Debate Team

Bro

Should the green party replace the bloc on national televised debates,because the greens represent more provinces than the 1 province the bloc represents?

Or,is the bloc placed there by the liberals or the liberal media to take the focus off other Canadian issues,to once again set up a false sense of security that the liberals will keep Quebec within Canada?

Should the green party replace the bloc on national televised debates,because the greens represent more provinces than the 1 province the bloc represents?

Or,is the bloc placed there by the liberals or the liberal media to take the focus off other Canadian issues,to once again set up a false sense of security that the liberals will keep Quebec within Canada?

While I do think the Greens' voices should be heard, the Bloc will almost definitely be the official opposition, and hence, has to be heard....

What do you mean *the Bloc will almost definitely be the official opposition*. They would have to win every seat they are contesting and have the Conservatives lose a net of 25 seats for that to happen. Where does this come from?

While I do think the Greens' voices should be heard, the Bloc will almost definitely be the official opposition, and hence, has to be heard....

What do you mean *the Bloc will almost definitely be the official opposition*. They would have to win every seat they are contesting and have the Conservatives lose a net of 25 seats for that to happen. Where does this come from?

I think from the imagination as no link was provided. :D

The Bloc is there because they're a federal party that holds seats and have over several elections. The Green Party is not part of televised debates because they don't hold any seats, nor have they ever held a seat. If we're to let the Greens have a podium during the debates the following parties should be allowed to speak as well:

Canadian Action Party

Christian Heritage Party of Canada

Communist Party of Canada

Libertarian Party of Canada

Marijuana Party

Marxist-Leninst Party of Canada

Progressive Canadian Party

Western Block Party

Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada

First Peoples National Party of Canada

And no one wants to watch a 12 hour televised debate.

• 3 weeks later...

As I hope you all know a Federal Election is coming up on Jan 23.

There is one more Leaders Debate scheduled on Monday.

There is a petition collecting signatures to stop the TV executives from being the ones who decide who is allowed in the debates. Right now for a party to be recognized as an official federal party, they must get at least 2% of the popular vote. Once this happens they recieve funding from taxes and are regarded as an offical party.

At this point in time they should be being included in all Federal Political Events. That isnt the way it works though when it comes to the televised debates. Regardless of the criteria already set out for federal parties, the television executives arbritarily decide who can be invloved. Which means that they are subverting the federal election process if they follow any guidelines except the established governmental regulations.

For a brief refresher (or maybe new knowledge) there are 308 ridings across canada. In the last election only four parties ran a candidate in every riding. To me this is important, because if you wish to be a federal party that represents the whole country, shouldn't you have represenatives across the whole country? The four parties were; the Liberals, Conservatives, N.D.P. and The Green Party.

The following link is to a petetion at the Green Parties website. This has nothing to do with any poll or survey, and it is not about supporting the Green Party. It is about allowing the democratic principles that our country is about to work as they were meant to.

Nowhere does it say that televion executives should have the power to decide who has access to the leaders debates.

By monday's scheduled debate, we need to collect another 10,000 canadian signatures.

Just ask yourself this, wouldnt you at least like to see the leader of the Green Party have a chance to say his peace, especially considering a couple of million tax dollars went to them since the last election?

Here's the link

http://www.info-greenparty.ca/petition/

Let's let the democratic process work without hinderance from the television executives.

Tom Adshead

How the $%^# the Bloc can be considered a Federal Party and get Federal Tax dollars to promote destroying the country is a disgrace. Without representation in all Provinces and territories they should not be recognised. The FACT Harper has said he would give Quebec and by extention the Bloc Quebecois, even more special treatment and opportunities like a voice in foreign affairs makes me sick. We have Elected offiacials who are supposed to make decisions based on what is best for the country. Ministers are appointed to oversee the application of those decisions. Sometimes the decisions are the same as what is best for Quebec sometimes They are not. No Province is satisfied 100% of the time. But giving the Bloc Quebecois the power to sabotage, in anyway, the counrty's foreign policy is a mistake.

I really agree with you on this. Even ignoring the fact that I am more concerned with seeing the Greens be involved. The fact that the bloc is included in a FEDERAL election to determine the leadership of the Country, when they make it quite clear they have no desire to be part of this country let alone run it is highly disgraceful. Out of all the elctoral processes that we have, the one that says a party can be an offically recognized party and makes no mention of wether or not it has to be a national party is just plain worng.

Heres a simple rule... if you dont have represenatives running in at least half the ridings in Canada (308/2) 154, the you cna not be an official federal party. By this I dont mean you need to elect a candidate in half the ridings, only that you run one.

I took that to mean the Block being the official opposition to a Conservative government. B)

The FACT Harper has said he would give Quebec and by extention the Bloc Quebecois, even more special treatment and opportunities like a voice in foreign affairs makes me sick.

That sounds like Mulroney appeasement all over again.

That sounds like the Liberals (especially that cajoling jerk Chretien) to me...

No way a Harper majority governs like this...

tml12, surely you remember Meech Lake and Charlottetown?

Yes I do...at the time I supported them (as did the Martin Liberals).

But now, I would not because the the West would want more, so now I support the Tory position. Why? Because look at Canadian federalism after 12 years of Liberal government. It's much better, right? :lol:

I don't think the Greens should be in the debate. They've haven't proven themselves as an electable party.

I'd like to take it further. The English-language debate should be between parties that will form the government, the Liberals and the Conservatives Not even the NDP, as they will not function as either government or opposition.

I want to see Martin and Harper duke it out, because then people could compare their policies 1 to 1 without Layton stammering in the background about sending more MPs to the hill and Duceppe talking about Quebec for two hours. Or maybe have the current format, and then a second debate between the two major parties.

Either way, the Greens are not currently an important player, however much that crowd attempts to make them out to be. I don't even regard the NDP as an important player, though maybe with the current situation they could prove to be.

----

I like the Bloc opposition idea. It's actually concievable. With recent polls the Liberals could easily fall below the Bloc's tally with just a few more misteps.

Imagine if the RCMP charges Goodale before the election date.