Road Trip Thread- please add safely!

For this summer’s vacation we decided on an old school road trip.  Lower Mainland BC to Winnipeg Manitoba, over 2000 km one way.

This is day 3, and my wife and I picked up mom Daniels and departed Brooks, Alta this morning.  We had planned on Aunt Kathy too.  Yes that’s right, I had submitted to being stuck in an SUV with 3 women!  For 13-14 hours!! What kind of nutcase am I!!!

But alas, aunt Kathy had to cancel at the last minute, a funeral in the family.  I like aunt Kathy, these Alberta women are as tough as nails.  Anyway, here’s some weird shakey pics from inside a moving vehicle…

4E184CC1-B819-4E49-A53C-39BD5B6C684A.jpeg

1E547085-72FC-4C01-8F62-12A6E5B89189.jpeg

AED2A99F-9DD2-40AB-9F41-41EF885E5BE9.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m sorry about the boring photos, but I simply can’t get over how flat the land is out here. The hills and mountains of BC hide the horizon and you don’t realize how massive the sky really is.  Also, 2200 km and we are only half way across this amazing country.

E06022C9-E672-43E9-95F4-221563B9AA19.jpeg

A07EE122-FFC4-4F33-B25D-A6A22807D9CA.jpeg

30887B2A-80B0-4E1C-9BC0-2E7444342CC3.jpeg

Edited by sharkman

This land is your land.  What will you do with it?  I know there is plenty of hate and too much grief and sorrow in it, but there is love and joy too.  
Many times going through the “drive through” window on this trip, and there are many visible minorities serving me, a white guy.  Call me strange, but when they hand me my food I like to say, “thanks, brother”.  It almost always gets a reaction.  In Calgary, at Peter’s Drive In, the kid stood up straight, put his hands together and smiled at me.  I wish I could make their Canada more like mine.

A5C51FD3-EFE3-4166-8FBE-B52B94F16DB6.jpeg

So we’ve been in Winnipeg for a couple of days, so no road pictures.  Winnipeg is fun and the people are more friendly than the Lower Mainland of BC. Not sure why BC is like that, but here’s a photo of a company building.  My grandma taught me how to eat sunflower seeds from this company when I was a toddler…

64FFC546-45B4-4780-BB8C-7840681E463D.jpeg

Edited by sharkman

This trip has done something for me I hadn’t expected, I’ve kind of reconnected with this land.  We were at a conference and met people from all over western Canada and Ontario.  Different walks of life.  So full of life, it’s contagious!

Canada is better than you think.  

E3E9BE96-6F36-42F4-9A35-1BA791E04C52.jpeg

611AB8DD-50F6-4D06-8620-87921F420C05.jpeg

CF56E859-2F44-4CDA-9B48-C92183A3BDDC.jpeg

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I decided to buy a chainsaw.  Not knowing much about them, I turned to YouTube to get some pointers and found Buckin Billy Ray Smith.  He’s some kind of logging professional who just loves life and chainsaws, in that order.  He lives on Vancouver Island.

And it turns out he did a major road trip with a buddy to Manitoba.  Weird(Oops, actually Ontario)  I thought some might enjoy the trip.  

Edited by sharkman

Since it’s the weekend, I hope you’ll make allowances for me.  Buckin’ spotted an amazing collection of trucks, just sitting in a field by the #1 highway in Saskatchewan.  I must have passed this same field on the way to Manitoba.