Paul Emery Arrested in Canada by order of USA DEA

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...raid050729.html

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/4466.html

So now the American government's psychosis on terror spreads to drugs. MLAT means that American law applies in Canada. Our government has let us down. It means that if you say something here that contravenes American law (like a passionate statement that may be considered by them as an incitement of terror, illegal in the US), you can be picked up in Canada, delivered to the US and be ingested by their legal and prison system. Be careful!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a good precedent.

Get used to it. And get used to a lot of other things American style. The Yanks are still on the move and since we have no backbone politicians, the U.S. will absorb us completely before too very long. Sure glad I'm at the tailend of life rather than at the beginning. I really don't think I could take it.

you can be picked up in Canada, delivered to the US and be ingested by their legal and prison system. Be careful!
This guy sold marijuana seeds over the internet to US customers. That makes him guilty of trafficing in the US (no matter what you think of US laws). He could have run his website and refused to deliver US addresses so IMV he is the author of his own misfortune. You must remember, that he cannot be protected becuase what he did is legal in Canada - it is illegal here too - our police just choose to not enforce the law. Which means the US gov't is perfectly justified in asking for extradiction.

It is worth comparing this case to telemarketing fraudsters who use Canada as a base to defraud Americas because our laws regarding fraud are much more lienient. I would be surprised if someone had a problem with the Canada gov't facilitating the arrest and extradiction of fraud artists to the US. In terms of law, the Emery case is no different.

So now the American government's psychosis on terror spreads to drugs. MLAT means that American law applies in Canada. Our government has let us down. It means  that if you say something here that contravenes American law (like a passionate statement that  may be considered by them as an incitement of terror, illegal in the US), you can be picked up in Canada, delivered to the US and be ingested by their legal and prison system. Be careful!

This is ridiculous. MLAT means that Canada will assist Americans in apprehending citizens of either nation that have broken American laws in America. It doesn't mean that American laws apply here.

And as for your point about being arrested for speech: it's far more likely to be the other way around, with Americans being extradited to Canada to face our "hate crimes" legislation. Americans take freedom of speech much more seriously than we do. Besides which, I'm sure that anything you said that would be considered "incitement of terror" in the US would be illegal in Canada too, under the aforementioned hate crimes legislation.

Were you planning on making a public call for jihad against the US or something?

WAY TO GO UNCLE SAM!!!!!! Come on over and get a few more dopeheads.

Are you volunteering?

You should be rejoicing guys. They just saved our tax paying public some major bucks.

Saved us "major bucks" how, exactly?

How can I volunteer to come and get some more, I'm not American. And if you're trying to call me a dopehead, whatever, please stay on topic.

Saving us money prosecuting and jailing the bum of course. We don't need idiots like this creep around here. Until Canada legalises dope, it's illegal. Some of us buy that. Too bad a lot of people don't. Where do you stand on it IMT?

Guest eureka

Americans do not take "Freedom of Speech" more "seriously" than we do. And that is a subject I have researched thoroughly in the past.

There are thousands of cases - court cases - annually where actions are brought against the States, more than the federal government, involving violations of that particular freedom.

Freedom of speech is a fairly recent guarantee in the US; less than a century old at the State level. It is older than that at the federal government level but has not been well protected by the Courts.

WAY TO GO UNCLE SAM!!!!!! Come on over and get a few more dopeheads. Maybe start with the Olympic snowboarding team. You should be rejoicing guys. They just saved our tax paying public some major bucks.

Come and get some more!!

When the Olympic snowboarding team starts a web-based business to sell drugs in the United States, maybe they too will get arrested.

Americans do not take "Freedom of Speech" more "seriously" than we do. And that is a subject I have researched thoroughly in the past.

There are thousands of cases - court cases - annually where actions are brought against the States, more than the federal government, involving violations of that particular freedom.

Freedom of speech is a fairly recent guarantee in the US; less than a century old at the State level. It is older than that at the federal government level but has not been well protected by the Courts.

Absolutely, only someone with little to no experience with the American political system would ever say that freedom of speech is greater there then here.

And as for your point about being arrested for speech: it's far more likely to be the other way around, with Americans being extradited to Canada to face our "hate crimes" legislation. Americans take freedom of speech much more seriously than we do. Besides which, I'm sure that anything you said that would be considered "incitement of terror" in the US would be illegal in Canada too, under the aforementioned hate crimes legislation.

And you would be very wrong, there are many things you can't say in the US that you can say in Canada and there hate crime legislation are just as tough if not tougher then ours. Thats before you get into the insane patriot act legalities.

And you would be very wrong, there are many things you can't say in the US that you can say in Canada and there hate crime legislation are just as tough if not tougher then ours. Thats before you get into the insane patriot act legalities.

I think you are grossly mis-informed. Please read the following article from Wikipedia, in particular the section on Canada and the section on the US:

Freedom of Speech (Wikipedia)

If Wikipedia isn't your cup of tea, please at least start with the articles I've spedified and explain where they are deficient.

Guest eureka

Why, instead of looking at definitions, do you not consider some of the facts that have been presented to you. I have, a couple of times now, gone into this.

The American Bill of Rights applied, originally, only to the Federal Government and its relations with the people. Only very slowly was it "naturalized" and made operative against the state governments - and is still not fully.

The first court action involving Freedom of Speech to be decided against a State government was Gitlow v. New York in 1927. It was only a partial success. It was not until many years after that,and many more actions, that Freedom of Speech became the norm in the US.

Even then, it was an uneasy status as McCarthy showed that Freedom of Speech and Association were not very weighty on the scales of political convenience and the guarantees of the Bill of Rights, even against the Federal government, were shown to be simply a matter of the makeup of the current political stripe of the Courts.

WAY TO GO UNCLE SAM!!!!!! Come on over and get a few more dopeheads.

Are you volunteering?

You should be rejoicing guys. They just saved our tax paying public some major bucks.

Saved us "major bucks" how, exactly?

How can I volunteer to come and get some more, I'm not American. And if you're trying to call me a dopehead, whatever, please stay on topic.

Saving us money prosecuting and jailing the bum of course. We don't need idiots like this creep around here. Until Canada legalises dope, it's illegal. Some of us buy that. Too bad a lot of people don't. Where do you stand on it IMT?

Holier than thous--you guys are the biggest laughs around; albeit, dangerous. Why? Cuz ya never question authority. And dems dat's in power loves ya cuz they can always count on you for support of whatever they're pushing--like bad laws for instance. A bad law is one that should not be embraced as you do but fought against. The Americans have built a multi billion prison INDUSTRY on drug convictions.

As for the war on drugs. What a sick joke.....but hey, folks like you are buying into it. Gawd help us all.

Having a Canadian extradited to the U.S. on marijuana charges is a travesty. If Canada follows through on this, we can all wave our flags representing the country of gutless wonders.

You needn't reply. There's nothing you can say about this subject that I would find illuminating.

And oh, by the way, keep tuned in for the latest U.S. propaganda - the media whores just love dishing it up to yas.

Frontline on Drugs

It's Marc Emery, not Paul.

He could get 10 years to life. That's possible life in jail for selling plant seeds. What a f'd up country. It's one thing for the Yanks to flush billons year after year in a futile "war on drugs" (they do love their unwinnable wars down there, don't they?). But to export that lunacy to our country (where the attitudes are much different: Emery wasn't doing anything illegal under Canadian law) is ridiculous. The Canadian government should fight the extradition. But they won't.

The hypocracy of the US is unbelievable.

There's nothing more relaxing at the end of a hard day than sitting by the fire and smoking some hemp.

Bill Clinton never exhaled. (pun intended)

We've all seen stories about George Bush in his younger days....

Our own Prime Minister has talked about decriminalizing pot... and then he'd send one of our own citizens to the states to be prosecuted and likely receive a sentence longer than a lot of murderers get (in Canada anyways)...

You should send Paul Martin an email telling him not to let the USA push him around... or interfere with Canada and its laws....

[email protected]

I'm sorry but Wikipedia continues to make a more compelling argument.

Honestly I am not going to bother, the fact is that I don't like Canadian restrictions on free speech. I largely agree with you on this issue about everything except the fact that you believe that it is better in the US where as I think it is worse. Since its a debate with a comparitively small group of examples on each side of the border its difficult to argue.

What I don't understand about the Marijuana issues at the end of the day is why there hasn't been a referendum on this, there isn't anything about this issue that doesn't make it suitable for a referendum and yet we seem to be avoiding the popular will on the issue at all cost. And please don't bring up what the US wants, I don't care what the US wants, I have nothing against them but this is Canada.

Honestly I am not going to bother, the fact is that I don't like Canadian restrictions on free speech. I largely agree with you on this issue about everything except the fact that you believe that it is better in the US where as I think it is worse. Since its a debate with a comparitively small group of examples on each side of the border its difficult to argue.

What I don't understand about the Marijuana issues at the end of the day is why there hasn't been a referendum on this, there isn't anything about this issue that doesn't make it suitable for a referendum and yet we seem to be avoiding the popular will on the issue at all cost. And please don't bring up what the US wants, I don't care what the US wants, I have nothing against them but this is Canada.

I am (unlike many conservatives) all for the decriminalization of cannabis. I don't know that it's an important enough issue for a referendum (ie. no government is going to risk public ire over wasting money on it). While I understand the emotional push behind the war on drugs, I believe that the inclusion of marijuana within the scope of that effort is misguided and consumes far too much in the way of resources with far too little effect. The Americans believe that marijuana's chief fault is that it is a stepping stone drug, leading to the abuse of far more dangerous drugs. I agree, but with the caveat the alcohol and tobacco are also stepping stone drugs. Making alcohol legal while prohibiting cannabis doesn't make any sense. Prohibition is too difficult a regime to enforce, when the prohibited substances are easy to grow or distill.

I've given a lot of thought to whether all drugs should be decriminalized, and I've come to the conclusion that harder drugs (eg. LSD, cocaine, heroin, etc.) should remain illegal, and that it's not a "slippery slope" to allow the consumption of pot while prohibiting blow.

I am (unlike many conservatives) all for the decriminalization of cannabis.

I would not oppose decriminalizing dope if that's the will of the people.

My problem is that while it's illegal, it is a criminal offense to posses or traffic it and people should be prosecuted.

I think perpetual dope use leads to uselessness and unmotivated behaviour. At least the burnouts I knew were.

For those of you who think this is good it is a major downer in are soverenty first devils lake and now this and you can blame it on are politions and are "great" Paul Martin for not haveing the balls to say no like hos predicessor Jean Cretien WHERE IS HE NOW WHEN YOU NEED HIM!!!! If anything I think we should let the Americans come and arrest Paul Martin so he can stop screwing the Canadian people and are soverenty!