RCMP: Break it up

QUOTE(fellowtraveller @ Jul 17 2007, 06:01 PM)

So the Soveriegn Mounted Police will handle all Criminal Code of Canada issues, and each province will create their own police force to hand out parking and speeding tickets.

yeah , that makes real sense.

I can see the OPP and QPP jumping all over that bandwagon.

Alberta has already done it. The Alberta Sheriff's department handles highway patrols now. The RCMP obviously still can hand out tickets if they wish, but they have been left more open to do other tasks, like deal with real crime.

You're telling us that all the Calgary and Edmonton city police departments do is hand out tickets?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from filching pension funds, nepotism and chiefs who lie, the RCMP has problems even at the cop on the beat level.

Yes, there are no mistakes, there is no misuse of force, and no corruption on other police forces. This is absolutely unique to the RCMP. And certainly, it never happens in Quebec. Although, oddly, my memory is reminding me of a Quebec cop arrested for the murder of another police officer who responded to the break-in at a warehouse. No doubt just my imagination though, as was the Montreal cop who shot a handcuffed man in the head and killed him, and the Montreal cop who beat up a man in a grocery store when the man dared to object to his double parking. And, of course, an ex-Toronto cop was convicted of murder yesterday.

Break up all the city police forces!

The stupid polish guy got what he deserved. So what if he died. Now and then tasering someone is going to result in the triggering of some unknown physical defect. So the answer is don't throw chairs through windows and fight with cops, eh?

I don't know anyone in Ottawa who would rate the RCMP as bad as the Surete du Quebec, the swaggering, moustachioed bigots with their fat bellies and oversized pants who do their best to nab Ontario cars whenever possible on whatever pretext.

• 2 weeks later...

The media coverage is clearly slanted. The video shown starts when the RCMP begin to speak to Dziekanski and ends the moment the tazer begins to cycle. They did not show any of the events leading up to the RCMP's dispatching and arrival, or what amount of violence and intimidation the subject was exhibiting in the time lapsed. Neither did they show the struggle after the tazing.

I have seen mention of furniture throwing and broken glass. If this is the case, with my knowledge of RCMP policies I would have to rule they acted within their training parameters. Furthermore, if he was using a "simple stapler" as a potential weapon or projectile they were again justified in the use of force as per the RCMP use of force continuum. Wether or not the force's policy on the use of Conducted Energy Weapons needs changing remains to be seen, but based on the information I have, the mounties did what they were taught.

I am sad to see the CBC will succomb to Americanized drama news; leaving the pertinent details on the editing room floor in the persuit of dramatic headlines. I caution you to take what you hear with a grain of salt.

Nothing like a good lynching! Honey...go get the kids!

The media coverage is clearly slanted. The video shown starts when the RCMP begin to speak to Dziekanski and ends the moment the tazer begins to cycle. They did not show any of the events leading up to the RCMP's dispatching and arrival, or what amount of violence and intimidation the subject was exhibiting in the time lapsed. Neither did they show the struggle after the tazing.

I have seen mention of furniture throwing and broken glass. If this is the case, with my knowledge of RCMP policies I would have to rule they acted within their training parameters. Furthermore, if he was using a "simple stapler" as a potential weapon or projectile they were again justified in the use of force as per the RCMP use of force continuum. Wether or not the force's policy on the use of Conducted Energy Weapons needs changing remains to be seen, but based on the information I have, the mounties did what they were taught.

I am sad to see the CBC will succomb to Americanized drama news; leaving the pertinent details on the editing room floor in the persuit of dramatic headlines. I caution you to take what you hear with a grain of salt.

Nothing like a good lynching! Honey...go get the kids!

I usually support the police 100%, but what they did was wrong and those 4 officers should pay for their own mistakes. It is a black mark on officers everywhere.

What Detachment are you in BLINDMAN ?

My eyes and no employment bias allow me to see.

Your affliction is obvious.

I won't partake in name calling. I disagree police should put their bodies on the line where unnecessary. The Tazer was given to them for the purpose they used it for...a violent person with (a) weapon(s).

My knowledge of RCMP policy has led you to assume I am a member. Perhaps everyone should familiarize themselves with these policies as well as I have before making judgments on how the responding officers acted.

I think the question here is wether the Taser is an appropriate method of intervention.

The Tazer was given to them for the purpose they used it for...a violent person with (a) weapon(s).

I think the question here is wether the Taser is an appropriate method of intervention.

Except in this situation it was not warranted since there was no threat, no appearance of imminent threat and the cops were never in any danger.

The use of a foot on the throat and chest cewrtainly was not warranted.

Back to training boys, you failed.

• 2 weeks later...

Blame the victim. ("She was wearing a short skirt when she was raped".)

Canadian police, eager to sketch a portrait of Robert Dziekanski before his fatal confrontation with taser-equipped officers at Vancouver airport last month, will head to Poland to investigate his last "hours and days" and his medical history, police say.

A spokesman for the Vancouver-area Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said yesterday that the trip was in the works, and confirmed that police are trying to get a sense of Mr. Dziekanski's manner on the Oct. 13 flights that brought him to Vancouver.

Corporal Dale Carr described the trip as "part of a fair and unbiased and full investigation. It's in order to investigate and understand the hours and days that led up to this tragic event."

Asked about topics of interest, Cpl. Carr cited "the history of the individual, of Mr. Dziekanski, his medical history and any other information that may be important to the various investigations."

G&M

It is entirely irrelevant what kind of person this Polish guy was. Who cares what clothes he wore, or who his parents were or whether he paid his parking tickets in a timely fashion.

Four RCMP officers killed him within a few seconds of meeting him. Millions of people around the world know this because they saw the video. If the RCMP thinks that an investigation in Poland will change this, the RCMP is very seriously mistaken.

----

The RCMP needs radical change. Its PR is bad, its operations are bad. It's all wrong in its approach to a modern world. I think that it should be broken up and its divisions left to focus on what they know. But what do I know?

What do I know? IMV, it is really, really dumb to send RCMP officers to Poland to investigate the background of a Polish man that the RCMP officers killed in full view of anyone with access to Youtube.

The RCMP is clueless. Investigate a crime? They couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag. Break it up.

Edited by August1991

I bet the RCMP are gonna get a hot welcome in Poland, I don't think! Wonder if the family will be at the airport to greet them?
Would it be wrong if the Polish police arrested the RCMP officers when they arrive in Warsaw for participation in a conspiracy?

We in the West face serious problems, local crimes and threats to our liberties. I am offended that a senior RCMP officer used my tax money to authorize Business Class Air Fare for RCMP officers to travel to Poland. That's wrong.

Edited by August1991

• 3 weeks later...
The RCMP should be run like a police force. Its commissioner should have the authority of a chief, not that of a deputy minister. Requiring a paramilitary organization to manage its hiring and promoting and firing through Treasury Board lenses, and to run its procurement needs through Public Works, makes no sense. The RCMP should have a board of civilian overseers, a parliamentary allocation to match its mandate, and a lot more freedom than it has now.

But the reform needs to go deeper than the Brown panel's mandate allowed it to dig. The RCMP doesn't just need to regroup, resupply, restaff and retrain; it needs to refocus, too. Ontario and Quebec have their own provincial police forces, and there's no reason the other provinces shouldn't by now, too. An RCMP commissioner should be preoccupied with matters of national significance, not worrying about finding trustworthy bodies to staff neighbourhood police offices or investigating brutality allegations against patrol officers.

Until the commissioner has that freedom, the RCMP will continue to be a troubled organization. The Brown panel's recommendations are good, but not enough.

Canwest

Exactly. Brown's report doesn't go far enough.