Layton lacks ability to govern rationally.

shoop

However, all of Canada's oil reserves are commercially viable because of private sector investment into the technologies necessary to get it out of the ground. This is especially true with oil-sands oil. These companies deserve to earn profits on the resource that would have been worthless otherwise.
And these private oil companies got no exploration tax credits, r&d tax credits, investment tax credits, deferred taxation ??? Because it would appear to me that the Canadian governement gives a LOT of money to the oil companies, albeit mostly in the form of tax deductions, but a tax deduction is as good as a cheque for the same amount... If true accounting were done, you'd find that there was significant public investment in the technologies necessary to get it out of the ground....

Bravo.

That is the proper way to proceed. We are all equal citizens. A measure that effects all Canadians equally is the fairest way to go.

If (and its a big if) the Canadian gov't wants to provide Canadians with a break on the cost of fuel then it should reduce taxes on gas or provide fuel tax credits. The costs of these measures would be borne equally by all citizens and companies and not heaped on the shoulders of the few.

In my neighbourhood, it was about $0.60/litre last year...  Let me know if it dips into that region in your neighbourhood.... It'll be worth the drive to fill the tank in your neighbourhood if that's the case...
And your point is? I made the assertion that the market for gas prices is behaves more like the stock market than a rigged market. The fact that gas will not return to previous levels is not relevant. Do you have any arguments that actually address the point I made?
So there's no collusion... You've put my mind to rest...
Conspiracy theories are wonderful - they require no proof just a creative mind and unconnected circumstantial evidence.

And these private oil companies got no exploration tax credits, r&d tax credits, investment tax credits, deferred taxation ??? Because it would appear to me that the Canadian governement gives a LOT of money to the oil companies, albeit mostly in the form of tax deductions, but a tax deduction is as good as a cheque for the same amount... If true accounting were done, you'd find that there was significant public investment in the technologies necessary to get it out of the ground....
Add the public is getting a return through the extremely large royalties that are charged for the priviledge of producing oil (the Alberta gov't is debt free because of these royalties). As I said, any gov't program to provide relief from high gas prices must be funded from general revenue - imposing special taxes on a single industry is like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

It can go down..... but it doesn't... does it...  And it won't, will it ???? But if it does go down in your neighbourhood... let me know...
Earlier this summer when the typical gas price was 90-95 cents/liter I was periodically able to buy gas at 86.5. The higher price of crude means that gas prices will never go back to those levels but I am fairly certain that sometime before christmas I will be able to buy at 90-95 prices (down from 1.10 right now).

Another BS thread. Jack Layton has a PhD. I doubt very much he would have said that the oil industry is a monopoly. Another drive-by smearing attempt.  Maybe  one of the conditions before people post here is that they learn how to read.  :lol:

and his thesis was a diatribe on multinational corporations and globalization.

What we have is dramatic price swings that can take the price of gas down as quickly as it goes up.

It can go down..... but it doesn't... does it... And it won't, will it ????

But if it does go down in your neighbourhood... let me know...

Gas prices don't go down?

Don't you remember last year when we were paying damn near $1/litre for about a week, then it dropped down to 0.65 again? Now we're paying near a dollar again.

Gas prices fluctuate, like someone else explained with the stock market analogy.

Why do you say it'll go down. I don't follow oil prices too close, but all I've heard is that its going up. Perhaps to $80 a barrel in the near future.

A big part of the rise in gas prices is stability of supply concerns. There are questions about how stable the oil supply is in Saudia Arabia (new king), Venezuela, Russia, Iraq...

The Saudia Arabian concerns appear to have been unfounded. Venezuela and Russia are slowly getting better.

Not guaranteeing it will go down, but that is my guess...

The world price of crude oil was about $10 a barrel in December 1998, only seven years ago.  Yes, it can go down.

This market is no place for politicians like Jack Layton.

I still have The Economist article arguing that oil was going to $5 and staying there. :lol:

Why do you say it'll go down. I don't follow oil prices too close, but all I've heard is that its going up. Perhaps to $80 a barrel in the near future.

Its a commodity. Commodities go up and down. If you look at the history of commodity prices, they tend to have long price movements. So we're in a bull market in commodities now, but that will change one day.

A big part of the rise in gas prices is stability of supply concerns. There are questions about how stable the oil supply is in Saudia Arabia (new king), Venezuela, Russia, Iraq...

The Saudia Arabian concerns appear to have been unfounded. Venezuela and Russia are slowly getting better.

Not guaranteeing it will go down, but that is my guess...

That's part of it, but the real story is demand. From 1980-2000, global oil demand grew a little under 2%. Supply grew slightly faster. That's why the price traded within a band for 2 decades. But over the past few years, demand has been in the 3-4% range, which is why oil prices have gone up so hard.