Interest rate hikes have yet to bring down food prices. Here are the tools governments could try

CdnFox

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

Nope, I was specifically against your balogna numbers, but here you are again making up things to argue against.  

Yep. you said they were baloney because businesses didnt do the mark up thing.

then you said they do the mark up thing but not all of them

Then you said that maybe they all do but math is hard (essentially)

Swing and a miss kiddo :)

meaning new costs often don't get fully passed on to end consumers

Really. Give me an example. When have new cost not been passed on to the consumer? Lets have an example where input costs rose but prices never went up.  I'll wait.

we're still talking about carbon taxes here, and how a the effects of a carbon tax that's probably added only 3-5% to grocery prices since 2019 can multiply up the chain by 800% as you'd have us believe. 

Sigh. Lets go over math again.

Your argument is that because total prices hae only gone up 3-5 percent then carbon taxes cant have been marked up that much.

First - food prices have gone up radically more than 10 percent since 2019. They're currently more than that PER YEAR, and that's also compounding. 

But setting that aside,  Carbon tax is only one of the costs in food. So when we add it to the cost of food post 2019 that particular input cost might go up 800 percent (considering it didn't exist before) but that doesn't mean the TOTAL cost of food goes up 800 percent.  Just that portion of the cost that are related to carbon tax would.

So lets say (to make the math easy for you) that carbon tax was 10 percent of a foods cost, and the food cost a dollar. If it went up 800 percent the cost of the food would not be 8 dollars, it would be 1.80.

Hopefully that's more clear.

You haven't really done any math here.

I've done quite a bit. It's just painfully obvious you don't know what math looks like

My god man.  This tax doesn't compound. 

Of course it does, and i've explained why.

This is very simple and very obvious.

If i have an input cost, and i put a mark up on my goods, then others put another mark up and another mark, the cost of that input is compounded.

Now you're just making yourself look dumb. Yeash.  get it together.

Edited by CdnFox

10 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yep. you said they were baloney because businesses didnt do the mark up thing.

I absolutely did not say that, so this is (once again) you just making up your own points to argue against.  You should be able to quote this if it's true, but you can't.  ?

If telling people how they feel, what they're thinking, and making up what they said is going to be your go-to debate tactic, there's not any point in engaging with you.  You're arguing against points of your own creation, so you may as well be left to it.  

Talking To Yourself GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I absolutely did not say that, so this is (once again) you just making up your own points to argue against.

Sure you did - that's why i laughed at the time when you changed your tune.

I get you feel like backtracking on it now.  Quite understandable.

Here's the thing. Remembering we were ONLY talking about the cost carbon tax added to fertilizer for transport, there's  a LOT of steps between the fertilizer factory and the dinner plate (and we didn't even add the carbon costs of producing the fertilizer).

Lets take a loaf of bread. There was the mark up the fertilizer company put on for the farmer, the farmer's to the distributor, the distributor to the processor to turn it to flour, the processor to the bakery who makes the bread, and the bakery to the grocery store. then the grocery store mark up to the buyer.

Now some times its less than that - sometimes it's even more than that.  But theres a LOT of mark up on food. The cost of growing enough wheat to make a loaf of bread and the other ingredients is literally a few pennies, and the time involved is worth only a dime or two as well - but we pay several dollars a loaf.  The markup on food vs the cost to actually grow the stuff is massive.

it's impossible to argue otherwise.   I dont know how you got it in your head in the first place that this wasn't how it worked but it is.

Carbon tax adds several hundred dollars at least to the cost of every  families grocery bills each year and that will be going up every year for a while. It's the easiest thing gov'ts could use to reduce pressure on food prices.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Sure you did - that's why i laughed at the time when you changed your tune.

...and yet you can't/won't quote me saying that, because I never did.  You're just making up my position as it suits you.  Whether you're doing it on purpose or just confusing yourself is the question.  Either way, you're just arguing with yourself.  ?

...and yet you can't/won't quote me saying that, because I never did.  You're just making up my position as it suits you.  Whether you're doing it on purpose or just confusing yourself is the question.  Either way, you're just arguing with yourself.  ?

it's already there.  We both know it's true.

And i haven't been arguing much this entire time - it's just been post after post of pointing out simple facts and correcting your errors

But - hey, at least you've given up pretending that the carbon tax doesn't make a significant impact on food prices :)  Glad we could move beyond that finally.

13 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

If it was, you'd quote it!  ?

Naaaah. I know your game. If you can't win, make the other guy work You'll ask for this, then you'll ask for something else and every time i take the time to go look where it is and cut it and post it you'll try to blow it off.

Look at what you did with the whole "i didn't mean the cbc' thing in the other thread. You very clearly said something in plain english then tried repetitively to argue you mean something utterly ridiculous. I get it's amusing to make the other guy jump around from time to time and sure it's kind of funny but I'm not playing that game with you anymore.

The carbon tax adds a sizeable amount of cost to our food bills and is one of the reasons food is expensive, and it's one of the things the gov't could address to ease the burden on consumer food prices if they gave a crap.