Proportional representation

I'm just curious about hearing people's thoughts about proportional representation.

I live in a riding that has been strongly Social Credit/PC/Reform/Alliance/Conservative since the depression. My feeling is that my vote is worthless because the outcome of the election here is a foregone conclusion. Would more people turn out and vote for other parties if their votes actually mattered?

I realize the major drawback is the tendency for minority governments. Is a coalition government a bad idea balanced out with increased participation?

People can be implanted in ridings as it is. Grouped ridings with multiple seats would be fine as a solution with me. Hell, it wouldn't be much worse than what my riding is now. Lanark, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington is pretty big riding as Eastern Ontario ridings go, I think. I don't feel a hell of a lot of connection to the Conservative candidate from Lanark (before the ridings were changed last).

Trouble with rep-by-prop is the tendency to have coalition governments. Parties can make promises secure that they can blame their "coalition partners" when they don't pan out. The defaulting politicians can then ask the voters "how many elections do you want"?

I disagree, if anything it means they have to compromise in order to form government. I don't think the system has failed the voters in Sweden, and I think that would be a good model to look at.
Sweden is a far more homogenous country than Canada. It's not a good comparison.

What can you say about an electoral system that gives fringe parties king maker status and allows crack pots like Hitler to come to power?

But I understand it's appeal for those single digit parties.....

My feeling is that my vote is worthless because the outcome of the election here is a foregone conclusion.

Are you lost ? We are in the NAU. Corporations are writing the laws and courts are beginning to use comunitarian laws. Politicians are just blindly signing the laws.

Proportional voting is for the dis illusioned. Politicians don't represent us at all now. They represent only corporate interests.

If you want proportional voting you will have to first start educating people about the NAU.

I'm just curious about hearing people's thoughts about proportional representation.

I live in a riding that has been strongly Social Credit/PC/Reform/Alliance/Conservative since the depression. My feeling is that my vote is worthless because the outcome of the election here is a foregone conclusion. Would more people turn out and vote for other parties if their votes actually mattered?

I believe all votes matter, even the handfull of votes for the Loopy party.

We vote for the member we want to have represent us in parliament. That is the one and only purpose of a vote.

To get frustrated by the fact that too many other voters think different is pointless. How much power should one voter have? If 1 wouldbe Conservative voter does'nt turn up to cast their vote does it matter? If 1 more Conservative voted would it matter? 1 more Lib?

1 vote means very little - as it should. Its the block of votes that matter. If that block keeps voting Cons then whats that to you? Is your vote meaningless? Is each of thier 1 votes meaningless?

The big party's encourage us all to think that way of course. More votes for them, or less votes for others - either way they win. Don't fall for it, its a scam. But realize that you are only 1 person.

Or you can view elections as horse-races and your vote as a bet....and think you're vote isn't wasted voting for who you don't want or not voting at all and letting the Cons (in you're case) get away with even a larger margin.

Elections in Alberta may change with the arrivals of Ontarians looking for jobs. Perhaps the Libs and the NDP will pick up more seats. I heard between 30,000-100,000 have gone for jobs.

But why would so many Liberal Canadians from the east want to move to Alberta? I mean, we are all rednecks and racists aren't we?

Elections in Alberta may change with the arrivals of Ontarians looking for jobs. Perhaps the Libs and the NDP will pick up more seats. I heard between 30,000-100,000 have gone for jobs.

But why would so many Liberal Canadians from the east want to move to Alberta? I mean, we are all rednecks and racists aren't we?

So were Torontonians till the displaced Montrealers learned them culture and all......