Liberal Bias in the Media?

Do you think there is a bias in the media  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We get bored of listing them all. A few: Canada Free Press, Toronto Sun, NewsMax, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Murdoch's News Corps, Wall Street Journal..., not to mention the endless and vacuous rantings of conservative/republican talk radio.

Canada Free Press. Boy what a major player there! :lol:

The point is that government money shouldn't go to fund a "public broadcaster" with a political agenda, of any kind. None of your sources is funded by the Government of Canada, and my tax dollars, thus I really shouldn't have any say in their take on the news.

If the Libs had the balls to spin the CBC off, then fine let it become the official voice of the party.

The point is that government money shouldn't go to fund a "public broadcaster" with a political agenda, of any kind. None of your sources is funded by the Government of Canada, and my tax dollars, thus I really shouldn't have any say in their take on the news.
There is a huge leap between identifying a few situations where the CBC could have covered a story differently and drawing the conclusion the the CBC has a 'political agenda'. All media is biased in some way although most mainstream media outlets make an honest attempt to be objective most of the time. It in unreasonable to expect a public broadcaster to meet shoop's definition of pure objectivity when 1) no other media outlet comes close to achieving that ideal 2) what shoop thinks is unbaised reporting is, in fact, extremely biased reporting.

The CBC adds a different voice to the Canadian media environment - a voice that is valuable to a many Canadians because it attempts to inform people rather than entertain.

There is a huge leap between identifying a few situations where the CBC could have covered a story differently and drawing the conclusion the the CBC has a 'political agenda'. All media is biased in some way although most mainstream media outlets make an honest attempt to be objective most of the time. It in unreasonable to expect a public broadcaster to meet shoop's definition of pure objectivity when 1) no other media outlet comes close to achieving that ideal 2) what shoop thinks is unbaised reporting is, in fact, extremely biased reporting.

The CBC adds a different voice to the Canadian media environment - a voice that is valuable to a many Canadians because it attempts to inform people rather than entertain.

How was it informing me by ignoring the Michaelle Jean story for almost a full news cycle? If it is just part of the media mix than the CBC should be able to fund itself.

Why single me out in your post? The majority of the posts on this thread have supported the belief that CBC has a political bias. Is there any reason why I am the sole recipient of your venom?

How was it informing me by ignoring the Michaelle Jean story for almost a full news cycle? If it is just part of the media mix than the CBC should be able to fund itself.
It was one story among thousands and you, in particular, seem to be fixated on it. I will concede that the delay in coverage when to compare CBC to other media outlets, however, one story does not mean the CBC has a 'political adgenda'. Furthermore, that particular story has the added wrinkle that Michelle Jean was a CBC employee which meant that personal relationships are part of the picture. Some bias in all media reporting is fact of life (reporters are human). Making the assertation that CBC is always biased in favour of the gov't is not supported by the evidence.
Why single me out in your post? The majority of the posts on this thread have supported the belief that CBC has a political bias. Is there any reason why I am the sole recipient of your venom?
What venom? What I said was fairly reasonable. I personalized it to make the point that the personal beliefs of many CBC opponents make it difficult for them to recognize what is objective and what is biased. My own beliefs also colour my perception of bias but at least I acknowledge that and try to look for other explainations before I come to the conclusion that a given media source is 'systematically' biased.

I'm glad there is some Liberal bias in the media. Something has to counterbalance the Conservative bias in the media.

Then you'd support one of the two options, in fairness to your fellow Canadians, since none of the conservative outlets are publicly funded:

- cut all public funding to the CBC

- pour several billion in startup costs to a purely conservative national media outlet, plus a billion per year in operating costs in perpetuity

I know you'd be happy to do either, you want to be fair to all Canadians, not just those who agree with your political viewpoint.

Which one do you choose?

I'm glad there is some Liberal bias in the media. Something has to counterbalance the Conservative bias in the media.

Then you'd support one of the two options, in fairness to your fellow Canadians, since none of the conservative outlets are publicly funded:

- pour several billion in startup costs to a purely conservative national media outlet, plus a billion per year in operating costs in perpetuity

I know you'd be happy to do either, you want to be fair to all Canadians, not just those who agree with your political viewpoint.

Which one do you choose?

I do detect a strawman at work here. I didn't mention any of those nor did I imply them.

I'm also glad that the CBC is publically funded so that people will have a choice in which to watch or listen.

If the media is biased to the right, then why do liberals denounce only one MSM news source..Fox News?

We get bored of listing them all. A few: Canada Free Press, Toronto Sun, NewsMax, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Murdoch's News Corps, Wall Street Journal..., not to mention the endless and vacuous rantings of conservative/republican talk radio.

Canada Free Press and NewsMax are part of the mainstream media (MSM)?

And when you think of Canadian papers, the first that come to mind are the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail (both liberal, especially the Star), and the National Post (which used to be conservative but isn't anymore)--not the Toronto Sun.

What venom? What I said was fairly reasonable. I personalized it to make the point that the personal beliefs of many  CBC opponents make it difficult for them to recognize what is objective and what is biased. My own beliefs also colour my perception of bias but at least I acknowledge that and try to look for other explainations before I come to the conclusion that a given media source is 'systematically' biased.

Never claimed a systematic biased. Claimed a gross example of bias in the Michaelle Jean coverage.

If you come up with a reasonable reason for why they sat on the story for so long, former friends doesn't count it, I am all ears.

Which one do you choose?

I'd name that channel Fox News Canada--just to see the lefties foaming at the mouth. ;)

I can hear it now: "Liberal Canadians shouldn't be forced to pay for a state-run channel that is biased for conservatives!" :angry:

I'll simply give them Daniel's reply: "I'm also glad that Fox News Canada is publically funded so that people will have a choice in which to watch or listen". :)

Trying to score points? Why? I believe Foxnews has been cleared by CTRC to broadcast in Canada, so that would give the rightwingers choices between CTV, Global, and Fox to watch.

The CBC gives each official party equal time. If the CBC were eliminated, us lefties will be without anything of value to view. You do offer choice for others beyond yourselves don't you?

Trying to score points?  Why?  I believe Foxnews has been cleared by CTRC to broadcast in Canada, so that would give the rightwingers choices between CTV, Global, and Fox to watch.

The CBC gives each official party equal time.  If the CBC were eliminated, us lefties will be without anything of value to view.  You do offer choice for others beyond yourselves don't you?

Man, I support the CPC but would not watch Fox News Canada if it ever came into existence. Power to them as long as my tax dollars aren't paying for it to exist.

Trying to score points?  Why?  I believe Foxnews has been cleared by CTRC to broadcast in Canada, so that would give the rightwingers choices between CTV, Global, and Fox to watch.

The CBC gives each official party equal time.  If the CBC were eliminated, us lefties will be without anything of value to view.  You do offer choice for others beyond yourselves don't you?

CTV and Global are rightwing? :huh:

You are correct that the Liberal Party-controlled CRTC lifted i ts 5 year ban of the Fox News Channel--but only after extreme pressure from the public which was outraged that the CRTC had approved Al Jazeera, a full 5 months before lifting their FNC ban.

The CBC should be sold and privatized. It is worrisome having a state-run, taxpayer-funded Soviet-style news service broadcasting hard-left propaganda to every nook and cranny of this country. I resent being forced to fund them. They should sell the Liberal Party's Pravda and use the money from the sale, and future savings ($1 billion plus annually) to cut our taxes.

Man, I support the CPC but would not watch Fox News Canada if it ever came into existence. Power to them as long as my tax dollars aren't paying for it to exist.

What would you watch instead?

• 1 month later...

Preparations election machines revved to go

Reading the National on this story about the parties getting ready for the election,I found a lot of info on the Liberals and especially the NDP side of the preparations to the election,but whoever the reporter covering the Conservatives was didn't do much work.

The Conservatives said they are "ramping up the election machine" and putting the finishing touches on their platform. The party has 308 nominated candidates in place and is ready to head out on the hustings.Campaign chairmen for the Tories are British Columbia MP John Reynolds, who is not running in the next election, and Quebecer Michael Fortier.

That was it for the Conservatives in the whole article,even the PQ got more space.

Bias,or lack of good reporting? I'm sure there could have been more about some of the Conservative candidates running, or about who is running the media campaign.

Which one do you choose?

I think this is as big a red herring as you can find in the sea. of course the public pays for the conservative media why do you think there is a conservative media? if not to enrich the people running it. Mr. Black is one case in point.

The trouble is that consecutive reactionary governments from trudeau through chretien, including our first american prime minister, Mr mulroney have taken a little piece of the heart of the CBC. At one time with intelligent investigative reporters the canadian public was treated to hard looks at politicians of all stripes.

The reason that the right wing parties, grits and tories, are so paranoid now about any form of intelligent discourse about them is that for the most part they were in power when the CBC still had the wherewithall to give Canadians good work.