More Seats in the House

1 MP for every 250,000 would be a good idea in my books. That'd give us about 130 MPs. The problem is that number is so big it causes problems.

Does PEI get one, or half of one?... Actually, other than that it seems like it works out ok...

PEI gets half of one and shares its MP with the Magdalen Islands, or some portion of Nova Scotia, NB or NFLD. To sort out any problems with that, they get a Senator with equal say to the Senator of each other province.

I mean seriously...should PEI even be its own province? The entire thing has a population half that of Windsor, Ontario.

Seems silly to have any more than a single MP, when Windsor has 2.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems silly to have any more than a single MP, when Windsor has 2.

like I said......A lot of the MP's are only there mentally or physically half the time, that's probably why we need more....especially a place like Windsor. The only MP that did anything for that town was Herb Gray, and Chretien fixed him.

If all we ever do is increase parliament, there's going to come a time when there are too many members.

As long as certain provinces are guaranteed a certain number of seats regardless of what percentage they are of the total population, all we can do is increase the size of parliament

Well, common sense says Harper wouldn't do anything to go against his party, but only time will tell. One group I think that should have a seat in Parliament are the First Nation. I figure if Quebec can have the Libs, Cons, NDP and the The Bloc, isn't time the First Nation were represented?? By doing so we could hear what their views are a nd we know they are for Canada and not just one province. IF there's anyone against this idea, then tell me the difference between the Bloc and the First Nation?

isn't time the First Nation were represented?? By doing so we could hear what their views are a nd we know they are for Canada and not just one province. IF there's anyone against this idea, then tell me the difference between the Bloc and the First Nation?
The Bloq plays by the existing rules and gets elected. You are asking that the rules be changed to mandate race based representation in Parliment. This makes it an absurd suggestion.

Well, common sense says Harper wouldn't do anything to go against his party, but only time will tell. One group I think that should have a seat in Parliament are the First Nation. I figure if Quebec can have the Libs, Cons, NDP and the The Bloc, isn't time the First Nation were represented?? By doing so we could hear what their views are a nd we know they are for Canada and not just one province. IF there's anyone against this idea, then tell me the difference between the Bloc and the First Nation?

The Bloc is a political party, First Nations are a people with a certain genetic strain and cultural heritage. Of course, the Quebecois have a certain genetic strain and cultural heritage as well, but the Bloc doesn't represent only Quebecois; though perhaps predominantly supported by those who consider themselves "true blue" (or should I say pure laine?) Quebecois, I'm sure the BQ's support comes from Quebecers of all ethnic and cultural strains. Thus, the BQ is more culturally based than racially, which a completely FN party would be.

Beyond the implicit racism, based on the nation-to-nation relationship between FN and the Crown, I'm not sure how giving FN seats in the House would work.

And here I thought that the members of Parliament for the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut functioned as representatives for native interests, seeing as how, you know, most of their constituents are natives.
Wouldn't the whites from cities near Toronto's size up there swamp the native vote?

I would very much like to see the dynamic of First Nations changed on the political landscape, and changed immediately. That is why the Prime Minister should appoint the Minister of Indian Affairs from a shortlist nominated by the First Nations. Give them a seat at the big table, now. It is time for both sides in this morally destructive, endless cluster***k to put up or shut up.

I often wonder why the governments of Manitoba and Saskatchewan, the two governments eminently able to implement proportional representation in their jurisdictions? This policy is a centerpiece of democratic reform by national and provincial NDP organizations everywhere else- but not in MB and SK. Pure coincidence no doubt.

I would very much like to see the dynamic of First Nations changed on the political landscape, and changed immediately. That is why the Prime Minister should appoint the Minister of Indian Affairs from a shortlist nominated by the First Nations. Give them a seat at the big table, now. It is time for both sides in this morally destructive, endless cluster***k to put up or shut up.

Oooo, I like that idea!!! And the Ministers of Industry, Labour, Trade and Finance will all be elite businessmen pushing their agenda!!!

Your so right!

Let's do it!

Oooo, I like that idea!!! And the Ministers of Industry, Labour, Trade and Finance will all be elite businessmen pushing their agenda!!!

Your so right!

Let's do it!

As long as Sheila gets to look at their books.

As long as Sheila gets to look at their books.

Be able to track the billions that we've squandered on First Nations??! I'd have a job for the next 500 years, tracking down all the big buck salaries of the Chiefs while their people live in poverty.

Only an accountant would say this, but I think more audit power would be step one in pulling FN out of the gutter.

Your so right!

Let's do it!

You have an Interlocutor for Metis and Non-Status Indians already.