Content of Broadcast Media

This thought inspired by the thread to eliminate money.   Made me think about where do people get their information and inspiration.  Most of all: how do we so willingly accept incredible bias in wealth distribution?

Going back a few hundred years, it was churches that ruled the world.  Mostly because they were he mechanism of delivering information.   Check out the massive structures they built "in the name of whatever" and realize what they were extremely good at was convincing people to give them money.    A quick check in with the Vatican bank, for instance, would give a pretty good idea of just how successful they were (and to a large extent still are).   

Fast forward to this century and still the most prominent conduit of information is broadcast television.  Instead of worshipping some kind of dieties, we now worship greed.   It seems to me one of the most influential constituents of this culture is the boob tube.   When we watch the thing, it spends all of its time agrandizing the most useless, non-productive people on the planet.   The "news" seldom contains any stories related to anything productive.  Hollywood "stars", banking and finance personalities (seldom is there anything related to the actual products - Boeing airplanes one current exception) politicians, lawyers but most of all - professional sports are all offered up as the high priests of the new religion - greed.   Yeah, when you take $10mm a year out of the economy to reward someone for playing stick and ball games - activities that produce diddly squat - that is simply a symptom of our worship of greed (note, I did not say "money").   

Oh: then there is the other extreme - how we seem to be so fascinated with violence.  TV seems not to get enough of crimes and brutality in the shows and movies it revells in human tragedy.   Going way out on a limb here: but have to wonder if the frequency of mass shooting, stabbings, bombing, etc. getting so much attention along with glorifying wars and such on the screen doesn't lead to more actual violence.

Violence isn't as much a thing as it used to be.  I would say that the complete release of prohibitions put the responsibility in the viewer's hands on that.

In terms of 'worship of greed' - I would replace 'worship' with 'pursuit' and 'greed' with 'money'.

That way, Lebron James and Joe Shmoe are just doing the same ol' thing... chasing that dollar.