Confusion Over Sexuality Challenges Society

My special guy is ...several... years older than me. It's not a May-December thing... it's maybe more like May-July. :) However, I picked him when I was old enough to make my own decisions, and my family had little choice but to accept it. And, of course, he is awesome and my parents think he is the best thing that ever happened to me. If people are mature enough to make their own decisions when they enter into a relationship, I don't have a problem with it...

However, the trailer-trash kids in this article were already a couple when he was 20 and she was 12.

WHERE WERE THE PARENTS????

If I had started going around with my special guy I was 12 and he was over 20, I would have been grounded for the duration of the 1990s, and he would most likely have turned up as a corpse in a garbage dump or something.

The article mentions that the newlyweds' parents are single mothers on social assistance. There's no doubt in my mind that "special ed" Matthew and his lovely bride will be drawing social assistance as well. And I am fairly sure that little Samara has a bleak future ahead of her as well. Her parents named her after the scary little dead girl from "The Ring"... that can only be an omen.

My only question is why a story about these yokels is in Federal Politics? :unsure:

Well, then there's that. :)

-k

We send so many mixed messages to adolescents about sexuality - on the one hand, we idealistically try to preserve their innocence and extend the "adult in training" period far beyond other cultures. On the other hand, we surround them with images that subtly and overtly tell them that sex is the be all and end all that they should be striving towards, and if they aren't sexually active, they are missing out. Since their hormones agree with the second message, its not difficult to see that they would naturally lean this way. A 12 year old might be flattered that a grown man was interested in her, since she is just starting to figure out what it means to be a "woman".

But I have to echo kimmy, "Where were the parents??? How does anyone allow their kid to be involved in this? Don't they realize that a 20 year old dating a 12 year old is a pedophile???" It doesn't matter if this 12 year old entered into the relationship willingly; she is too young to understand how this will impact everything she does for the rest of her life. Those who say, "Well, at least he married her" are missing the point - he is a child molester, and marrying her at 14 allows him to continue to be a child molester.

Not that I'm arguing any of the points here, because I agree 100%, but where do you draw the line? 14? 16? 18? Why at age 18 do people all of a sudden think youth able to make life decisions? Because you finish high school?

We teach academics, but not "life-ademics". How about a class or six that teaches the skills to get by in life, like a job search class, a business class to teach you how to care for your finances, a balanced living class. Granted most of the stuff will go in one ear and out the other (as with most other classes), but at least there's some exposure to life outside of high school.

Not that I'm arguing any of the points here, because I agree 100%, but where do you draw the line? 14? 16? 18? Why at age 18 do people all of a sudden think youth able to make life decisions? Because you finish high school?

We teach academics, but not "life-ademics". How about a class or six that teaches the skills to get by in life, like a job search class, a business class to teach you how to care for your finances, a balanced living class. Granted most of the stuff will go in one ear and out the other (as with most other classes), but at least there's some exposure to life outside of high school.

To be fair to, the idea that young people of certain ages are sexually off limits is not only at odds with biology, but is also a fairly recent phenomenon. After all, in times past, girls of 14, 15 were prime marriage and breeding material. When women were expected to churn out children at the maximum rate, then it was best to start them young.

The biological aspect is also interesting: girls especially seem to be, uh, developing much earlier these days, so its not surprising that these things happen when physical development outpaces mental and emotional development. Which is why comprehensive sex ed, starting in elementary school, is a good idea.Unfortunately, such things are taboo in most of America and in places like Kansas in particular.

My special guy is ...several... years older than me. It's not a May-December thing... it's maybe more like May-July. :)  However, I picked him when I was old enough to make my own decisions, and my family had little choice but to accept it. And, of course, he is awesome and my parents think he is the best thing that ever happened to me. If people are mature enough to make their own decisions when they enter into a relationship, I don't have a problem with it...

However, the trailer-trash kids in this article were already a couple when he was 20 and she was 12. 

If I had started going around with my special guy I was 12 and he was over 20, I would have been grounded for the duration of the 1990s, and he would most likely have turned up as a corpse in a garbage dump or something.

The article mentions that the newlyweds' parents are single mothers on social assistance. There's no doubt in my mind that "special ed" Matthew and his lovely bride will be drawing social assistance as well.  And I am fairly sure that little Samara has a bleak future ahead of her as well.  Her parents named her after the scary little dead girl from "The Ring"... that can only be an omen.

My only question is why a story about these yokels is in Federal Politics? :unsure:

Well, then there's that. :)

-k

He's disgustingly rich, isn't he?

What no one has brought up in this thread yet is that the same people who are up in arms about a man in his twenties knocking up and then marrying at girl in her early teens (or tweens, whatever) with parental consent are the same people who are more than happy to protect another 13 year old girl's right to "privacy" and allow her to have an abortion without parental knowledge or interference. Double standard, no? They seem pretty keen to protect a girl's right to "choose" unless she chooses to have the baby and get married.