CBC Anti Conservative Spin

Amusing:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/11/02/...ay-lebanon.html

Is the above real journalism? Or is it just an anti Harper spin? You be the judge.

"You would get the same kind of chaos at a shopping mall at Christmas near closing time or at an airport during a snowstorm," he told a Senate committee on Wednesday evening.

Be it resolved.....MacKay is an idiot

I hate how these guys make light of a massive waste of taxpayer money to evacuate non-Canadians, just so they can move back to Lebanon. 66 million that could have been tax cuts or program spending (depending on your view).

Introducing the new Liberal Conservative Party of Eastern Canada (LPCEC). Funny, I don't remember them being on the last federal ballot.

Geez. Does anybody actually believe MacKay was trying to equate the invasion to Lebanon to Christmas shopping?

I think it's pretty obvious that MacKay was trying to illustrate the difficulty of moving a large number of people in a rush circumstance using a familiar example.

I imagine that if MacKay had used a chicken farm at feeding time to illustrate the chaos, the headline would probably read MacKay calls Lebanese Canadians "Chickens"

Stupid headline.

-k

Geez. Does anybody actually believe MacKay was trying to equate the invasion to Lebanon to Christmas shopping?

I think it's pretty obvious that MacKay was trying to illustrate the difficulty of moving a large number of people in a rush circumstance using a familiar example.

I imagine that if MacKay had used a chicken farm at feeding time to illustrate the chaos, the headline would probably read MacKay calls Lebanese Canadians "Chickens"

Stupid headline.

-k

I imagine MacKay is stupid enough to use a chicken farm as a hamfisted analogy......no, i guess using a bottle neck analogy, or just simple plain language about the workings of logists would have been over Mr Fudd's son's head.....

I imagine MacKay is stupid enough to use a chicken farm as a hamfisted analogy......no, i guess using a bottle neck analogy, or just simple plain language about the workings of logists would have been over Mr Fudd's son's head.....

INSULTS

Insults are the ammunition of the unintelligent - do not use them. It is okay to criticize a policy, decision, action or comment. Such criticism is part of healthy debate. It is not okay to criticize a person's character or directly insult them, regardless of their position or actions. Derogatory terms such as "loser", "idiot", etc are not permitted unless the context clearly implies that it is not serious. Rule of thumb: Play the ball, not the person (i.e. tackle the argument, not the person making it).

People who have a history of antagonistic behaviour will be treated more harshly than those who do not.

Insults levelled at third-parties (companies, political parties, nationalities) are also forbidden in the forums.

--

Thank you for your future attempts at raising the IQ level of the discourse here. :D

Stupid headline.

-k

What is your opinion of the CBC putting out a headline like they did? I didn't see this anywhere else except the CBC.

I don't see spin there, he made the comparison... didn't he?

But it's not a valid news story because of hte lack of public outrage. The CBC created this story in an attempt to MAKE a story.

For instance,

I was watching CPAC yesterday. The liberal party were in the house of commons singing 'Oh Canada'. Navdeep Bains was mumbling along and didn't know the words to 'Oh Canada'.

Now that is a news worthy story.

However, if I was an editor in chief of a news organization, I would NOT choose the run the story becuase that would be spinning and creating news.

Now unless there was public outcry or several calls or letters, THEN it would be on the front page and the nation can debate how we could have an member of parliment who doesn't know the words of 'Oh Canada'.

Yeah definitely it is a biased headline. I mean I dont know whether it was intentional or not. But yeah. I think we all know what McKay meant. This is the danger in making a comparison between things now when the two things have one common feature, but drastic differences in other respects. People will leap all over you. He used Christmas shopping as an illustration of something leading to crowds and confusion. Its something I think puts it into perspective for Canadians. I dont think he is expecting anyone to believe the situation in Lebanon is like Christmas. Lol. And I think, you know, most people have the brains to understand what he meant. Anyways yeah, you know putting the comparison in the headline. It seems they are giving great importance to something that happens to have a "let them eat cake" style ring to it. But I think it could have been a mistake, or even an attempt at humor. But yeah if the reporter was implying McKay thinks Lebanon is like a mall at Christmas, its definitely propaganda.

I don't see spin there, he made the comparison... didn't he?

But it's not a valid news story because of hte lack of public outrage. The CBC created this story in an attempt to MAKE a story.

Wow! We rarely see someone so biased that a simple and accurate report of a minister's actual statement causes him to whine like that. You exceed all prior absurdity.

The liberal party

It's the Liberal party. Correct usage will (help) alleviate your appearance of being uninformed or ignorant.

Is the above real journalism? Or is it just an anti Harper spin? You be the judge.

Did you read the article? Because it seemed pretty benign. It just talks about the Senate Committee that is looking into what went right and what went wrong with the evacuation. It brings up some of the accusations made and some of MacKay's responses. The substance of it seems balanced.

Could the headline have been more neutral? Sure, it could have been something bland like "MacKay Testifies Before Senate Committee". Clearly the headline was meant to get people reading the story. And the first two paragraphs put the headline into context so that it doesn't even seem that bad of a statement. Are we really so oversensitive that we have to see bias hiding in every article? Complaining about stuff like this just means that when a truly biased piece comes out no one will be listening to you.

To say that something is not a valid news story without public outrage is a bit ridiculous. I mean, if people had to be upset about something before it was reported on, then we would never have any news. You can't be upset about something if you don't know that it is happening. The news media is supposed to report on events.

This was a report about what MacKay said to the Senate Committee. Reporting on that is perfectly valid. This is part of what news organizations should be doing (i.e. reporting on what the government is up to).

Just because you don't think it's a big deal, or just because you don't want to see something in the news, does not mean that it is automatically a biased article.

I understand what McKay was trying to saying about the people at Xmas time, I, also understood his meaning when someone asked him about his dog and he replied"YOU HAVE HER!" The more I watch this government the more I don't like it. The most important reason is THEY NEVER ANSWER A QUESTION!!!! They have appointed Baird the "court jester" to make fun of the oppositions. They AVOID at all cost to give a direct answer and turn it around to the person who asked. This is what our tax dollars are paying for...the comedy channel!!!!

Another bizarre anti-CBC topic.

I wouldn't mind so much if they made sense. Complaining about bias over this story title is beyind ridiculous.

What is the big deal?

You can't say anything to actually criticize the thread other than calling it 'beyind ridiculous'.

Good work...

:lol: And all you have to add is 'Good work...'. Now that's beyond ridiculous.