Saskatchewan cutting Provincial Sales Tax

Rovik

Sask. government cuts provincial Sales tax

Look like Saskatchewan is cutting the PST from 7% to 5%.

If you have listened to Conservatives (and a few Liberals as well,) this would be considered an impossible scenario. Considering their past crys of "NDP will never lower taxes, only increase them," it must be pretty

disheartening to them to see how wrong they are.

Of course, many of them also used this as a scare tactic to scare away voters from the NDP. Hopefully now, people will see through these such inaccurate claims in the future.

That's playing with fire, there is a large portion of the people of Saskatchewan that are free loaders, with an NDP government they are not going to ever have as good an infrastructure to exploit their fossil fuel reserves. Even so, its not permanent. I feel sorry for the average joes that have to support this, maybe with most of their schools shutting down and hospitals closing they have some extra money to play with. I guess they figure that their shitty roads don't need fixing too.

If you have listened to Conservatives (and a few Liberals as well,) this would be considered an impossible scenario. Considering their past crys of "NDP will never lower taxes, only increase them," it must be pretty

Of course, many of them also used this as a scare tactic to scare away voters from the NDP. Hopefully now, people will see through these such inaccurate claims in the future.

Nobody had to use scare tactics against the ndp. They can take credit for being scary all by themselves. Lets not forget they are the ones who also raised the taxes. Saskatchewan was a province who's biggest export was its people and it was only a matter of time that the last one to leave please turn out the light.

Nobody had to use scare tactics against the ndp. They can take credit for being scary all by themselves. Lets not forget they are the ones who also raised the taxes.

All provinces (except Alberta), regardless of politcal stripes have raised taxes over the years. Sask. now has the second lowest sales tax in the country (not too chabby.)

Saskatchewan was a province who's biggest export was its people and it was only a matter of time that the last one to leave please turn out the light.

Funny, the exact same thing has been said about Newfoundland and the other Atlantic provinces over the years and guess what...there has never been a NDP provincial govt. in Atlantic Canada, though lots of Liberal and Conservative govts.

All provinces (except Alberta), regardless of politcal stripes have raised taxes over the years. Sask. now has the second lowest sales tax in the country (not too chabby.)

One step ahead and two back. Only two years ago they raise their sales tax one point.

Funny, the exact same thing has been said about Newfoundland and the other Atlantic provinces over the years and guess what...there has never been a NDP provincial govt. in Atlantic Canada, though lots of Liberal and Conservative govts.

There is no comparison between Newfoundland and Sask. For years Sask. has been the author of their own problems. With their own oil, logging and mining they continued to flounder while at the same time right next door Alberta continued to grow.

There is no comparison between Newfoundland and Sask. For years Sask. has been the author of their own problems. With their own oil, logging and mining they continued to flounder while at the same time right next door Alberta continued to grow.

I dunno, Newfoundland has oil, fishery, mining, logging and paper mills but much was mismanaged by either the Federal govt and/or Provincal govts.

So are Sask.'s problems stemming back to Grant Devine's Conservative govt.?

Didn't the Federal NDP campaign against cutting the GST saying tax cuts would better help the working poor???

They didn't like the trade-off that the Conservatives were proposing (and as far as I know will go into effect) which was to have the GST tax cut but in addition, raise the income tax on the lowest tax bracket. They figured that the income tax cut (which the Liberals brought in) brought higher savings then the GST cut.

I realize that "which cut is better" has been debated to death here, so I won't delve into that.

I think it would have been more helpful to reduce the income tax but that's just me.

They didn't like the trade-off that the Conservatives were proposing (and as far as I know will go into effect) which was to have the GST tax cut but in addition, raise the income tax on the lowest tax bracket. They figured that the income tax cut (which the Liberals brought in) brought higher savings then the GST cut.

I realize that "which cut is better" has been debated to death here, so I won't delve into that.

Not entirely accurate.

Do remember the Liberals were the only one's using that line. The NDP opposed it flat out...