OMG! Arar Compaigning for riches!

When a victim is making the taxpayers of Canada victim, that's where I have a problem with it. In all fairness the guy could have been a white guy from the next town over, and i'd still be mad at him for pulling that. Bravo to Arar for red flagging an injustice. I know you like to stereotype people that don't agree with you on these sort of things as racist, but it's not going to work.

If your going to sue somebody sue the people who actually abused you. Why isn't Arar slamming the Syrian gov't over it's human rights abuses? Why isn't the Canadian gov't making Syria foot the bill? Punish the right people for the crime, the RCMP have been punished (somewhat) why not the torturers themselves?

Last time I checked, Canada IS STILL a democracy. We ELECT our leaders, they run our government and our security services. In a democracy, it is ultimately the voter (citizen) who is responsible for what the government does. The RCMP may be at fault (which is run by Canadians coincidentally) but we also have collective responsibility for allowing such abuse to happen.

I don't "stereotype" people as racist because I well know that if Arar were white Prairie farmer Smith, who ended up being detained by the US and sent overseas for torture because the Americans were falsely told by the RCMP that Smith was planning to blow up something in the US as he was pissed off at them for screwing the Canadian cattle industry, you would be thoroughly outraged and it would have never occurred to you to complain about your dollar!

PS. You should also send your bill to Mulroney for your portion of the $2 M he got for defamation even though 10 years later it still turned out that he took money from Schreiber. With interest, he should owe you 20 cents by now.

And how about billions of tax dollars going to the tainted blood HIV, HEP C victims? You didn't give them tainted blood, did you? Or how about billions going to vets? I wasn't even born when they fought in WWII. Or the current soldiers and the families of those killed in Afghanistan. I didn't force them to join the army. Did you? Let's leave them without compensation because the Taliban is killing them, we aren't. They should get their compensation from the Taliban. You aren't complaining about the hundreds of dollars this kind of compensation is costing you but this is the 10th topic maniac MD has started about Arar this week and everyone is going on and on and on about their 1$ and Arar hasn't got a penny yet!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a victim is making the taxpayers of Canada victim, that's where I have a problem with it. In all fairness the guy could have been a white guy from the next town over, and i'd still be mad at him for pulling that. Bravo to Arar for red flagging an injustice. I know you like to stereotype people that don't agree with you on these sort of things as racist, but it's not going to work.

If your going to sue somebody sue the people who actually abused you. Why isn't Arar slamming the Syrian gov't over it's human rights abuses? Why isn't the Canadian gov't making Syria foot the bill? Punish the right people for the crime, the RCMP have been punished (somewhat) why not the torturers themselves?

Last time I checked, Canada IS STILL a democracy. We ELECT our leaders, they run our government and our security services. In a democracy, it is ultimately the voter (citizen) who is responsible for what the government does. The RCMP may be at fault (which is run by Canadians coincidentally) but we also have collective responsibility for allowing such abuse to happen.

I don't "stereotype" people as racist because I well know that if Arar were white Prairie farmer Smith, who ended up being detained by the US and sent overseas for torture because the Americans were falsely told by the RCMP that Smith was planning to blow up something in the US as he was pissed off at them screwing the Canadian cattle industry, you would be thoroughly outraged and it would have never occurred to you to complain about your dollar!

Are our leaders puppets? Do they dance when we say dance? No they're people of their own as is the RCMP. RCMP got "punished" (in my view zaccardeli got off light with a big severance package and no dishonorable discharge) Saying the Canadian taxpayer is responsible for this is passing the buck. The Syrians are responsible, make them pay.

If "Smith" were deported for torture, i'd be upset at the fact he'd be getting tortured (as I am with Arar) and i'd be upset that I'd have to pay his compensation. If he was planning to blow something up at the US for them screwing us with cattle i'd slap him in the head as everyone knows that's not how you go about fixing a problem like that.

You should also send your bill to Mulroney for your portion of the $2 M he got for defamation even though 10 years later it still turned out that he took money from Schreiber. With interest, he should owe you 20 cents by now.

And how about billions of tax dollars going to the tainted blood HIV, HEP C victims? You didn't give them tainted blood, did you? Or how about billions going to vets? I wasn't even born when they fought in WWII. Or the current soldiers and the families of those killed in Afghanistan. I didn't force them to join the army. Did you? Let's leave them without compensation because the Taliban is killing them, we aren't. They should get their compensation from the Taliban. You aren't complaining about the hundreds of dollars this kind of compensation is costing you but this is the 10th topic maniac MD has started about Arar this week and everyone is going on and on and on about their 1$ and Arar hasn't got a penny yet!

If "Smith" were deported for torture, i'd be upset at the fact he'd be getting tortured (as I am with Arar) and i'd be upset that I'd have to pay his compensation. If he was planning to blow something up at the US for them screwing us with cattle i'd slap him in the head as everyone knows that's not how you go about fixing a problem like that.

You have no evidence that he was planning to blow up anything. In fact, a long inquiry determined that the RCMP had no evidence to claim that either. The RCMP got punished? I haven't seen anyone get punished for anything yet. Anyone who was involved in sending Arar overseas and anyone who was involved in the cover-up, the lying and the false leaks, etc. deserves not only a big slap on the head but also a discharge, a fine and a 100 days community service.

You should also send your bill to Mulroney for your portion of the $2 M he got for defamation even though 10 years later it still turned out that he took money from Schreiber. With interest, he should owe you 20 cents by now.

The soldiers get workplace compensation and retirement just like any other government job and I don't think they put on a production like Mr. Arar. They aren't greedy with their compensation like Mr. Arar, I haven't seen a soldier go to court saying "I stepped on a mine, I'm intitled to millions of dollars" I don't think he is, that's the danger of his job, that's like saying i'm entitled to millions of dollars for grabbing a PTO shaft on Canadian soil, the gov't owes me millions, and I bet you wouldn't be wanting to foot the bill for that. They get their compensation which their work gives them and they are on their way, I don't have a problem with that. with the tainted blood thing, I hate to say this but I didn't give them tainted blood... I don't know if they went to court or not, but if the government offered them comp. then its all right and they should be first in line for health care, but they are not demanding millions of dollars apiece neither, if the Hep C victims pulled a Mr. Arar asking for all sorts of money I'd be mad for the same reason. It's unfortunate yes, but it's not the nation of Canada's fault. No amount of money is going to make Hep C and Aids go away, in my view all we owe them is front line in Health Care and if there is a cure they should be the first to get it and for free.

I'll take my 20 cents from Mulrouney thank you very much.

I haven't seen anyone get punished for anything yet. Anyone who was involved in sending Arar overseas and anyone who was involved in the cover-up, the lying and the false leaks, etc. deserves not only a big slap on the head but also a discharge, a fine and a 100 days community service.

Agreed, Internal Affairs needs to go through and gut the RCMP for this. A Dishonorable discharge, a fine, and it appearing on the permanent record, a public apology, and 365 days community service. Usually the RCMP is pretty good about punishing officers who mess up. The responsible officers shouldn't have a "black eye" because there are some bad eggs.

Last time I checked, Canada IS STILL a democracy.

Canada does not meet the definition of a democrocy unless every person votes. Also there are questionable representation of power that do not represent what the people voted for.

Canada does not meet the definition of a democracy in it's current state. It's not only me who thinks this. Liberal Senator Mac Harb (who my mother went on a date with back in ottawa when I was a kid) agrees that right now Canada is not being represented fairly or democratically. He and other senators believe in manditory voting.

We ELECT our leaders, they run our government and our security services. In a democracy, it is ultimately the voter (citizen) who is responsible for what the government does. The RCMP may be at fault (which is run by Canadians coincidentally) but we also have collective responsibility for allowing such abuse to happen.

Ideoligy.

That above statement is like saying 'if you walk more often, you will loose weight'. That's ideological, not necessarily factual.

2 + 2 = 4. That is factual.

If 450,000 voters vote for a Toronto mayor, out of 1 million voters, and half of those voters are people work for the city and have a vested interest in making sure their union gets treated well, then a special interst is controlling the vote and not everyone is voting which does not meet the definition of democracy. This is factual - not idealogical.

PS. You should also send your bill to Mulroney for your portion of the $2 M he got for defamation even though 10 years later it still turned out that he took money from Schreiber. With interest, he should owe you 20 cents by now.

I hate Mulrouny. Him and Trudeau both ruined the country. Trudeau much of course, but Mulrouney... I JUST HATE HIM!

And how about billions of tax dollars going to the tainted blood HIV, HEP C victims? You didn't give them tainted blood, did you?

They deserve compensation, they did NOT get $37,000,000 each. For the longest time they got NOTHING.

Canada does not meet the definition of a democrocy unless every person votes. Also there are questionable representation of power that do not represent what the people voted for.

Canada does not meet the definition of a democracy in it's current state. It's not only me who thinks this. Liberal Senator Mac Harb (who my mother went on a date with back in ottawa when I was a kid) agrees that right now Canada is not being represented fairly or democratically. He and other senators believe in manditory voting.

MikeDavid00, usually I agree with you but this is veering on the "self-hatred" you decry in other posts. Canada is a great and wonderful nation, with a few blemishes. My country, which I love dearly, is also not perfect.

Most democracies (except Australia, which I hear executes non-voters) have low turnout rates, because in general people are satisfied. The peole in most of the countries that speak English have it quite good. That's why even hard-working people want to come here.

I think that Canada meets most of the essential characteristics of what is termed a democracy (obviously not literal direct democracy). Government can be changed peacefully and legally, there is a high degree of speech and religious freedom, etc.

Arar doesnt seem to be after getting the truth out or retribution. All these things have a huge price tag on them. 37 million here. He just wants cash. If the money is not retribution for actual physical damages then it is psychological. Psychological and emotional needs are not tangible like cash. 37 million doesnt heal emotional problems. It does help to satisfy greed. If a guy wants retribution why does he need 37 million.

I don't "stereotype" people as racist because I well know that if Arar were white Prairie farmer Smith, who ended up being detained by the US and sent overseas for torture because the Americans were falsely told by the RCMP that Smith was planning to blow up something in the US as he was pissed off at them for screwing the Canadian cattle industry, you would be thoroughly outraged and it would have never occurred to you to complain about your dollar!

Well it seems that all this happened when the Liberals were in Saturn. Not to mention the sponsorship scandal as well. So maybe Liberal voters should foot the bill. :)

Well it seems that all this happened when the Liberals were in Saturn. Not to mention the sponsorship scandal as well. So maybe Liberal voters should foot the bill. :)

Saturn that is a huge assumption on your part that we would have a different attitude if the guy was white. You dont know that at all. And it is untrue. Personally I think alot of multi-million dollar suits are whacked. And I don't soften that position just because a guy happens to come from a minority. The RCMP were researching these guys and became suspicious of Arar because he had contact with people they knew were involved in Al Qaeda activity. So they told their cronies across the border we dont trust this guy. Why did they share information with the US. Well a big part of it is that this whole thing has to do with the US in the first place. You can argue that it was careless of the police or improper. O'Connor has found that it was. Well does improper procedure warrant 37 million dollars. People will say well it lead to him being tortured. But did they know it would lead to it. Was it reckless endangerment of Arar. I think not. All the police did was share information. Probably because they figured it was vital. And to all intents and purposes the American authorities still consider it vital it seems. They didnt know he was going to be arrested or deported or tortured. Their only crime is the fact that they shared information. They had no way of knowing what would result. Suppose if we found out that some neighbour of Arar's reported him to the police before he got on the watch list. I suppose he also owes Arar money, because it lead to his being deported.

[

That above statement is like saying 'if you walk more often, you will loose weight'. That's ideological, not necessarily factual.

2 + 2 = 4. That is factual.

If 450,000 voters vote for a Toronto mayor, out of 1 million voters, and half of those voters are people work for the city and have a vested interest in making sure their union gets treated well, then a special interst is controlling the vote and not everyone is voting which does not meet the definition of democracy. This is factual - not idealogical.

Here is a novel idea mikedavid. Shut up , if for no other reason than YOU DID NOT vote. In your world there is not a democracy because YOU didnt vote . Got that ? You did not vote. Let me say again, you did not vote.

So if 450G out of 1M get off their ass and vote, the results are invalid? Factual , something you wouldnt know if it jumped up and grabbed your face.

You contradict yourself with each post , well other than your standard rant about immigrants have ruined this country. Tell ya what, since you are an immigrant.....leave.

MikeDavid00, usually I agree with you but this is veering on the "self-hatred" you decry in other posts. Canada is a great and wonderful nation, with a few blemishes. My country, which I love dearly, is also not perfect.

A county which does not look after the safety of its own citizens is not a great country. If you need a liver, you can very well die on waiting list. Same with a surgery.

As long as Canadians citizens die on waiting lists and denies the right for poeple to persue alternative healthcare, then I do not consider this a great country.

Most democracies (except Australia, which I hear executes non-voters) have low turnout rates, because in general people are satisfied.
T

That is not necessarily true. I did not vote and am not satisified. I didn't vote because in the riding I live in, there is no point in voting. Same for my brother and people at work. We know we don't have a say. Idealism aside, the facts are some of us aren't living in functional ridings.

The peole in most of the countries that speak English have it quite good. That's why even hard-working people want to come here.

People come here becuase it's easy to get in here. Fact. The minority of people that come here find work within the first the first 2 years of being here. Fact.

Canada is about 50% English speaking. Fact.

I think that Canada meets most of the essential characteristics of what is termed a democracy

I agree.

(obviously not literal direct democracy).

Bingo. So we're not as democratic as we could be. More democrocy should be encouraged.

Government can be changed peacefully and legally, there is a high degree of speech and religious freedom, etc.

I disagree. You can say the same about any non functioning parliment.

A county which does not look after the safety of its own citizens is not a great country. If you need a liver, you can very well die on waiting list. Same with a surgery.

As long as Canadians citizens die on waiting lists and denies the right for poeple to persue alternative healthcare, then I do not consider this a great country.

But a country that is complicit in the deportation and torture of one of their own is A-OK by you.

Weird.

Ok, Liberal voters can foot the bill. Then Conservative voters can pay the $5 billion for the Afghan war, and the $15 B for military equipment and all the rest.

Ok, Liberal voters can foot the bill. Then Conservative voters can pay the $5 billion for the Afghan war, and the $15 B for military equipment and all the rest.

Whoah there, the Libs sent us there in the first place, and someone said that they were going to upgrade military equipment under the Martin gov't, but I forget who said that, shoot.