Monikers with Political Party Names

Riverwind

I few people choose monikers which suggest association with well known political parties or individuals. This creates an unfair (IMV) association on the board between that party or person and the individual poster.

I assume that monikers with obviously obscene or suggestive names are already banned. I propose a ban on any moniker that contains all or part of a political party name or person.

Thoughts?

Dear Sparhawk,

I propose a ban on any moniker that contains all or part of a political party name or person.
I would agree, but 'liberal' and 'conservative' have different meanings other than the political parties. That being said, this is meant to be a political forum, so I can't blame someone for 'wearing their heart (or moniker) on their sleeve'.

I propose a ban on any moniker that contains all or part of a political party name or person.
Unfortunately, changing a poster's moniker does not change the poster's political views, or posting style.

Rules of the sort just incite efforts to circumvent them. (Should the moniker "TheGrit" be forbidden?)

The best rules are self-enforcing. (Stop at a red traffic light.) Second best? Report an offending post to Greg (button on the bottom left hand corner). Briefly provide context.

I few people choose monikers which suggest association with well known political parties or individuals. This creates an unfair (IMV) association on the board between that party or person and the individual poster.

I assume that monikers with obviously obscene or suggestive names are already banned. I propose a ban on any moniker that contains all or part of a political party name or person.

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone actually believes Scott Brisson is Scott Brisson, though why he chose that as a moniker is puzzling. I think it is the behaviour of posters who use political monikers which matters. The two most obvious are both trolls.

I don't think anyone actually believes Scott Brisson is Scott Brisson, though why he chose that as a moniker is puzzling. I think it is the behaviour of posters who use political monikers which matters. The two most obvious are both trolls.
When I first joined the forum I thought he might have been Brison or someone from his office. It wasn't until after reading a number of his posts that I realized that it could not be true. It should not be left to the reader to figure out that someone has usurped the identity of someone else. You could think of this as an issue similar to copyright infringement.

A disclaimer would alse work (e.g. These are my personal opinions I don't speak for xxx). However, I am assuming it would easier to enforce rules regarding the moniker than what goes in someone's signature.

Here is another example of why I think it is misleading to allow people to use these monikers:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/index.p...indpost&p=65345

I realize it is a judgment call and there will always be back doors. However, having the policy that eliminates the most blatant examples would reduce confusion for casual readers of the forum.

Dear kimmy,

If we put such a rule in place, what will I do when somebody starts up a Kimmy Party of Canada?
Don't worry, kimmy, if you get into politics, you will be too busy with your 'snout in the trough' and 'your fingers in the pie' to post here any more! Besides, we'd all be bashing you at that point, (well, 50+%, anyway) so I doubt you'd sully your elevated mind in a parley with us 'unwashed masses'.

Btw, is your last name Campbell?

Thoughts?

Why cant people proudly state what their side of the political platform is? What you suggesting is that if sombody wore a canadian maple leaf on their shirt in the USA they could get kicked out? Your also saying that if I vote conservative I am not good and I should get banned from the country.

My name is Canadian Conservative but all I am saying by that name is that I am a conservative voter I back the COnservatives you cant stop that any more than you can make the sun set. I do not know why you would care?

Now these are the real "monkiers" as you say somone who had the name say "NDP sucks" now that would be offensive to people who back the NDP and that would be a person you would want to block.

Anyways for now I think I will keep my name as Canadian Conservative since the last time I checked I live in Canada where I can vote for whom ever party I please and not in Africa where I can get shot if I dont vote for who you tell me too.

Anyways for now I think I will keep my name as Canadian Conservative since the last time I checked I live in Canada where I can vote for whom ever party I please and not in Africa where I can get shot if I dont vote for who you tell me too.

Unless you get hit by one of a forum member's trucks:

" Plus voting the way he does, it's a wonder he doesn't get run over by one of my crew trucks!!"

" Plus voting the way he does, it's a wonder he doesn't get run over by one of my crew trucks!!"

That was a pretty sad joke I am afraid.

People who make jokes like that should be banned. <_<

Don't worry, kimmy, if you get into politics, you will be too busy with your 'snout in the trough' and 'your fingers in the pie' to post here any more! Besides, we'd all be bashing you at that point, (well, 50+%, anyway) so I doubt you'd sully your elevated mind in a parley with us 'unwashed masses'.

:lol: You never know. I sometimes wonder if politicians or their advisors check in on forums like this one to get an idea of what "normal" people are saying. (I also sometimes wonder if Warren Kinsella checks in to steal my Paul Martin barbs...)

Btw, is your last name Campbell?

No. :)

I wonder what that "other" Kimmy is up to these days. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if it had been she, and not that deadbeat Joe Clark, who came back to "save" the Progressive Conservatives in 1998.

-k

Dear kimmy,

I wonder what that "other" Kimmy is up to these days.
Well, according to wikipedia,
The Right Honourable Avril Phaedra Douglas "Kim" Campbell, PC , LL.B , BA
Campbell returned to lecturing in political science for a few years, this time at Harvard. Then, in 1996, the Liberal government that had defeated Campbell appointed her Consul General to Los Angeles, a post she remained in until 2000.

In 1997, Campbell collaborated with common-law husband Hershey Felder on the production of a musical, Noah's Ark in Los Angeles. In 2002, she lectured at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. She is also Chair of the Council of Women World Leaders, a network organised by the Kennedy School.

In 2004, she was included in the list of 50 most important political leaders in history in the Almanac of World History compiled by the National Geographic Society. She was cited for her status as the only woman leader of a North American country to date, but controversy ensued among academics in Canada over the merit of this honour.

She is also a member of the Club of Madrid, an independent organization whose main purpose and priority is to contribute to the strengthening of democracy in the world. Its membership is by invitation only and consists of former Heads of State and Government. The current President of the Club of Madrid is Fernando Cardoso, the former President of Brazil. On January 1st, 2004, Ms. Campbell assumed the role of Secretary General of the organization's secretariat in Madrid.

She continues as a Lecturer of Public Policy at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University to this day, in addition to her duties at the Club of Madrid. She also is the director of several publicly traded companies in high technology and biotechnology.

I can see her not liking 'Avril Phaedra', but why did she choose 'Kim' instead of 'Doug'?

I wonder what that "other" Kimmy is up to these days. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if it had been she, and not that deadbeat Joe Clark, who came back to "save" the Progressive Conservatives in 1998.

A lot of people seem to forget that the Tories were actually doing fairly well in the polls under Campbell. But her political team were second raters and during the election she made some terrible choices and mistakes. The most memorable was admitting that her government had no idea about what to do about high unemployment, and forecasting continued high unemployment for at least the next several years.

Mind you, the Liberals had no ideas either, but they were smart enough to pretend they did, and made a huge deal out of this.

Another giant gaffe was saying that an election campaign was not the time to talk about complicated, serious issues. She was right, of course. You simply cannot have any kind of rational discussion n the rhetoric, partisaniship, and ten second sound bites of an election. But it sounded really stupid to say it, and she was mocked and ridiculed by the media, not to mention by the other parties.

But though the tories ran a terrible campaign it wasn't her running it. Her election team let her down. She was smarter than Clark, more savvy, and more honest than Mulroney without all the sleaze and swagger. She probably would have made an excellent prime minister if she'd gotten the chance.

Dear Argus,

The election that saw Campbell defeated was a case of the Canadian voter taking out their wrath against Mulroney, (Lyin' Brian), and at the conservative party. It was an unheard of, record fall from grace. As for Kim being 'too honest', I have to agree. The same thing befell Joe Clark, for he told of tax increases and spending cuts (his infamous 'Stayin alive with 6/5') in order to cut the debt...then along came Trudeau and promised no tax increases...and got re-elected. Then he increased taxes.

Dear Argus,

The election that saw Campbell defeated was a case of the Canadian voter taking out their wrath against Mulroney, (Lyin' Brian), and at the conservative party. It was an unheard of, record fall from grace. As for Kim being 'too honest', I have to agree. The same thing befell Joe Clark, for he told of tax increases and spending cuts (his infamous 'Stayin alive with 6/5')  in order to cut the debt...then along came Trudeau and promised no tax increases...and got re-elected. Then he increased taxes.

Anger at Mulroney was certainly a big factor. But I think from the polls at the time voters were prepared to look at Campbell differently and give our first female pm a shot. However, their patience was razor thin, and when she screwed up the election so badly they abandoned the tories in droves.