10PM EST CTV Declares Winner

French R-C had a clip on PM PM playing cards with his sons and watching the results on TV and then R-C showed the results in Ville Lasalle at the bottom of the screen with PM PM trailing the BQ! (Only two polls in.)

The story so far tonight is Quebec.

Saw that too... :lol:

If that Bloc Chinese candidate wins, it REALLY would be the upset of the night (*not likely yet...)

The Green Party was up on the screen for a minute....could they pull one out?

That was early in a BC riding...I doubt it

I was so excited for a minute. God, I'd love them to get a seat.

We NEED them to get a seat. Imagine the next leaders debate with one of Jimmy's boys (or girls) there to show the NDP and Libs what environmental responsibility is.

Go Green!

The Green Party was up on the screen for a minute....could they pull one out?

That was early in a BC riding...I doubt it

I was so excited for a minute. God, I'd love them to get a seat.

We NEED them to get a seat. Imagine the next leaders debate with one of Jimmy's boys (or girls) there to show the NDP and Libs what environmental responsibility is.

Go Green!

CBC just announced the Greens are finished in that riding...it will go CPC likely.

Well, it's going to be very close but it looks as if Harper will be able to get support in the House from anyone of the BQ, Libs or NDP. (Englsih-Canadians are going to discover Andre Arthur!)

Rona Ambrose and Josee Verner will become well-known. I was surprised how well Jason Kenney speaks French.

The NDP has done well in BC.

Ontario just doesn't want to vote for a western party.

----

In the longer term, in a year or two, when the Liberals get a new leader, it'll be a whole new ball game. Harper can only hope that the Liberal civil war continues.

I'm pleased we'll get a CPC government small minority as it is. I think we're in for interesting times as Libs seem bitter, Brison was actually cut off by Mansbridge as he was continuing to spew rhetoric.

Also some of the media pundits are saying that this is only a protest vote. This is an opportunity for serious discussion on important matters for this country, no more spewing venom, I hope we don't have a sore loser attitude.

The sun will be bright tommorrow.

Well, Martin did the right thing for himself, for the Liberal Party and for the country. His speech didn't resonate with me, but I think it was a message to the typical English-Canadian Liberal voter. Campaign left but govern right. Martin said nothing about national unity.

Harper will have a relatively brief respite because as soon as the Liberals get a new leader, they'll be clamping at the bit to go.

Harper is speaking far too late. Everybody in central Canada is in bed now.

----

And after such a terrible, ridiculous campaign, and after their abuse of power, I am astounded at how well the Liberals have done.

If Harper had said half the things Martin said, the Tories would be lucky to have seats in two digits.

And after such a terrible, ridiculous campaign, and after their abuse of power, I am astounded at how well the Liberals have done.
Harper had a perfect compaign except for two gaffs which I believe cost him a majority:

1) Opposition to SSM. This issue was a vote loser for Conservatives because it made the Liberal scare tactics regarding the CPC social policies sound credible. Harper should have simply stated that parliment voted on the issue and that its time to move on.

2) Musing about 'Liberal Judges' being a check on a CPC majority. This was a strange thing to say because judges are supposed to be apolitical - at least that is public fiction that is accepted in Canada. By suggesting that the judges (particularly the supreme court justices) were Liberal hacks, Harper made it sound like he considered that state of affairs acceptable.

Harper had a perfect compaign except for two gaffs which I believe cost him a majority:

1) Opposition to SSM. This issue was a vote loser for Conservatives because it made the Liberal scare tactics regarding the CPC social policies sound credible. Harper should have simply stated that parliment voted on the issue and that its time to move on.

2) Musing about 'Liberal Judges' being a check on a CPC majority. This was a strange thing to say because judges are supposed to be apolitical - at least that is public fiction that is accepted in Canada. By suggesting that the judges (particularly the supreme court justices) were Liberal hacks, Harper made it sound like he considered that state of affairs acceptable.

Not exactly perfect. When the campaign started, Harper stated in British Columbia that he would not reintroduce the marijuana decriminalization legislation supported by the Liberals, NDP and BQ. Harper could have said nothing but instead he blurted out that he favours jail time and criminal records for young people who possess a few grams of marijuana. This might not be a big issue or even on the radar screen west of the Rockies but in British Columbia last night, the Conservatives lost not one, not two, but FIVE seats to the NDP and Liberals. In addition to those five lost seats, Chuck Cadman's seat went to the NDP.

And even before the campaign began, CPC erred in selecting religious extremists to run as rookie CPC candidates in BC. All three, i.e., Darrel Reid, Cindy Silver and John Weston, lost in seats that went Conservative in the last election or Alliance in the previous election. Those three small-c conservative ridings went Liberal not because they love Liberals but because they loathe intolerant, religious extremists as much as they loathe the NDP. BC, not exactly a socially intolerant province by Canadian standards, is hardly the province for CPC to be running anti-abortionists and anti-homosexual candidates. This is not a vote getter in BC. :angry: