Teachers are turning into their students

fryingpan

Why is it that teachers are starting to become more and more like their students? Instead of actually teaching something, they engage in shallow popularity contests with the "cool" kids, and completely ignore the "losers". I have seen teachers actually pick on/hit their students the way a schoolyard bully might, just to generate laughter from these "cool" kids. They complain about how lazy and unmotivated their students are, but the fact is, most of these lazy students also happen to be "cool". What do teachers expect from their students when they encourage them to behave like they do?

What really makes me mad is how teachers claim to be hard working and "care about all their students". I have yet to meet a teacher who fits either description.

Does anyone else notice this?

Why is it that teachers are starting to become more and more like their students? Instead of actually teaching something, they engage in shallow popularity contests with the "cool" kids, and completely ignore the "losers". I have seen teachers actually pick on/hit their students the way a schoolyard bully might, just to generate laughter from these "cool" kids. They complain about how lazy and unmotivated their students are, but the fact is, most of these lazy students also happen to be "cool". What do teachers expect from their students when they encourage them to behave like they do?

What really makes me mad is how teachers claim to be hard working and "care about all their students". I have yet to meet a teacher who fits either description.

Hmm tough call.

I wouldn't generalise teachers like that. You've obviously had very bad luck with teachers, most are above that type of behaviour. Back in high school I had some amazing teachers that I still talk to today and I have an amazing amount of respect for. I also had teachers that were complete idiots.

If you think its bad in high school, just wait for university. Profs have nothing holding them back from making fun of students, and they do constantly. The difference here is that you can make fun back without too much fear of reprisal. Plus they don't actually give a shit about any of their students.

The bottom line is that the teacher is in charge and you've got to respect their authority. However if a teacher is seriously harrassing students, I'd be sure to report that to the administration quickly. No need for stuff like that.

What do people think about bonuses for teachers that have excellent class marks on standardized tests? I don't know about this myself, but I was thinking about it as a solution for those 'lazy' teachers you speak of.

Why is it that teachers are starting to become more and more like their students? Instead of actually teaching something, they engage in shallow popularity contests with the "cool" kids, and completely ignore the "losers".

Intriguing post.

What do you mean by "cool" kids and "losers"?

"cool" kids = kids who live in well-off families who have known the teacher for a long time

"loser" kids = kids who don't fit the above description

Well, I've been out of school too long. This certainly never happened in my day. However, I have to say I have noticed an oddity among the young (20ish) people I know, and that is in several cases young people who really had no idea what to do with themselves, had no particular ambition for any particular career, and no great drive to succeed, "settling" for teaching as something they figured they could get hired for, which paid well, and had a lot of holidays. They had no great ambition (nor obvious talent) for teaching, but school was all they knew, and perhaps they feared the greater world outside. If this is any indication of the kinds of people who have been becoming teachers lately I can accept the possiblity that some of them are as you describe.

Hmm tough call.

I wouldn't generalise teachers like that. You've obviously had very bad luck with teachers, most are above that type of behaviour. Back in high school I had some amazing teachers that I still talk to today and I have an amazing amount of respect for. I also had teachers that were complete idiots.

If you think its bad in high school, just wait for university. Profs have nothing holding them back from making fun of students, and they do constantly. The difference here is that you can make fun back without too much fear of reprisal. Plus they don't actually give a shit about any of their students.

The bottom line is that the teacher is in charge and you've got to respect their authority. However if a teacher is seriously harrassing students, I'd be sure to report that to the administration quickly. No need for stuff like that.

What do people think about bonuses for teachers that have excellent class marks on standardized tests? I don't know about this myself, but I was thinking about it as a solution for those 'lazy' teachers you speak of.

At my university the profs don't bother making fun of their students. They don't even bother learning their names. They just stand at the front of the room and teach directly out of the textbook. Ah well, at least they're treating their students equally. Plus I actually learn something.

I would prefer the bonus method instead of teachers running to the Union everytime they want more money. This would encourage them to work instead of complaining and going on strike.

I had my fair share of Teachers that were not all up to par. Some did't no what they were teaching half the time and I lost repect for them. But on an other note, i had some amazing teachers that i will never forget.

10 to 15 years ago, becoming a Teacher was very easy job to go in for. And there was alot of ppl that took it, becasue who wouldt want a job that u get to work 8 mouth out of the year. :) Now teaching standards are very high. So i think that will help create more teachers that just really love teaching aside from the ones that r in it for the money and the holidays.

Well, I've been out of school too long. This certainly never happened in my day. However, I have to say I have noticed an oddity among the young (20ish) people I know, and that is in several cases young people who really had no idea what to do with themselves, had no particular ambition for any particular career, and no great drive to succeed, "settling" for teaching as something they figured they could get hired for, which paid well, and had a lot of holidays. They had no great ambition (nor obvious talent) for teaching, but school was all they knew, and perhaps they feared the greater world outside. If this is any indication of the kinds of people who have been becoming teachers lately I can accept the possiblity that some of them are as you describe.

Yep, that sounds like everyone at my university who wants to become a teacher. Not only that, but these kids also fell under the category of "schoolyard bully" when they were younger. So not only are they just doing it for the relatively nice pay and all those holidays, but today's children are going to be at their mercy. Thank god I'm out of high school and elementary school.

I had my fair share of Teachers that were not all up to par. Some did't no what they were teaching half the time and I lost repect for them. But on an other note, i had some amazing teachers that i will never forget.

10 to 15 years ago, becoming a Teacher was very easy job to go in for. And there was alot of ppl that took it, becasue who wouldt want a job that u get to work 8 mouth out of the year. :) Now teaching standards are very high. So i think that will help create more teachers that just really love teaching aside from the ones that r in it for the money and the holidays.

Unfortunately, teachers are in high demand due to all the retiring baby boomers. The only way they're going to find replacements is if they lower their standards...

Remember the old days when you got picked on by the kid who sat next to you? Now that kid is going to be teaching/abusing your kids. Not a good thing.

Unfortunately, teachers are in high demand due to all the retiring baby boomers. The only way they're going to find replacements is if they lower their standards...

Remember the old days when you got picked on by the kid who sat next to you? Now that kid is going to be teaching/abusing your kids. Not a good thing.

It would be nice to think that teaching was a calling, and only those with that calling went into it. Unfortunately, that's never really been the case. Not all teachers are like Anne of Green Gables. Many, throughout history, have simply been people who couldn't find anything better to do. Thus the term "them that can - do, them that can't - teach".

The English have a long history of bitter, bullying teachers, you know. At least now they can't cane or strap you for fun.

"cool" kids = kids who live in well-off families who have known the teacher for a long time

Do you mean that "cool" kids come from rich families? Is that it? Money? (If a high school student has known a teacher for a long time, do you mean that kids newly arrived are at a disadvantage compared to kids who have gone to the same school all the time?)

Sorry if my questions seem naive. Anyone else is invited to explain this to me.

Do you mean that "cool" kids come from rich families? Is that it? Money? (If a high school student has known a teacher for a long time, do you mean that kids newly arrived are at a disadvantage compared to kids who have gone to the same school all the time?)

Sorry if my questions seem naive. Anyone else is invited to explain this to me.

"cool" kids where I live can either be rich or have parents who are friends with the teacher. The city where I live is pretty small, so a fair number of students entering/returning to school have parents who are friends with the teacher.

Your questions aren't naive at all, I don't think this is a problem in bigger cities where people aren't as close, and there is more diversity.