Elton John denounces organized religion

I think Jewish religion, and some others do not look for converts.

You are quite correct. That was the subject of discussion in synagogue a few Saturdays ago.

It was a pretty good Seinfeld episode too.

And your point in that pointless remark?

I like the Hats. :lol:

That was conversion to Judaism on Seinfeld. That was Latvian Orthodox Christianity.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are making too much nonsense about religion now. This is not the Crusades or the Inquisition. Yet the opponents of religion seem to think it is. I do not belong to any organized church. I am a Christian though. But I have disagreements with organized churches on some issues. However, most people I know who belong to these religions are pretty good people. I don't see them giving me a problem over anything. Alot of Christian web sites I have checked out and books I have read do not promote hatred against homosexuals. They make a definite statement about it being sinful, but most of these writers encourage people to be patient and merciful and hope that they will change. There are many people out there who may be cruel to homosexuals. I know a lot of atheists who use the "F*****" word to describe them. But the religious people do not encourage that at all. Really the way people complain about the establishment and government and religion over tiny little things, seeking injustice in every word uttered by the "man" is getting ridiculous. I am not a Bush fan myself. But I was in a political chat room the day after the democrats won big in the house and senate. People in there were saying "Woo Hoo the fascist regime is fallen." Fascist! C'mon. I would like to see these people survive for five minutes in a real fascist country. They would whine themselves to death before they could be killed for dissent. Elton John is gay. He is openly gay. No one can stop him from being gay. I dont think he is having any problem from society. And he can parade around and display his gay pride if he wants. Really how is religion affecting his life so deeply. Are bishops donning uniforms and black army boots and raiding the homes of Elton John and other homosexuals dragging them out to be publically beaten? You would think he was in Nazi Germany the way he is complaining. Its not enough for some people to have their lifestyles legalized and to be able to display it. No they must silence all the people who speak out against them, who dont agree with them. Hmm....this sounds more like Fascism to me.

You are quite correct. That was the subject of discussion in synagogue a few Saturdays ago.

That was conversion to Judaism on Seinfeld. That was Latvian Orthodox Christianity.

Wasn't* conversion to Judaism...sorry

How is homosexuals wanting to ban religion different from religions who want to ban homosexuality?

Great point.

Not that I agree with it (even though I fall underJerrySeinfeld's oft-repeated, overly generalized term "lefty"), but the difference is simple. Some homosexuals might want to ban religion because it is generally comprised of organizations that plot to defame and discriminate against them. Homosexuals, on the contrary, do not by definition plot to defame religion. One actively promotes hatred against the other. That's the difference. (Again, I don't agree. I'm just stating the difference because Seinfeld often has problems with "nuance.")

I don't think it is fair to say that organized religion in general promotes hatred against homosexuals. Some do, others just don't approve of it as a lifestyle and still others are quite accepting. While I can appreciate his animosity toward some in the religious community, I think it ironic that a gay person would promote banning a certain point of view or lifestyle. Him of all people and not a road you want to start down.

Wasn't* conversion to Judaism...sorry

Eh who cares.