All Debit Crass Canada Down

jdobbin

I saw a guy today try to kill a 7-Eleven clerk because he couldn't buy some smokes with his debit.

Does anyone carry cash anymore?

Er, that should read "cross" Canada. <heh>

Debit machines are supposedly down across the country. Maybe the greens have hacked them down to support their don't buy day or what ever it is they call it.

I saw a guy today try to kill a 7-Eleven clerk because he couldn't buy some smokes with his debit.

Debit machines are supposedly down across the country. Maybe the greens have hacked them down to support their don't buy day or what ever it is they call it.

Some people are saying that it might be an cross over effect from the States and "Black Friday." I have no idea. No spokesman has mentioned what is happening.

RBC in particular are having problems with debit machines. Black Friday is the U.S. biggest shopping day, bigger than Boxing day (here that is they don't have a 'boxing day') The U.S. Thanksgiving sales are bigger than Christmas. Just an overload on the systems.

Dang....that second bottle of Cabernet Savignon is affecting my typing skills or lack there of LOL used to be 100 WPM not anymore.

RBC in particular are having problems with debit machines. Black Friday is the U.S. biggest shopping day, bigger than Boxing day (here that is they don't have a 'boxing day') The U.S. Thanksgiving sales are bigger than Christmas. Just an overload on the systems.

Dang....that second bottle of Cabernet Savignon is affecting my typing skills or lack there of LOL used to be 100 WPM not anymore.

Hmm, RBC has big operations in the States. Is their computer system linked to the U.S. or is this a made in Canada problem?

Rarely. However, the electrical power outage from three years ago should have taught us a lesson: carry currency all of the time.

[if there is ever a run on the banks, we will be a lot more vulnerable.]

Got to Costco and it was cash or cheque.
I hope they clearly indicated that at the entrance before you waited in line like a herd of cattle.

I have a real big problem with retailers who advertize their plastic card services with stickers on the window but then say "system is down" when you get to the register.

CAVEAT TROLLUM: Ignore the rest unless you have a sense of humor.

Aktchually, I woood say it shold reed "across" its ted.

Typos and spelling errors are a sign of typing too fast without being careful or being too eager to fire off a new thread.

Careful. From what I gather, that sounds like a precursor for downhill-posting-eventual-banning....

First we need spam filters, now we need a breathalizer login function too????

Dear Charles Anthony,

First we need spam filters, now we need a breathalizer login function too????
Half of the posters here would fail...(including me!) Mind you, this country would grind to a halt if our politicians were tested before 'question period' in the house...
Rarely. However, the electrical power outage from three years ago should have taught us a lesson: carry currency all of the time.

[if there is ever a run on the banks, we will be a lot more vulnerable.]

Good point, 'cash is king'. I was in a gas station a while ago, and one customer (an uppity conservative type) was impeded by a troublesome register. The clerk said "I hate these things, damn electronics", and the man replied "Well, we are moving towards a cashless society". Behind him in line, a grubby lady with 3 teeth, clutching a crumpled $10 bill with which she was to buy smokes, said "I don't even have a debit card, I always use cash. It never gives me problems."

I don't believe cash will ever be 'replaced', there are too many uses for it. Garage sales, second hand goods and personal loans to buddies would end without cash.

The man at the gas station seeemed to me to be one of those types who though crime would end tomorrow if the black-market/drug trade couldn't do business in cash.

I once got a very good deal on a new stereo set with cash from a store. I walked in at about 10 min before closing, and had picked out a nice JVC set, but it only had a single cd player, and I wanted a 6 disc changer. (This was back in the day when CDs were new, the unit I bought still came with a turntable) I said to the guy, "What kind of a deal can I get if I pay cash?" He asked, "Cash? Like, right now cash?" I said yes, so he exchanged the cd changer for me, and gave me a certain percentage (I don't remember how much) off of the entire package. I paid $2000 for about $2500 worth of stuff, and it was the first time I had ever had (and quickly spent) a $1,000 dollar bill.

My son wanted to buy a good stereo system this was a few years ago. He had the cash, we went into famous, well advertized store, and they wouldn't give him the time of day.

So we went down town to a business that had been there for many years, the older gentleman took a lot of time with my son, he paid cash for the machine. He learned a good lesson.

Aktchually, I woood say it shold reed "across" its ted.

Typos and spelling errors are a sign of typing too fast without being careful or being too eager to fire off a new thread.

I accept the typo but cross is used as a synonym for across. As in CBC Radio's "Cross Canada Check-up".

They both can be a definition of traversing.

My son wanted to buy a good stereo system this was a few years ago. He had the cash, we went into famous, well advertized store, and they wouldn't give him the time of day.

So we went down town to a business that had been there for many years, the older gentleman took a lot of time with my son, he paid cash for the machine. He learned a good lesson.

Ah the free market at it's finest. See margrace, it does work. People don't mind paying for quality and service.

If your talking Future Shop, I wouldn't be surpised. I have no problem calling them out as the idiots they are. It seems at times, despite them being commission salespeople, they don't want to sell you anything.

I used my debit card at 4:30 pm to pay for gas and I also used it at the bank to take out cash. I had not problems with either of these transactions. I deal with the Scotia Bank. There did not seem to be a problem att eh gas station as many others were there also using their cards as well. Now I must also say we live in a small community and the Scotia Bank is the only bank there, so it it more then possible that all the people used Scotia Cards, for paying. I heard on the news that it was the RBC tnhat was having the problems, but I must admit I was only half listening while driving.