Stephen Harper Greets the Other Amigos Wearing Khakis

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You woulda thunk the guy could have put on a suit. I saw it. I had to rub my eyes.

My, my, I do declare, how utterly uncouth!

Of course the quality of a leader is proportional to his fashion sense. Saddam had some amazing suits.

Edited by jefferiah

Personally I could not care if he greeted them as a nudist. The clothes and the girth of a body means nothing to me in a leader. I would rather look at what he can accomplish. We have already seen that when people get upset about the President, getting a blowjob from a willing young intern, that you then end up with the likes of Bush. I wonder just how many Americans feel so strongly about such things now, and How many would have rather had a clinton type over a Bush type in office.

Do not get me wrong, Harper would never win any beauty pagents, but he may win a doughnut eating contest. None of which would make him any different a leader. I will have to see just how well he carries the day and just what discussions have made progress on. Then I will access his ability as a leader, for that time period. If he actually stands up to Bush and does not let Canada be dragged into the police state policies that Bush would love, then I think he will have done as expected. As for the happenings with Mexico, I would like to see Canada make it a point to force the Mexican government, to answer the many disturbing things that have befell some of the Canadian tourists, and that real lack of any explanation. Mackay was completely useles at Foreign Affairs, and it showed quite readily. He accomplished nothing and never really did anything while there. So maybe it is time for the leaders to push for action, as it has been long enough already.

Edited by old_bold&cold

Did Steve fire the stylist psychick? If not she sure did not earn her money today. He looked positively dowdy next to the others. Plus it looks like he should at least start walking to MacDonalds to burn some of those calories.

Sheer mean-spirited pettiness.

Sheer mean-spirited pettiness.

Hey, he pays good taxpayer money to a stylist to make him look nice. She didn't make him look nice next to the two Presidents. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. Also the truth is is that he is getting fat. He needs exercise and a proper diet. That's not mean spirited nor petty, just the truth.

Did Steve fire the stylist psychick? If not she sure did not earn her money today. He looked positively dowdy next to the others. Plus it looks like he should at least start walking to MacDonalds to burn some of those calories.

I agree.

Mr. Harper looked totally unprofessional and looked to laid back as if totally uninterested as compared to George Bush and Felipe Calderon.

Maybe Mr. Harper should take acting lessons like the rest of them.

The meeting has now broken up. It was hard to see what if anything was decided by the group. It all seems so ambiguous.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/08/21/summit-talks.html

In a joint statement issued Tuesday, the leaders agreed to:

* Develop common protocols through the Canada-Mexico-United States Emergency Management Council to manage the movement of goods and people, including emergency responders, across borders during a natural or man-made emergency, such as a terrorist attack or outbreak of avian flu.

* Advance multilateral trade liberalization through a successful conclusion to the World Trade Organization Doha Round of negotiations.

* Strengthen co-operation on identifying and stopping unsafe food and products before they enter the three countries.

* Look for ways to co-operate on national auto fuel efficiency standards and work together to develop clean energy technologies and resolve global warming.

* Streamline regulations and make them compatible in order to enhance the flow of trade on the continent and eliminate redundant testing and certification requirements.

* Better measure the scope of and improve the detection and deterrence of counterfeiting and piracy in North America. Expand public awareness of the importance of intellectual property rights

in protecting North American economies and consumer health.

* Develop a plan to respond to increasing pressures on American, Mexican and Canadian competitiveness in the global markets.

Some of these issue are "motherhood" issues like WTO talks. However, they don't actually do anything to get the talks going.

I see the U.S. got its piracy and copyright issue on the table but issues of northern security were brushed aside by the U.S. even as Russia and Denmark lay claim to the north pole.

The meeting doesn't seem to have done anything concrete at all. It certainly doesn't stop the U.S. from wanting to fingerprint Canadians as part of security requirements to the U.S., it doesn't clear up passport issues, it doesn't detail any of the broad plans they say must be worked on by all three parties.

All in all, a waste of time.

I'd rather be embarrassed by what my leader wears than by he says and does.

LOL. Nicely said, but I would rather not be embarrassed at all if given the choice. As far as nothing getting done/waist of time, you'd have to be a corporate head to know what, if anything got done. Us little people will never know until it's too late.

Absolutely. And ignorant as well.

Does this sound familiar?

As they say about the good Doctor on the Hill. Beautiful face. Dumptruck arse.

...or does this one?

Baby definitely got back

Ignorant ? ....unless of course you include yourself on this one.

The facts are that Harper had a wardrobe girl on his staff. Well paid apparently. Seems she was not doing her job.

Does it have anything at all to do with his performance? Nope, but it sure does lower perceptions of the guy, the same way the lack of any clarity in the english language does in Dion.

Who cares what he wore? Seriously. Our societies' silly emphasis on dress and appearance needs to go.

I disagree. How people dress is often a reflection of character. In my experience in the business world, there is often a correlation between the level of professionalism in dress and in capability. Those more confident in their ability express that outwards.

It is also a sign of respect. One far fetched example would be a formal wedding. If you showed up in jeans, you would be insulting the bride/groom because your saying their occasion is not worth the effort of dressing up. Same could be said of other situations in life and especially in business.

There are few exceptions. You'll find very few successful people that are poor dressers or don't invest a great deal in their appearance. Even Bill Gates wears designer clothing.

And our society? You can't find a society in the world were appearance isn't important.

Bottom line is that if you don't look professional, you'll have a hard time getting people that do to take you seriously. It's impossible to look like a confident professional when you are dressed like a bum.

Here, Harper meet that level of professionalism, there was nothing wrong with what he wore in the context of the situation.

Absolutely. And ignorant as well.

If you can't refute the message attack the messenger hey? Nice... and so predictable.

Here, Harper meet that level of professionalism, there was nothing wrong with what he wore in the context of the situation.

The clothes were fine, but not suited to him. Anyone with any extra weight should never wear tapered pants for example. It accentuates the heavy middle area. Also anyone with extra weight should not wear shirts without structure. It makes them look heavier. The answer for him would be (and hey! I'm not even paid for this), better quality fabrics with drape, straight trousers that are not long enough to bunch up around his feet which causes him to look even shorter and wider, shirts customized to draw the eye from the midsection. I think he should fire his stylist/psychick.

If you can't refute the message attack the messenger hey? Nice... and so predictable.

I was referring to your comment.

Harper should 'start walking to MacDonalds' was ignorant. Plain and simple.

What exactly was your message?

An attack on his weight it appears with the MacDonald's comment...

I was referring to your comment.

Harper should 'start walking to MacDonalds' was ignorant. Plain and simple.

What exactly was your message?

An attack on his weight it appears with the MacDonald's comment...

Interesting when Harris was our premier he was referred to as Ontario slope shouldered premier by the western media. Harper reminded me a little of him when I saw him, I think he needs a little more advice. Mr. Bush certainly has better taste.

Get a grip! Its not as if a fat politician is some new development! When was the last time anybody saw one of those folks actually working? If you eat and don't work you will get fat. Of course there are other ways to get fat too, such as beer drinking but that is not the point. The point is that the mans weight has no impact on his job performance. So it just doesn't matter. Neither does his hair style or choice of clothing, and yet the fools that we are we seem to complain about it anyway.