Government funding for arts, culture and sports

Machjo

Government funding for arts, culture and sports  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Where do you think government spending on arts, culture and sports ought to be focussed?

personally, I think it ought all to go through the public school system, allowing all who want to learn music, sports, or other arts to do so. then they're free to do with that education as they please. I honestly don't see how concentrated funding for big events in big cities or capital cities benefit the population equally.

Your thoughts on this?

Art and Music is not nor has it every been remotely connected to funding or MONEY--if the music or art or sport is exceptionally good - the people will come - even if it is not in some fine venue sponsored by government - Any person that does art or music for money or needs money to do it is usually an imposter and a phoney that will contribute nothing to the minds and spirts of the common citizens - Real artists don't need your god damned money or the burearcratic control that destroys the creation....give them nothing - just make sure you invite the good ones over to eat once in a while.

The answers here are odd - either 1, or 2, or 1/2 and 1/2 ?

The government funds the arts and entertainment industries as it does other industries, and education is funded through provincial ministries. Amateur sports is funded federally as well as through other means.

You missed the 'other' option. I always include such an option in my polls.

Now as for government funding for various industries, I don't see why we could not just increase spending on education, offer more courses in arts, sports, etc, and then let the students decide for themselves what they want to do with their skills in their life rather than force industries to grow beyond market needs through government subsidies?

Where do you think government spending on arts, culture and sports ought to be focussed?

personally, I think it ought all to go through the public school system, allowing all who want to learn music, sports, or other arts to do so. then they're free to do with that education as they please. I honestly don't see how concentrated funding for big events in big cities or capital cities benefit the population equally.

Your thoughts on this?

My thoughts?

Machjo, I suggest that you take a look at this thread and its links and then get back to us. It seems to me that the question should not be how to spend the money but rather how to reduce the amount spent.

It is naive to believe that our politicians spend this money without taking their constituencies into account.

My thoughts?

Machjo, I suggest that you take a look at this thread and its links and then get back to us. It seems to me that the question should not be how to spend the money but rather how to reduce the amount spent.

It is naive to believe that our politicians spend this money without taking their constituencies into account.

I was trying to be pragmatic in this thred. I agree with reduced government spending, but don't know if it's politically feasible. If not, then I'd figure the proposal in this thread would be a second-best alternative. By redirecting that money to the Ministry of Education, which is required to distribute the funding to schools on a per student ratio, then we could be sure that all children in a given province would benefit equally from spending in arts or sports education, etc., which is not at all the case when the money is spent on arenas, theatres, etc., where the money goes in a focussed way to a particular location, benefitting (or hindering) the locals of that area disproportionately to other areas even though everyon contributes as much to it in taxes.