Should Harper take the time to go to Turin and see our Olympic hockey

fixer1

It has been said that Harper ( a hockey nut I am told ) is being encouraged to go to Turin Itlay and see the Canadian Team play in the Olympics. This would be his first overseas trip as Priminister and the Italian government has said they would gladly extend the invitation.

I personally think that would be a great idea, and it would do lots to humanize his character. But There will be those that say he is using it as a perk etc .... What do most of the people here think of this?

I think Harper has enough to worry about at home. After last week's debacles, I don't think jetting to Europe to watch hockey would do his image much good. Sounds like a rather Pettigrew thing to be doing, to be honest. Although I've noticed Laura Bush hanging out at the Olympics. Maybe Laureen should head over. They could swap recipes, and so on.

-k

Why not ?

It is probably a good way for him to get his feet wet in the teeming ocean of international diplomacy.

And...

I personally think that would be a great idea, and it would do lots to humanize his character.

... yes it would be good for him politically. Supposedly, he's a hockey nut. So WHY is this fact practically from hiden from the public then ? It would do him a world of good politically and would work against a facet of his image being intellectual and aloof.

I say go.

Like Kimmy said he is busy with whats been goign on. But if he makes it good, it would be nice to see him chearing on Canada, and it would be good to get to know the country of Italy.

Theres more to the olympics than hockey.

Personally I watch enough hockey throughout the hockey season. I like the olympics as a nice two week break from Flames vs. Canucks, Flames vs. Oilers, Flames vs. Canucks, over and over again.

I would even attempt to argue that a few weeks of watching short-track is indeed more exciting than hockey, though it might get stale.

Personally I watch enough hockey throughout the hockey season. I like the olympics as a nice two week break from Flames vs. Canucks, Flames vs. Oilers, Flames vs. Canucks, over and over again.

I would even attempt to argue that a few weeks of watching short-track is indeed more exciting than hockey, though it might get stale.

Agreed although I can't wait til the Habs come back.

I am one of those fans that when they are on TV from 30 mins before the gam until 30 mins after the game I don't get up and RDS does not go off...

I do grab a beer at the intermission though... :D

Stephen Harper is a huge hockey fan who is writing a book on the sport. Now that he is Prime Minister, I wonder if he puts that on the backburner for now.

I don't think he has any plans on going to Italy at this time. He seems to me to be pretty busy getting work done here.

I am one of those fans that when they are on TV from 30 mins before the gam until 30 mins after the game I don't get up and RDS does not go off...

Ick RDS, I'd rather just not watch TV... they have the weirdest camera angels, like whatever happened to watching hockey from that one fixed camera like on CBC?? Do you guys get sportsnet out East? Great local coverage, they even have this talk after about your hometeam in the game! (I learnt that in Edmonton vs. Calgary games, each city gets its own postgame!)

I know I can always catch a Habs or Sens game on ol' channel 11 (French CBC).

At least you have some interesting teams to watch the homeboys play against. In our division, its like constant teams that attempt to play the trap and its all boring defensive grind it out hockey. The Minnesota Wild are probably the most boring team to ever watch.

Ick RDS, I'd rather just not watch TV... they have the weirdest camera angels, like whatever happened to watching hockey from that one fixed camera like on CBC?? Do you guys get sportsnet out East? Great local coverage, they even have this talk after about your hometeam in the game! (I learnt that in Edmonton vs. Calgary games, each city gets its own postgame!)

I know I can always catch a Habs or Sens game on ol' channel 11 (French CBC).

At least you have some interesting teams to watch the homeboys play against. In our division, its like constant teams that attempt to play the trap and its all boring defensive grind it out hockey. The Minnesota Wild are probably the most boring team to ever watch.

Yeah we have Sportsnet East that plays Sens games if they play anything at all...it's even "molson canadian sens hockey" when they're playing the Habs... :angry:

They used to have molson export Canadiens hockey on sportsnet but I haven't seen that recently...