Liberal Shadow Cabinet Announced

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/01/18/...dowcabinet.html

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion announced his shadow cabinet Thursday, appointing David McGuinty as critic for the environment, an issue expected to dominate the next federal election.

Veteran MP Ralph Goodale will remain House leader, while Lucienne Robillard will be deputy House leader.

Other appointments include:

* Critic for finance: John McCallum

* Critic for foreign affairs: Ujjal Dosanjh

* Critic for national defence: Denis Coderre

* Critic for transportation: Joe Volpe

* Critic for immigration: Omar Alghabra

* Critic for natural resources: Mark Holland

* Critic for justice: Marlene Jennings

* Critic for health: Bonnie Brown

* Critic for agriculture: Wayne Easter

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion named his shadow cabinet on Thursday, handing a plum posting to former leadership contender Michael Ignatieff.

Ignatieff, a Toronto MP who was the perceived front-runner for almost the entire Liberal leadership campaign only to lose out to Dion on the final ballot, was named deputy leader.

* John McKay will chair the caucus committee on economic prosperity;

* Ken Dryden will chair the caucus committee on social justice;

* John Godfrey will chair the caucus committee on environmental sustainability;

* Bryon Wilfert will chair the caucus committee on Canada and the world.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/01/18/...dowcabinet.html
Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion announced his shadow cabinet Thursday, appointing David McGuinty as critic for the environment, an issue expected to dominate the next federal election.

Veteran MP Ralph Goodale will remain House leader, while Lucienne Robillard will be deputy House leader.

Other appointments include:

* Critic for finance: John McCallum

* Critic for foreign affairs: Ujjal Dosanjh

* Critic for national defence: Denis Coderre

* Critic for transportation: Joe Volpe

* Critic for immigration: Omar Alghabra

* Critic for natural resources: Mark Holland

* Critic for justice: Marlene Jennings

* Critic for health: Bonnie Brown

* Critic for agriculture: Wayne Easter

Volpe needs to go! He's a serious anchor for the party. The rest were pretty predictable... except maybe Dosanjh. But in hindsight, he's perfect for the position.

If the Liberals won the election and they decided to use this as their cabinet, if I were Gerard Kennedy I'd be severely pissed.

At 53 people in shadow cabinet and committee chairs, we'll see quite a few shuffled off to other areas to make way for stars with the results of an election.

Volpe needs to go! He's a serious anchor for the party. The rest were pretty predictable... except maybe Dosanjh. But in hindsight, he's perfect for the position.

Volpe is a bit of a surprise. In an actual cabinet, he would probably not get the call though.

This shadow cabinet will be a good opportunity to see how certain people perform in new areas though.

Am I the only one who thought the CBC was acting as a PR agent for the federal Liberals in announcing this?

And where is Ken Dryden? Scott Brison? Findlay? Stronach?

Anyway, this is a pure PR exercice. Dion is going to be up to his neck in party affairs for the next year at least. I'd be surprised to see Coderre stick around much longer.

Am I the only one who thought the CBC was acting as a PR agent for the federal Liberals in announcing this?

Anyway, this is a pure PR exercice. Dion is going to be up to his neck in party affairs for the next year at least. I'd be surprised to see Coderre stick around much longer.

Stronach is in Competitiveness and the New Economy

Brison has Industry

Dryden was given a caucus committee chair for Social Justice.

I was watching CTV and they made the announcement fairly prominent in their broadcast. Dion has decided to keep the Liberal party in the forefront of news by making himself available to the media. Harper is not as readily available nor is his cabinet for comment.

http://www.liberal.ca/pdf/docs/070118_liberal_caucus_en.pdf

Dion is restructuring shadow cabinet and caucus in a way different from the past. He has some obvious stars waiting to run in the election but he is giving at least half his caucus an opportunity to show themselves in the House.

http://liberal.ca/news_e.aspx?type=news&id=12179

Yes, they did give it rather favourable coverage.

There are a number of MPs I can't see sticking around for the next election.

Coderre, Volpe, Dryden ....

I guess we all don't bother mentioning it anymore. It's just expected that the CBC will be rooting for the Liberals.

I'm not sure if leaving links is against the rules or not, but this is funny....

http://www.youthforvolpe.ca/

Lol! What a great site! I followed the links too:

"Volpe bills taxpayers almost $7,000 for 31 meals" - ctv.ca

LOL I love that website!

I have to admit...I wish Joe Volpe won the Liberal Leadership Convention. He'd still probably win 100+ seats but then again this is Canada after all.

If the Liberals won the election and they decided to use this as their cabinet, if I were Gerard Kennedy I'd be severely pissed.

Gerard Kennedy has a seat?

Gerard Kennedy is basically a shoe in, Fortier has a cabinet position and he doesn't have a seat...

Uh, yeah but he was made a Senator, the Leader of the Opposition can't appoint Senators.
I guess we all don't bother mentioning it anymore. It's just expected that the CBC will be rooting for the Liberals.
I wonder why with the Conservatives always talking about disbanding it or making it private (funded in Alberta of course)

Is there a Liberal you'd like to see win?

I think Dion should win his seat again. Dryden if he decides to run again. Ralph Goodale. Whoever runs against Jack Layton...

Are there any Conservatives you'd like to see win?

Or are you just here to start sh*t?

Are you defending Mark Holland?