Flags Over Westchester County, New York, USA

There's a bridge over Interstate 287 in New York where someone put up four American flags a few weeks after September 11, 2001. Today he was replacing the now badly tattered and worn flags with fresh flags. I stopped on my errands to thank him.

There's a bridge over Interstate 287 in New York where someone put up four American flags a few weeks after September 11, 2001. Today he was replacing the now badly tattered and worn flags with fresh flags. I stopped on my errands to thank him.

That was a nice of you to do that.

Amazing the flags lasted that long.

And four of those winters were rather harsh.

This is a pretty good story JBG. Sounds like a great fellow.

I talked to him. He certainly is.

I wish it wouldn't have taken a tragedy for flags to go up in our country (though some started re-appearing after our 1976 bi-centennial).

On my way to and from work there is an underpass of two bridges for two two land highways. Inbetween the two bridges there is a small white cross with DAD on it with a year. It has been there for several years now.

There has been a memorial on the side of Deerfoot trail (the major highway in Calgary) just past Southland Drive for several years now, for the fallen officer Constable Rick Sonnenberg.

His death encouraged the Calgary Police to buy a police helicopter to prevent further deaths from high speed pursuits.

It's a really nice memorial, and been there as long as I can remember.

And what is the point of that pointless remark? What group would you have suggested for this topic?

American internal politics? Oh wait. There is no group for that. Maybe because this is Canadian discussion forum? Just a guess.

Your respect for me shrinks with every post....

I know it's a Canadian forum. Maybe it's just a beautiful story that I believe merited being told?

And what is the point of that pointless remark? What group would you have suggested for this topic?

American internal politics? Oh wait. There is no group for that. Maybe because this is Canadian discussion forum? Just a guess.

Your respect for me shrinks with every post....

I know it's a Canadian forum. Maybe it's just a beautiful story that I believe merited being told?

I checked on Saturday. Those flags are still there.

On my way to and from work there is an underpass of two bridges for two two land highways. Inbetween the two bridges there is a small white cross with DAD on it with a year. It has been there for several years now.
I (and I am sure everybody who drives regularly) see these all of the time.

Sometimes these fatal crash sites are marked by flowers and sometimes there is just a spray painted epitaph on the adjacent stone.

I am always moved by these reminders to slow down and be grateful. They help us in the same way as cautionary highway safety signs do -- maybe even more so by personalizing the risk of driving.

I (and I am sure everybody who drives regularly) see these all of the time.

Sometimes these fatal crash sites are marked by flowers and sometimes there is just a spray painted epitaph on the adjacent stone.

I am always moved by these reminders to slow down and be grateful. They help us in the same way as cautionary highway safety signs do -- maybe even more so by personalizing the risk of driving.

They are moving when created. The point I was trying to make is that this man has lovingly maintained the flags for more than five (5) years.

I meant to say "They are always moving when created." What makes this display special is that the person who set it up has continued to pay attention to it. It was no momentary impulse.

Thank him for what?

Andrew

Geez andrew, do you have to work hard at it or does it come easily for you.

Hey jbg , thanks for taking time in your busy day to do some kind deed that undoubtably more enjoy looking at than you probably know.

And on your own dime too. Very good sir and bravo.

Dont let the troglodytes upset you.

Hey jbg , thanks for taking time in your busy day to do some kind deed that undoubtably more enjoy looking at than you probably know.

And on your own dime too. Very good sir and bravo.

Dont let the troglodytes upset you.

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the flags, but I cannot.

I do notice many Canadians have an aversion to US-style patriotism.

[

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for the flags, but I cannot.

I do notice many Canadians have an aversion to US-style patriotism.

That is an astute observation and I agree with you. But what is funny is that for the most part we do the same, but dont realize it. When I point it out ot my friends, they all laugh and go hmmm.

Perhaps in the past few years, ya know...elections ,9-11 and all that does change the balance a bit.

Come here on Canada Day and you would think WTF are those Canucks bitching about. Everyone has a flag.

And , well sometimes the mouse wants to upset the elephant in the room...ya know what I mean. ;)

I am still waiting to understand what this has to do with Canada/US relations.

WTF?

Frankly.......... nothing .

Do you have a point?

Not any more, thanks. I now declare this thread irrelevant.

Fold up the computers boys and girls , apparently we are done .

Thanks for letting us know. Do you think you can call us when relevance returns?