Human Rights Complaint against Canadian Website

Even if you admit it's ridiculous Rue, and say it will be thrown out, something like this should not even be considered. For crying out loud if you have to go before the tribunal for something as little as that, these complaints could still become a real nuisance even if you do win the case. Hiring a lawyer, time off work, stress....etc etc. All this over a few relatively mild comments.

And did anyone hear about the radical Imam they let on Vision TV? They apologized and said they regretted having him on and then let him on again the next day. Apparently you cant make mild comments about muslims, but its ok for them to call for the extermination of Jews.

And what about the preacher in Alberta who was charged for his letter to a Red Deer editorial about homosexuality being taught to children in school. The charge was filed by a professor at the U of A who was not even gay. Homosexuals even came out to support the man's right to free speech. Why does the CHRC even consider these loons? I suppose it keeps the cash flowing for them. The more people whine about offense the longer they can exist.

Crimes are crimes without hate legislation anyway. But still I mean half of these hate speech cases are not actual calls to violence against a particular group, just moral objections. I would think that the defintion of hate speech should only include speech that encourages a crime against the group, not just for speaking your mind about it.

Edited by jefferiah

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The left love to say as an argument to limit free speech, that you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre. But what if the theatre is on fire. This case is the perfect example of that analogy.

Well, jee whiz, B. Max! You caught us real good-like on that one. I mean, it's not like we actually have a relevant analogy to oppose that " reasoning " , if it can even be called that. Since it is a misdemeanor to randomly pull a fire alarm, it must be a misdemeanor to pull a fire alarm if there is a fire, eh?

'B. Max' post='239452' date='Jul 23 2007, 10:37 PM']

The left love to say as an argument to limit free speech, that you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre. But what if the theatre is on fire. This case is the perfect example of that analogy.

Well, jee whiz, B. Max! You caught us real good-like on that one. I mean, it's not like we actually have a relevant analogy to oppose that " reasoning " , if it can even be called that. Since it is a misdemeanor to randomly pull a fire alarm, it must be a misdemeanor to pull a fire alarm if there is a fire, eh?

I will bow to what surely must be your first hand experience in such matters.

If Free Dominion simply ignored the complaint and did not comply with the CHRC's requests, would the CHRC have the mandate to bring the case to Criminal Court? If the case went to Criminal Court and the Court found in favour of Free Dominion wouldn't the complainant then not have to pay the defendant's court and legal fees?
I can't speak for Canada, but there was a recent tragedy in our area, where someone was arrested at age 16 for a rape. He spent 17 years in jail, until a DNA test sponsored by the "Innocence Project" freed him.

Presumably he is suing the State (the equivalent of the Crown) but those suits tend to be unproductive. I don't think one has civil recourse against the complainant since criminal charges are laid in the name of the Crown, not the complainant.

Again, I cannot and will not render an opinion on Canadian law. I am stating the way it would be in New York, with "State" or "People" substituted for "Crown".

Even if you admit it's ridiculous Rue, and say it will be thrown out, something like this should not even be considered. For crying out loud if you have to go before the tribunal for something as little as that, these complaints could still become a real nuisance even if you do win the case. Hiring a lawyer, time off work, stress....etc etc. All this over a few relatively mild comments.

And did anyone hear about the radical Imam they let on Vision TV? They apologized and said they regretted having him on and then let him on again the next day. Apparently you cant make mild comments about muslims, but its ok for them to call for the extermination of Jews.

Lots of double standards here.

Now its hit the MSM has anyone seen it in our MSM

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../107240082/1001

SAULT STE. MARIE, Ontario — Organizers of a conservative online forum in Canada say their free-speech rights are under attack after they received a letter saying a complaint has been filed with the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

The complaint, filed by a private citizen and accepted for further investigation by the commission, protested a critical posting on the forum's Web site regarding Islam and homosexuality.

The remarks were posted on FreeDominion.ca, a sister site to the conservative U.S. forum FreeRepublic, by FreeDominion member Bill Whatcott, a former homosexual prostitute turned outspoken Christian activist.

“I can't figure out why the homosexuals I ran into are on the side of the Muslims,” Mr. Whatcott wrote on the Web site. “After all, Muslims who practice Sharia law tend to advocate beheading homosexuals.”

He also attributed the worldwide Muslim fury at the Danish Muhammad cartoons to “violence and discrimination inherent in Islamic theology.”

The complaint, which has not been made public, reportedly said the posting “has a discriminatory content against Muslims, and Free Dominion contributes to disseminating hate literature by allowing it to be on its Web site.”

-snip-

Canadian hate speech laws are more stringent than in the United States and outlaw some remarks that would be protected in the United States by the First Amendment. Miss Gregoire said she was unsure whether a tribunal could order the shutdown of a Web site.

Conservative bloggers across Canada have rallied to the defense of the Free Dominion organizers, who suspect they are being victimized for their conservative leanings.

“I cannot help but think that this is a politically motivated attack on our members' free speech; the commission is behaving like Voldemort's Death Eaters in the new Harry Potter book,” said forum co-founder Connie Wilkins.

“Whatever your political persuasion, you can't possibly condone this attack on free expression by an unaccountable, unelected bureaucracy,” wrote Kathy Shaidle of Toronto, who denounced the complaint as a “secular fatwa” on her widely read Relapsed Catholic blog... cont.

Lots of double standards here.

Now its hit the MSM has anyone seen it in our MSM\

scriblett, please don't tell me you are calling the Washington Times mainstream media.

The Times is the flagship publication of News World Communications, Inc. (NWC). NWC was founded by Sun Myung Moon, and some of its officials are members of the Unification Church which he leads, a fact that has drawn some criticism and controversy.

i.e. the moonies.

The Times was Ronnie Reagan's favourite paper.

The Times is the flagship publication of News World Communications, Inc. (NWC). NWC was founded by Sun

i.e. the moonies.

The Times was Ronnie Reagan's favourite paper.

I didn't know that, sorry, guess I was thinking maybe of the Wash. Post ? But if it was Ronnie's favourite paper it must be okay :)- What are their readership numbers, anyone know?

worldnetdaily.com has it on their site now.

The U.S. is considering a 'hate crimes' bill, don't know if it will be as broad as ours. The problem is of course how widely defined and subjective 'hate speech' can be. It can be and is used as a weapon to censor peaceful political speech that someone simply doesn’t like. Mere disagreement is simploy redefined as hate. Pretty soon we'll all have little chips implanted in our heads in order for the thought police to censor even our thoughts.

As opposed to the sheepeople who eat up the Pablum dispensed by the likes of the red star or NYT that are just propaganda rags for the cesspool of corruption.

How often you read the NY Times?

No where near as left as the Red Star. Even the Star runs the odd column, story critical of the left.

Problem with the likes of the Washington Times and Fox News is they don't even pretend to hide their bias.

World Nut Daily is also a Moonie organ.

That's world net daily.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56826

I suppose if you agreed with the content it wouldn't matter who was behind it. Maybe it would be better to discuss the articles and content, as it doesn't really matter who owns it or is behind it, its the articles and news that we are concerned about.

name='Michael Bluth' date='Jul 25 2007, 04:24 PM' post='239881']

How often you read the NY Times?

I wouldn't read that.

Problem with the likes of the Washington Times and Fox News is they don't even pretend to hide their bias.

Because they have nothing to hide. The truth is not bias until it concerns those that do have something to hide.

I'm a little late to the thread, and I don't know (even after reading the article) what it is all about, but the line "People believe you are a racist only for having been branded one. " is so true. Why else would so many on these boards start slinging the accusation every time somebody shows up who disagrees with them?

Yes, Momo is a past master at trying to discredit the source of things he doesn't like...

True, I'm no fan of the Rev. Moon, the Unification Church, strange cults and their organs.

Which has nothing to do with the content of the articles.

Yes, Momo is a past master at trying to discredit the source of things he doesn't like...

True, I'm no fan of the Rev. Moon, the Unification Church, strange cults and their organs.

Which has nothing to do with the content of the articles.

That's an assumption I'm not prepared to buy. Moon is a extreme right winger and trhe choice of content seems to follow his politics. That and the fact that the paper and website often distort the news, print half truths and post stories that are later debunked means that trhey either have the worst quality journalists working for them or that that the politic of the owner meddles with the content.

Either way, they're read mainly by the tinfoil hat crowd.

When there are two kinds of bias I like to read both. World Net Daily has some clear mistakes, at the same time they make some excellent points that no one else is willing to make. Two liars from opposing groups are each willing to tell the truth when it suits them, and the truths that suit them are decidely different truths.

When it was the Star printing half-truths and distorting the news, M Dancer says "Well but Ruby Dhalla is beautiful, you gotta admit."

:)

When it was the Star printing half-truths and distorting the news, M Dancer says "Well but Ruby Dhalla is beautiful, you gotta admit."

Don't be ridiculous. What for instance were the half truths in the immigration story and how was the news distorted?>

http://www.zionoil.com/wnd.html

On the page, a link for suckers......

And the headline.......

Political website cited for crime of 'offending'

No criminal charges have been laid.....

Wilkins told WND such cases are becoming more common. Recently a fraternal organization was sued when it objected to a homosexual wedding in a building used for rentals

They weren't sued for objecting....they were sued because they rented the hall to a couple, then broke the contract...

In one paragraph....

The government commission, in fact, has lamented the fact that it has jurisdiction only within Canada.

and they back it up with no back up at all.

"It is true that website material … can still be posted on websites and by persons that are beyond the Commission's jurisdiction. This limitation stems from both the nature of the Internet and jurisdictional limits of Canadian law," the commission says. "Nevertheless, a decision under section 13 or a conviction under the hate promotion provisions of the Criminal Code are of great importance in indicating that hate promotion … is not permissible in Canada."

Hmmm. You would think that a qualified journalist would have mentioned the conservatives in the article.
One of the most common surnames in Canada, imbued with religious significance for millions of Sikhs around the world, is now, after yesterday's reversal of a 10-year policy, deemed acceptable by the Canadian government
The New Delhi immigration office is one of the busiest in the world. Immigration Minister Diane Finley refused to comment, but according to statements from the department, the policy asking for a different name was meant to help speed up applications and prevent cases of mistaken identity due to the commonness of Singh.

And this explains among other reason why Ruby......

"If you have to change your name to come here, we have to ask ourselves, `Are we really celebrating all the great things that are hallmarks of this multicultural country?" said Dhalla, whose riding has one of the largest Indo-Canadian populations in the country.

Perhaps if the minister had deemed it worthy to speak......

Hmmm, I don't think the couple who booked the Knights of Columbus hall were ignorant of the fact that what they were doing would have been offesnsive to Catholics. But I don't think they even bothered to inform them. If I booked a hall belonging to an Orthodox Jewish synagogue and decided to roast a pig in there I would expect them to come and give me the boot.

Edited by jefferiah