought that Anglophones have ever left Quebec because of feeling unwanted or discriminated against. Those legions of Anglos who fled did so uh, because of job opportunities, yeah, that's it. There's no discrimination in Quebec and anyone who thinks otherwise is a bigot.

Your logic is unassailable.

w00t! Well said. Lord Durham is not the only historic figure who is not worthy of being idolized, but it's a start.

A Frenchman from a province with a long history of bigotry towards Anglos and minorities, a province where openly anti-English bigots are warmly embraced by society, by the academic community, media, labour, and government, a province whose own leaders revel in small-minded bigotry towards anyone not of their own linguistic background calling Durhman unworthy because he had the temerity to suggest Canada should be English.

Irony anyone?

You are so clever Dancer. Why, the fact that Mulroney was a Quebecer clearly nullifies and makes mockery of the very thought that Anglophones have ever left Quebec because of feeling unwanted or discriminated against. Those legions of Anglos who fled did so uh, because of job opportunities, yeah, that's it. There's no discrimination in Quebec and anyone who thinks otherwise is a bigot.

Your logic is unassailable.

Things go so easily over your head, you must stand 2'2" on your tippy toes......tell me again how Mulroney sabotaged Meech? Does you reply have anything to do with leafless' comment, or are you like the mouse in the teapot in Alice in wonderland, popping out randomly to spout some non sequiter?

Should I give up waiting for a citation for your claims...because you know, an argument without facts is.....well, pretty much standard operating procedure with you.

The verdict is in...Leafless’ contention of Quebec’s artificiality because they benefit from federal transfers must be heartening to the Maritimes and other equalization beneficiaries. But the real “steeping in it” moment came when Leafless associates Trudeau’s opposition to Meech and Charlottetown as somehow the source of the notion of Quebec as a distinct society.

M.Dancer leaves Leafless unclothed and battered. It was actually quite stunning to see Leafless keep coming back to be slapped down again and again.

Quebec benefiting from federal transfer payments is not only Leafless's only contention, but only a single one. Can you read, as there are many more.

Dramatic words from someone who has contributed nothing to this thread but is one to agree (for whatever reason) Dancers twisted diatribe.

As a matter of fact I view Dancer as the one unclothed and battered, who stands up for an arrogant, violent people unworthy of any type of respect and who leech of off the federal government and the tax payers of Canada to support to support their UNFOUNDED QUEBEC STYLE NATIONALISM robbing Canadians of their rightful place in Canada as the only legal entity as masters of their own country.

Tolerance is nothing but moral relativism that has no standards.

One who believes in tolerance is one that has little or no intelligence to separate FACT from FICTION.

...BUSTED

Mulroney was no Anglophone, in the strict sense, but a bilingual Quebecer from Baie Comeau who failed to impress his Quebec Lieutenant Lucien Bouchard with the Failure of passing the Meech Lake Accord.

Bouchard BUSTED Mulroney in the following election:

The 1993 election saw Mulroney's Western base destroyed by the election of 52 Manningites or Reformers. Mulroney's 63 Quebec seats were decimated by Lucien Bouchard's defection and the creation of the Bloc Québécois. The Bloc won 54 seats in 1993; the Tories lost 167.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_zolf/20031020.html

Hey, Bouchard showed Mulroney, hey, you can't play around with Quebecers.

Either way Dancer, Lord Durham did not do something so outlandish by suggesting at that day in age that we ought to have a unilingual system. You dont have to agree with it. But it was not a horrible thing. It was within reason. France has an official unilingual policy by the way. So the Alsace comparison of yours would be something like how people in Cape Breton spoke Gaelic.

Pist jefferiah, it's not people in "Cape Breton spoke Gaelic"- "It's Speak Gaelic". Cape Breton teaches Gaelic, it has a Gaelic Collage. The language never died, in fact Capers are teaching the language visa vie on line to Scottish Students.

Wow when the francos go at it it reminds me of the Officers Mess, I'll just stand back and let the tabernacs fly.

Carry on, Argus has a good point why is it so hard for Quebecers to omit they are biased and boardline headcases against the English speakers?

Mulroney was no Anglophone, in the strict sense,.....

What can you say in the face of such abject mull headeness?

Among otherthings leafless' defence of the english language is ironic considering he has not no where mastered it.

What can you say in the face of such abject mull headeness?

Among otherthings leafless' defence of the english language is ironic considering he has not no where mastered it.

Don't understand English Dancer?

An Anglophone by definition is one who speaks English where other languages are usually spoken.

And that does not include speaking the foreign language French.

Edited by Leafless

Pist jefferiah, it's not people in "Cape Breton spoke Gaelic"- "It's Speak Gaelic". Cape Breton teaches Gaelic, it has a Gaelic Collage.

Yes I know that, but I don't think the majority of the Capers do, and certainly not to the degree that they spoke it 50 years ago.

The point I am making is the fact that Alsace is a language in France is not comparable to what English and French are in Canada---languages of government and business.

The fact that Gaelic is not an official language of Canada does not mean one is not allowed to speak Gaelic.

For someone to have said in that time frame that we ought to have one working language is nothing so harsh at all. Quebec says the same thing of itself all the time.

Edited by jefferiah

Don't understand English Dancer?

An Anglophone by definition is one who speaks English where other languages are usually spoken.

And that does not include speaking the foreign language French.

Then we agree, strictly speaking Mulroney is an Anglophone.

Or is the concept of a bingual anglophone just too advanced for you?

Definition: In general in Canada the word anglophone means an English-speaking person. Statistics Canada uses anglophone to mean someone whose mother tongue is English and who still speaks English.

Then we agree, strictly speaking Mulroney is an Anglophone.

Or is the concept of a bingual anglophone just too advanced for you?

It is not a question of being to far advanced for me, it is simply you are using incorrect linguistic terminology.

A bilingual Anglophone nullifies the definition of an Anglophone and that is what we are talking about an Anglophone.

The linguistic terminology you are groping for, rather than use your incorrect terminology a (bilingual Anglophone) is simply a person who is bilingual, a bilingual person.

Mulroney is a bilingual person or a person that is bilingual.

Edited by Leafless

A bilingual Anglophone nullifies the definition of an Anglophone and that is what we are talking about an Anglophone.

Nope, sorry. As per usual, in the strict sense, you are wrong.

Canada

In Canada, and especially in Quebec, the term "anglophone" or the abbreviation "anglo" is widely used to designate someone whose native language is English. This contrasts with francophone (someone whose native language is French) and allophone (someone with any other mother tongue). The latter term is rarely used outside Quebec in this meaning. See English-speaking Quebecer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophone

but go on and dissemble some more, it's fun reading a brokenphone....

Nope, sorry. As per usual, in the strict sense, you are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophone

but go on and dissemble some more, it's fun reading a brokenphone....

Where does this prove what I said is wrong?

BTW-INSULTS

Insults are the ammunition of the unintelligent - do not use them. It is okay to criticize a policy, decision, action or comment. Such criticism is part of healthy debate. It is not okay to criticize a person's character or directly insult them, regardless of their position or actions. Derogatory terms such as "loser", "idiot", etc are not permitted unless the context clearly implies that it is not serious. Rule of thumb: Play the ball, not the person (i.e. tackle the argument, not the person making it).

People who have a history of antagonistic behaviour will be treated more harshly than those who do not.

Insults levelled at third-parties (companies, political parties, nationalities) are also forbidden in the forums.

Just FYI - according to an program on CBC I was listening to couple of days back - the complaint was not about the poster per ce, but the omission of that persons ideas with respect to french heritage community of the Lower Canada (or Upper ?). According to NCC, the poster is coming back up in two weeks with added information.

I guess they had to explain their intent more clearly, but other than that I don't see an issue here. As someone in the program commented, they were complex people living within a context of a different time, and it's hard to summarize that in a matter of a few paragraphs that would suit everybody.

Where does this prove what I said is wrong?

You claim erroneously that because someone is bilingual, they are not a(n) Anglophone or a Francophone.

Knowledge of other languages is irrelevant and I suspect you know that. And that is where you dissemble. Unless of course you really are that clueless......

As a matter of fact I view Dancer as the one unclothed and battered, who stands up for an arrogant, violent people unworthy of any type of respect and who leech of off the federal government and the tax payers of Canada to support to support their UNFOUNDED QUEBEC STYLE NATIONALISM robbing Canadians of their rightful place in Canada as the only legal entity as masters of their own country.

Tolerance is nothing but moral relativism that has no standards.

One who believes in tolerance is one that has little or no intelligence to separate FACT from FICTION.

Gotta say you're funny when you are doing the hypocrite dance.....

BTW-INSULTS

Insults are the ammunition of the unintelligent - do not use them. It is okay to criticize a policy, decision, action or comment. Such criticism is part of healthy debate. It is not okay to criticize a person's character or directly insult them, regardless of their position or actions. Derogatory terms such as "loser", "idiot", etc are not permitted unless the context clearly implies that it is not serious. Rule of thumb: Play the ball, not the person (i.e. tackle the argument, not the person making it).

People who have a history of antagonistic behaviour will be treated more harshly than those who do not.

Insults levelled at third-parties (companies, political parties, nationalities) are also forbidden in the forums.

Notwithsatnding, ....I'm sure many here tolerate you ....

You claim erroneously that because someone is bilingual, they are not a(n) Anglophone or a Francophone.

Knowledge of other languages is irrelevant and I suspect you know that. And that is where you dissemble. Unless of course you really are that clueless......

Knowledge of the other language is not what is important, it is speaking the other language.

This in turn nullifies your Anglophone status.

This is the whole part about being an Anglophone and that is you are uni-lingual English and cannot speak the other language.

If you could you would be called what I said previously 'a bilingual person'.

What does it mean to say somebody is bilingual?

A bilingual person is someone who speaks two languages. A person who speaks more than two languages is called 'multilingual' (although the term 'bilingualism' can be used for both situations). Multilingualism isn't unusual; in fact, it's the norm for most of the world's societies. It's possible for a person to know and use three, four, or even more languages fluently.

http://lsadc.org/info/ling-faqs-biling.cfm

Edited by Leafless

Gotta say you're funny when you are doing the hypocrite dance.....

Perhaps you can try to explain yourself a little better rather than using cheap shot comments.

Besides, I am not the one that goes around strangling people with piano wire.

How do you like it?

Notwithsatnding, ....I'm sure many here tolerate you ....

I am only here on a political level and not on a personal level, unlike Dancer who continually incorporates personal attacks to try to win political arguments and appease his believers of political correctness.

This is the whole part about being an Anglophone and that is you are uni-lingual English and cannot speak the other language.

That in a nutshell (where else?) is incorrect.

For your benefit and my overwhelming tolerance, I will post it again, the definition of an anglophone.

In Canada, and especially in Quebec, the term "anglophone" or the abbreviation "anglo" is widely used to designate someone whose native language is English.

See if you can find a link that supports your own private personal definition.....

Edited by M.Dancer