Conservative Minority in View

shoop

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to piss on your parade;

Don't you think this will do more harm than good, at least in the short term? The Liberals won't have nearly as much trouble corralling the NDP to vote against the government as the Conservatives will have marshalling the Bloc to support them. Meaning the Conservative minority will be completely ineffective and a non-confidence vote can't be more than another year or so away, which gives the Liberals just enough time to clean house before getting voted back in, perhaps as a majority. And then it's five more years of the same-old same-old.

Silver lining: even a short-term Conservative government will innoculate the public against the idea that the world will end when the Conservatives take over. Meaning that after that dreadful five years there's a reasonable chance the Conservatives will win a majority of their own.

Of course, the election hasn't even been called yet, there's plenty of time for things to change. I tend to agree with the minority conservative gov. having a difficult time. They'd have to play footsies with the Liberals who would only look for the opportunity to stab them in the back. The Block would be more honest, but it would be a tough sell to the public that you're teaming up with the party that wants to rip Quebec out of Canada.

I don't think winning the election would be bad in any sense for the Conservatives. The country will definitely be better off with Paul Martin out of politics.

Don't you think this will do more harm than good, at least in the short term? The Liberals won't have nearly as much trouble corralling the NDP to vote against the government as the Conservatives will have marshalling the Bloc to support them. Meaning the Conservative minority will be completely ineffective and a non-confidence vote can't be more than another year or so away, which gives the Liberals just enough time to clean house before getting voted back in, perhaps as a majority. And then it's five more years of the same-old same-old.

I don't think winning the election would be bad in any sense for the Conservatives. The country will definitely be better off with Paul Martin out of politics.

Taking a completely open view here, I do not think a four point Liberal lead signifies a Conservative minority government. If anything, it means we will have a very close election with probably the Liberals OR the Conservatives forming a very close minority government (maybe a 15-20 seat minority if anything).

Looking at it from the point of view of a conservative, we cannot be confident that a four point deficit means anything other than either a bare win or a close defeat.

Completely agreed. But it does bode well for the Conservatives. Seems like a lot of people who would never have voted for 'scary' Harper are opening their minds ... and liking what they see in the Conservatives.

Looking at it from the point of view of a conservative, we cannot be confident that a four point deficit means anything other than either a bare win or a close defeat.

Completely agreed. But it does bode well for the Conservatives. Seems like a lot of people who would never have voted for 'scary' Harper are opening their minds ... and liking what they see in the Conservatives.

What is it that they like about the Conservatives? Is it that Stephen Harper voted against bill C-250, the legislation that added gay bashing to the list of hate crimes. C-250 passed thanks to the NDP, BQ and Liberals all supporting it. Harper's party did not support C-250.

They like the fact that Stephen Harper is an honest man, has credible proposals for fostering a healthy Canadian economy and isn't the head of a party that has *admitted* to stealing at least $1.14 Million of taxpayers money.

Besides, not everybody casts their votes bases on the wishes of the gay and lesbian community.

What is it that they like about the Conservatives? 

They like the fact that Stephen Harper is an honest man, has credible proposals for fostering a healthy Canadian economy

Besides, not everybody casts their votes bases on the wishes of the gay and lesbian community.

Canada already has the healthiest economy of all the G-8 nations. Do you really believe that it's only the gay and lesbian community which favors including gay bashing in hate crimes legislation?

They like the fact that Stephen Harper is an honest man, has credible proposals for fostering a healthy Canadian economy and isn't the head of a party that has *admitted* to stealing at least $1.14 Million of taxpayers money.

I agree wholeheartedly, its time for a change, Bill C-250 isn't an issue in this campaign, and Harper and the CPC don't have their hands in the till.

Are we looking foreward to Prime Minister Harper defending the Clarity Act and leading the campaign for the "No" side in the next Quebec Referendum?

If the CPC gets in I'm sure he will. If the liberals get back in, look for more sepratist problems with Alberta.

Are we looking foreward to Prime Minister Harper defending the Clarity Act and leading the campaign for the "No" side in the next Quebec Referendum?

I am sorry but I have to say this.

The Clarity Act is bullshit and everyone, federalist or separatist, in Quebec knows it.

Chretien went through the whole Clarity Act debacle to prove he was a federalist blah blah blah. Bouchard went ahead and claimed victory. Correct me if I am wrong, but other than saying it had to be a clear majority and a clear question the Clarity Act provided no real specifics and left the question open to personal interpretation.

Like him or not, Trudeau was the only one who worked truly hard to keep this province in Canada.

If the CPC gets in I'm sure he will. If the liberals get back in, look for more sepratist problems with Alberta.

Harper will probably give a sincere look about what to do with Quebec. He will not get a majority government without a few seats in this province, but it is likely he would offer a fresh prospect without spending taxpayer dollars like an alcoholic with a blank cheque at a liquor store.

I've been in Québec for a few months now and one of the things that amazes me is the Québecois take on fiscal federalism. It was an act of faith that Québec paid more into Canada than it got back, until this recent PQ leadership race. Boisclair was the only one to state that Québec actually does get a good financial deal from Canada and has to be ready to tighten the belts if they separate. Good for him ... little cocaine snorter. :lol:

Harper will probably give a sincere look about what to do with Quebec.  He will not get a majority government without a few seats in this province, but it is likely he would offer a fresh prospect without spending taxpayer dollars like an alcoholic with a blank cheque at a liquor store.

not everybody casts their votes bases on the wishes of the gay and lesbian community.

I agree wholeheartedly, its time for a change, Bill C-250 isn't an issue in this campaign, and Harper and the CPC don't have their hands in the till.

Who says Bill C-250 isn't an issue in this campaign? Why are Harper's past actions, no matter how inappropriate, intolerant and inconsistent with the wishes of a majority of Canadians, not an issue? Most Canadians view gay bashing as a hate crime. Harper and his party don't. In my opinion, such a man is not worthy of being Prime Minister.

Can any Conservative supporter explain to me exactly why Harper voted against C-250?

RE:

Conservative Minority in View, Lib 34% CPC 30% NDs 16%

I have a different take on this. It seems to me this poll is indicative of core support for the parties. I honestly believe there is a large group of undecided voters out there of that won't make up their minds until near election day. A good many may not vote at all. I think this group may decide the election. The trick is, who can engage them; get them interested enough in their party's program to go out and vote. I say it's a horserace with no clear winners in sight. This will be an election decided by those that do the most effective job of getting out the vote.

I suspect that Jack Layton and the NDP will pick up a lot more support in this election.

not everybody casts their votes bases on the wishes of the gay and lesbian community.

Who says Bill C-250 isn't an issue in this campaign? Why are Harper's past actions, no matter how inappropriate, intolerant and inconsistent with the wishes of a majority of Canadians, not an issue? Most Canadians view gay bashing as a hate crime. Harper and his party don't. In my opinion, such a man is not worthy of being Prime Minister.

Can any Conservative supporter explain to me exactly why Harper voted against C-250?

Bill 250 is not an issue. You might try try whining about Grewal again.

Bill 250 is not an issue. You might try try whining about Grewal again.

Bill C-250 certainly is an issue. It exemplifies perfectly the type of man that Harper was and still is. Harper supporters are unable even to explain why he voted against it so they instead claim it's not an issue. It's a lot easier to say something is not an issue than try to explain his extreme position. I suppose C-38 is also not an issue even though Harper promised to revisit C-38 if elected. Harper supporters want to make "Liberal corruption" an issue rather than acknowledge that Harper is an extremist who voted to exclude gay bashing from hate crimes legislation.