Women's Professional Hockey

For those not aware, it is the inaugural season of the PWHL

A lot of buzz is going on about it, based on how this seems to be organized and well funded, compared to prior attempted female leagues that flopped in the past.

Groundbreaking, inclusive and equal opportunity are words being thrown around profusely.

Will this league get it right, and focus on the product on the ice and marketing the living daylights out of it, or are doomed to fail pushing the agenda of their gender first?

Will you be watching? 

How do you feel about professional women's hockey?

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

That is, if the greedy media companies in Canada allow it to be seen here on public television.

It will be shown on CBC.

I think key will be advertising.

I see it no different than in combat sports. Your play speaks for itself, the butts will find their way to seats.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2024 at 12:45 PM, Perspektiv said:

For those not aware, it is the inaugural season of the PWHL

A lot of buzz is going on about it, based on how this seems to be organized and well funded, compared to prior attempted female leagues that flopped in the past.

Groundbreaking, inclusive and equal opportunity are words being thrown around profusely.

Will this league get it right, and focus on the product on the ice and marketing the living daylights out of it, or are doomed to fail pushing the agenda of their gender first?

Will you be watching? 

How do you feel about professional women's hockey?

I have watched it on ESPN I think it was. It was ok. I wasnt blown away. I have seen jt on their schedule again but I haven't tuned in. 

I just recently ran across Athletes Unlimited? Its apparently centered on women's professional sports. I watched a basketball game between Hull (the gray team) and the orange team. ThT was the teams name. They kept focusing on this one player with wild hair and playing while wearing what looked like sunglasses. It was bad shooting and slow. What got me was the promos...they claimed these were world class athletes. I dunno. 

Edited by Yakuda

On 1/2/2024 at 11:41 AM, Perspektiv said:

Saw the game, what I liked about it, was the physical play.

Definitely held their own and played like they belonged in the same conversation as the NHL.

Smart that they are starting small with the initial products and hoping to finish big.

How do you mean they "...held their own and played like they belonged in the same conversation as th NHL"? 

2 hours ago, Yakuda said:

How do you mean they "...held their own and played like they belonged in the same conversation as th NHL"? 

Skill wise, its not even close. 

I meant as in, the league looked organized and the teams looked well put together.

It was rough play, so I liked it.

But don't get it twisted. I would watch the NHL every single day of the week, vs this.

They put more emphasis of "showing your support" and pushing fans to do so for women's hockey.

Almost passively blaming them if this failed.

Earn your keep. Want fans? Offer them a show  they will want to pay for.

2 hours ago, Yakuda said:

It was ok.

I agree. 

I recently went to an NHL game with my nephew, and they put on a show. 

End to end play, hard hits, a fight. What more can you ask for?

We were near the ice. If he wasn't a fan before, his lit up eyes, told me he now was.

56 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Skill wise, its not even close. 

I meant as in, the league looked organized and the teams looked well put together.

It was rough play, so I liked it.

But don't get it twisted. I would watch the NHL every single day of the week, vs this.

They put more emphasis of "showing your support" and pushing fans to do so for women's hockey.

Almost passively blaming them if this failed.

Earn your keep. Want fans? Offer them a show  they will want to pay for.

Oh ok. Makes sense 

I'm not saying it's happening in this case but one thing i dislike around the WNBA is the suggestion by some that it's as good as the men's game. Saying that makes me think the person saying it believes we are stupid. 

Yes blaming others. I saw a video of a WNBA player talking to NBA players and she suggested if they didn't party just one night week and sent the money they would have spent on the partying to the WNBA tbs league would be doing fine. The men weren't having it. They pointed out the NBA has been carrying their asses for decades.

Put up a better product and people will buy it. 

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

I agree. 

I recently went to an NHL game with my nephew, and they put on a show. 

End to end play, hard hits, a fight. What more can you ask for?

We were near the ice. If he wasn't a fan before, his lit up eyes, told me he now was.

Yes. I don't think how hockey is played has changed as much as baseball, football and basketball. 

4 hours ago, Yakuda said:

is the suggestion by some that it's as good as the men's game.

I saw nothing but airballs, layups and a slow pace of play when I tried to watch a game. 

Its politically incorrect to say otherwise, so everyone rolls with it, kind of like you playing hockey with a toddler, would let them believe they literally beat you, because they are better than you. 

Anything lesser, is you being a d***. Same difference. 

Yes. I said it. 

Saying that makes me think the person saying it believes we are stupid. 

It's like the trans issue. If you don't support women's sports, then you're against them to these people.

Whereas to me, you're paid to entertain me. I am not paid to attend garbage sports.

Make it free, or elevate the play level. Fans will come. 

I saw a video of a WNBA player talking to NBA players and she suggested if they didn't party just one night week and sent the money they would have spent on the partying to the WNBA tbs league would be doing fine.

So to be paid for money you're not bringing in? 

Great business move! I can see the moguls lining up for that losing ticket.

I hate that argument.

Ex UFC fighter Rhonda Rousey, was earning millions per fight. Main event. People lining up to see her.

Is it because she has a nice body? Some find her attractive? 

No, it's because she could break your arm in half with an armbar, was undefeated until nearly the end of her career, and was an insanely witty trash talker. She earned every penny.

She even hates that woke idea, that she made money because she's a woman.

Put it this way. The woman who knocked her out, or women, aren't at her financial level, combined.

You bring it. People will want to watch.

• Like 1