He said, She said, They said

Argus

But the Liberals are making a serious mistake here. They're playing the man, not the ball. The Democrats in the US have made the same mistake too.

I think they are sorely misguided on how much this is going to *help* them.

Can anybody provide a scenario of even ONE female voter who supported the Conservatives in January who will switch their votes to the Liberals over this issue? If they voted Conservative they are either indifferent or leaning towards Peter MacKay over the ongoing spat between him and Belinda. This is a tempest in a teapot. The only women outraged by this are the one's who woud never vote Conservative anyways....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all I'm really glad this has happened. More women's votes for the Liberals comin' atcha! :lol:
There's no doubt that Belinda Stronach and are others are milking this incident for all its worth. Like many moral pronouncements, they hide self-interest behind a so-called higher good. They're probably as surprised as anyone on how much mileage they're getting.

But the Liberals are making a serious mistake here. They're playing the man, not the ball. The Democrats in the US have made the same mistake too.

The scary, scary, extremist Harper meme doesn't work.

This isn't about Harpers extremism or lack thereof.

It's about the attitude of conservatives toward women. The lack of respect is appalling and Canadian women will vote accordingly.

It's about the attitude of conservatives toward women. The lack of respect is appalling and Canadian women will vote accordingly.

Drea, just in case you missed the question. Since you said that "Canadian women" will vote accordingly. Can you provide a scenario of even ONE female voter who supported the Conservatives in January who will switch their votes to the Liberals over this issue? If they voted Conservative they are either indifferent or leaning towards Peter MacKay over the ongoing spat between him and Belinda. This is a tempest in a teapot. The only women outraged by this are the one's who woud never vote Conservative anyways....

The Conservatives are playing this game with the Liberals are anti-Israel spiel. Welcome to fear factor.

No, its about character assassination. The Liberals are trying to suggest that the Conservatives are human failures.

But here's a slightly different example of the same thing.

How many ways can you say, "It's not true"? Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Social Development, denied media reports the government plans on privatizing the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation. Under attack by Liberal MP Judy Sgro, Ms. Finley stated flatly that the "reports ... are simply untrue, false, erroneous, inaccurate and downright wrong."

That wasn't good enough for Ms. Sgro, who insisted the reported plan was a "travesty." Ms. Finley replied -- again -- that the news reports were "unfounded, baseless, and do not even merit discussion because they are not on the agenda."

In came Liberal Marlene Jennings with more hand-wringing. Ms. Finley responded: "Mr. Speaker, we are not planning any privatization of CMHC. I repeat, we are not planning any privatization of CMHC."

After more bickering, Mr. Harper had this kicker: "Mr. Speaker, I guess all I can say is, if after a week of scouring the country listening to Canadians, the best they can come up with are four questions on a rumour that is utterly false, this government must be doing a pretty good job."

National Post

I think women (and men) will ultimately decide how to vote based on a few very serious issues such as the credibility of a party to accomplish what it promises, the size of government, the environment, gun control and Afghanistan.

In the big scheme of things, saying that Peter Mackay is a high school bully is not a winning strategy.

Drea, just in case you missed the question. Since you said that "Canadian women" will vote accordingly. Can you provide a scenario of even ONE female voter who supported the Conservatives in January who will switch their votes to the Liberals over this issue? If they voted Conservative they are either indifferent or leaning towards Peter MacKay over the ongoing spat between him and Belinda. This is a tempest in a teapot. The only women outraged by this are the one's who woud never vote Conservative anyways....

Maybe so -- conservative women do tend to be led by their husbands/fathers so you are probably correct.

The women they will lose are the ones on the fence. The Liberals ARE the middle of the road party after all.

Those women who are leaning towards voting conservatives because of their stand on crime, for example, may not vote for them now. This will result in lost votes for the conservatives.

Maybe so -- conservative women do tend to be led by their husbands/fathers so you are probably correct.
Drea, is that comment any less insulting about women (who happen to vote Conservative) than what Mackay allegedly said about Stronach?

Stronach has very thick skin and chose to get into the political arena. I'm sure she can take the insults.

You, Drea, have insulted the intelligence and independence of millions of women - merely because they don't vote as you think they should.

No, its about character assassination. The Liberals are trying to suggest that the Conservatives are human failures.

It is about character assassination. Peter MacKay is the person doing it.

Peter MacKay is not the Conservative Party of Canada. He is one person, who was burned by an exgf who is willing to change teams for personal gain and an adulterer for sleeping with a married man and therefore has no character. When he tosses a silly insult like "you have her already," the insult is incomplete without the baited trap being put out there by the Liberal he was arguing with.

Harper isn't any better. Speaking to a Jewish crowd at a BB dinner the other day he said:

"As a boy I was, like all lucky men, most influenced by my father."

His father told him to be a member of the Young Liberals?

I don't have a clue.

One thing I do know is that most Jewish fathers and mothers would.

Harper, sensing the disapproval from his Jewish audience I guess, then threw ALL the caution into the wind, saying:

"Those who seek to destroy the Jews ... will for the same reason ultimately seek to destroy us all, and that, my friends, is why Canada's new government has reacted with speed on recent events in the Middle East."

Harper is at his best when he keeps his mouth shut.

O no. They have their eye firmly on the ball. And so do the Dems... Let's all hear what a success Iraq has been...

Saddam Hussein was found in a hole, Iraqis no longer have to fear being raped and tortured by his sons, Iraqis have been able to vote for the first time in their lives for some of them and their neighbours in the middle east are no longer threatened by potential chemical attacks.

Oh wait, but terrorists are trying to disrupt all of that and overtake the country and soldiers are dying for the cause. That's Bush's fault, not the fault of the people actually being terrorists and trying to disrupt the rebuilding process.

This is waaaaaaaaay off the topic of Peter MacKay insulting Belinda Stronach, though.

Peter MacKay is not the Conservative Party of Canada. He is one person, who was burned by an exgf who is willing to change teams for personal gain and an adulterer for sleeping with a married man and therefore has no character. When he tosses a silly insult like "you have her already," the insult is incomplete without the baited trap being put out there by the Liberal he was arguing with.

More character assassination in this post here. You should quit while you're ahead. It is the Conservatives acting like a jealous ex-boyfriend. Stop stalking her and calling her a harlot.

More character assassination in this post here. You should quit while you're ahead. It is the Conservatives acting like a jealous ex-boyfriend. Stop stalking her and calling her a harlot.

My opinion has nothing to do with the Conservative Party. I think she showed herself to be disloyal and only interested in personal gain when she jumped shipped. I think it's even more disgraceful that she was involved in an affair with Domi. Those are my opinion, not an assassination of her character at all. After all, she was the one that time and again has shown disloyalty in all facets of her life. There are no laws protecting people's feelings from getting hurt.

So, you know what...Peter MacKay is a moron for calling her a dog. Nothing could be further from the truth, a dog is more loyal to her pack.

All of this, of course, has no place on the floor during Q&A period and for that MacKay should be ashamed. But, like I said...the baited trap was set by a Liberal, which deserves just as much contempt.

My opinion has nothing to do with the Conservative Party. I think she showed herself to be disloyal and only interested in personal gain when she jumped shipped. I think it's even more disgraceful that she was involved in an affair with Domi. Those are my opinion, not an assassination of her character at all. After all, she was the one that time and again has shown disloyalty in all facets of her life. There are no laws protecting people's feelings from getting hurt.

You have no idea what she was involved with in regards to Domi. It is a bitter divorce and names were named in an attempt to gain a better settlement. Hopefully, you'll not have to go through a bitter divorce and be accused of something. Despite protestations people will believe the worst of you untrue or not. It is the very defintion of character assassination. And Conservatives have jumped all over it.

The women they will lose are the ones on the fence. The Liberals ARE the middle of the road party after all.

Those women who are leaning towards voting conservatives because of their stand on crime, for example, may not vote for them now. This will result in lost votes for the conservatives.

So you support strong women?

A woman who supports the Conservatives has a tendency to be led by her huband/father.

So you support any woman who does not support the Conservatives.

Now that is a principled stand!

And to tell you the truth, what's even more disgusting is taking a comment regarding one specific disgraceful woman in particular and attributing it to ALL women everywhere in Canada for political gain. Using this whole sordid affair (perhaps I shouldn't say affair in regards to Stronach, it might make her ears burn) for political gain and to incite anger in all women is ridiculous.

And to tell you the truth, what's even more disgusting is taking a comment regarding one specific disgraceful woman in particular and attributing it to ALL women everywhere in Canada for political gain. Using this whole sordid affair (perhaps I shouldn't say affair in regards to Stronach, it might make her ears burn) for political gain and to incite anger in all women is ridiculous.

"Disgraceful woman" is character assassination. "Affair" is character assassination.

So you support strong women?

A woman who supports the Conservatives has a tendency to be led by her huband/father.

So you support any woman who does not support the Conservatives.

Now that is a principled stand!

No, not at all. I respect women who think for themselves. If they choose to vote NDP, Green, Liberal or Conservative. So long as their vote is not dictated. So long as it is their decision. The sad part is that most conservative women only think they are thinking for themselves. They are actually only parrotting what they have been told. Poor brainwashed souls.

"Disgraceful woman" is character assassination. "Affair" is character assassination.

I don't see the Conservatives referring to her in any of those contexts. I am, because that's my opinion and I'm most certainly entitled to it.

And that still doesn't justify extending an insult towards one woman to be insulting to all women.