point and click - Whoa! ten pounds off

RB

Digital cameras with "slimming" effects are gaining popularity as the holiday shopping season approaches, retailers say.

"They've introduced a feature that will take your subject in the centre, and they'll compress it while stretching the sides," said Chris Deyoe, a sales associate with Best Buy in Winnipeg.

"So when you've taken a picture of a person or whatnot, basically you can subtract the 10 pounds that the camera adds."

Also called the "pointy head" feature because it can elongate the subject's head as well as the entire body, the slimming artistic effect........

Well apparently, the folks are narcissistic - they like to look good when they "pose" for the camera. Nowadays with the digital camera, they can delete and repose for the proper picture. Plus the fuss about seeing the shot immediately.

so firstly, with regards to this slimming effect camera would the already thin folks disappear, and how about the those with weight issues?

i mean it is feel good and all that you can construct the person you wish to be, longer head, slimmer body instantly and send it off to someone, or get it printed, but isn't this creating some more body and social issues.

It's implying that lots of people are not comfortable with their image anymore.

Great. As if there weren't enough body myths being passed along out there, we can now do our own airbrushing or nips and tucks right on our digital cameras. Here's a great video from Dove that shows how reality evolves into what we see on billboards...

Melanie, we discussed that video here in case you're interested.

---

As to this camera feature, I figure that it's a bit like the mirrors in an arcade and spellcheck in Word. So I can also see the potential. Aside from red-eye, someone is bound to write the software for eliminating wrinkles, facial blemishes, removing/adding hair, whitening teeth, lightening/darkening skin tones.

Then, as we look at the posed yellowed photos of our ancestors wearing their Sunday best, staring straight at the camera, people in 2106 will look at the strange digitally-doctored photos of us and say: "People did that then. They thought it made them look better."

Great. As if there weren't enough body myths being passed along out there, we can now do our own airbrushing or nips and tucks right on our digital cameras. Here's a great video from Dove that shows how reality evolves into what we see on billboards...

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/

The dove folks do say that only 2% of people think they are beautiful.

Maybe this explains the low self-esteem of people. I mean count the many times you:

- wish to be thinner

- feel like a failure

- doubted your looks - either too fat, tall, short,

- doubted your abilities

- listen to troubles of others and felt really good

- compare yourself to others - and don't measure up

- call yourself a failure

Dove is marketing a product, the altered woman is our current culture. And, well, what do you know, she still ends up on a billboard, then the masses get to compare and measure statistics at that point.

But, I can compliment a good music when I hear it - the music beat was constant in the video and the piano at the end excellent