Ethnic slurs on TV?

Figleaf

Guest Warwick Green
So there's a program on the Showcase channel called "Rent a Goalie" in which the main character is called "Cake" by his Italian friends. Am I the only one who finds this somewhat ... off? I mean ... what's next? Sikh characters called "Raghead?" Mexican's nicknamed "Spic"?

I have never heard "Cake" used as a slur. Now I know.

So there's a program on the Showcase channel called "Rent a Goalie" in which the main character is called "Cake" by his Italian friends. Am I the only one who finds this somewhat ... off? I mean ... what's next? Sikh characters called "Raghead?" Mexican's nicknamed "Spic"?

Pretty funny show.......of course cake isn't a particulary derogatory slur....unless it's in Italian and accompanied by a rude hand gesture......

...I say, big deal, it's comedy.......anyway, you should see that negro of the comedy channe, Dave Chappell.....

• 2 years later...

Geez how sensitive are we? Get a grip plz.

Mangecake is not a racial slur, it's more of an endearing term.

I'm a cake and don't take any offense to it, I'm proud to be a cake.

Just as if a black guy calling me a cracker, I'd thank him for noticing.

Could be worse.

I would agree that it's harder to call a white person an offensive racial name than a coloured person.

And that has a lot to do with power.

If white folks were oppressed by black folks for centuries and "cracker" was one of the slurs used during that period, and became sort of a symbol of that kind of racist mentality, than of course in today's world it would have the same weight that the n-bomb does currently.

But the fact is that cracker really doesn't sting that much precisely because it doesn't come from a place of one powerful group dominating a minority group.

For the record - I steer clear of racial slurs in general except when being ironic and making fun of myself with my VERY good friends.

There was an awkward moment of Duffy Live a few days ago. Joy McPhail was being broadcast from Vancouver and Monty Solberg and Sheila Copps were on the CTV Ottawa set. The discussion turned to weather, a rather innocent topic one would think. A beaming McPhail said "it's beautiful in Vancouver today, Indian Summer". With raised eyebrows, Sheila Copps said "that's not politically correct". McPhail's jaw dropped to the floor. A pregnant pause followed. Then an expressionless Solberg piped in "it's snowing here".

Speaking off the cuff in public presents a constant danger of saying something that may offend someone, somewhere. That's probably why we live in an era of apologies.

There was an awkward moment of Duffy Live a few days ago. Joy McPhail was being broadcast from Vancouver and Monty Solberg and Sheila Copps were on the CTV Ottawa set. The discussion turned to weather, a rather innocent topic one would think. A beaming McPhail said "it's beautiful in Vancouver today, Indian Summer". With raised eyebrows, Sheila Copps said "that's not politically correct". McPhail's jaw dropped to the floor. A pregnant pause followed. Then an expressionless Solberg piped in "it's snowing here".

Speaking off the cuff in public presents a constant danger of saying something that may offend someone, somewhere. That's probably why we live in an era of apologies.

People are far too sensitive. Indian summer isn't meant as a slur grow up. They still call the ministry "Indian Affairs", so what. Are we that wimpy? I don't hear any natives complaining. It's always white liberal guilt that comes to the rescue.

That's exactly the reason some people argue that reverse racism does not and cannot exist.

Ludicrous. So if a Black guy says he despises all natives and thinks they're lazy scum that's okay?

Oh, no it's not. But if the Black guy says he despises all white and thinks they're lazy scum that's okay? Right?

And that has a lot to do with power.

If white folks were oppressed by black folks for centuries and "cracker" was one of the slurs used during that period, and became sort of a symbol of that kind of racist mentality, than of course in today's world it would have the same weight that the n-bomb does currently.

But the fact is that cracker really doesn't sting that much precisely because it doesn't come from a place of one powerful group dominating a minority group.

For the record - I steer clear of racial slurs in general except when being ironic and making fun of myself with my VERY good friends.

A racist is a racist, regardless of the slurs involved. If you say Hitler was right to have burned the Jews because they were trying to take over the world, it really doesn't matter if you're white or Native. You're still a dumbass and an ignorant bigot.

A racist is a racist, regardless of the slurs involved. If you say Hitler was right to have burned the Jews because they were trying to take over the world, it really doesn't matter if you're white or Native. You're still a dumbass and an ignorant bigot.

True - saying the Holocaust was justified is as racist as saying that slavery was a good thing. But what I'm saying is that if you ever wondered why slurs against anglo folks don't seem to sting as bad as slurs against groups of people that anglo folks have historically oppressed, it's got to do with history and power.

True - saying the Holocaust was justified is as racist as saying that slavery was a good thing. But what I'm saying is that if you ever wondered why slurs against anglo folks don't seem to sting as bad as slurs against groups of people that anglo folks have historically oppressed, it's got to do with history and power.

Don't get me started on the "holocaust".

So what you're saying is that it's open season for Muslims, people of color, et. al. against Westerners but Westerners cannot fight back, verbally or otherwise?

That's like admitting that when a bunch of singers sing "We Are the World" or that when appeals for tsunami or Pakistan earthquake aid goes out, Westerners should get their pockets picked but because of historical "oppression" oil nations need not contribute? Or when Israel offered to send teams to Indonesia to help tsunami victims it was more important for the victims to suffer than for the aid to be given?

It's not just you that's the hypocrite. It's all Mass Media and Universities.