Albertans accused of red-neck & anti-gay

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find a few statements quite funny:

1. Homosexuals are already on very, very thin ice in Alberta.

Why would they be on thin ice? Sounds like a threat.

2. Repeated anti-homosexual statements made by crazymf.

Substitute 'Jew' of 'homo', and you'd never have anything like that ever said.

3. Very few gay couples are getting married in Alberta.

The environment is negative in Alberta. Most of the people who have found their partners in Alberta have left to more progressive societies. I don't think the passing of SSM is going to change the exodous.

4. There's a lot of hate speech in this thread.

I'm not surprised that there would be hate speech in this thread, I'm just surprised that there isn't more outrage towards the guilty people in this thread.

If everyone married the same sex, humans would go extinct in one generation.

Last I checked, no one was advocating mandatory homosexual marriage for everyone. The relatively small percentage of marriages that will be homosexual will have virtually no impact on the long term reproductive survivablity of our species.

If a relatively small percentage of people murdered someone every year that would "have virtually no impact on the long term reproductive survivablity of our species.

Does that mean it should be allowed?

Are you seriously comparing gay marriage to murder?

This has to be one of the most poorly thought out analogies I've ever heard...

-k

I find a few statements quite funny:

1. Homosexuals are already on very, very thin ice in Alberta.

Why would they be on thin ice? Sounds like a threat.

2. Repeated anti-homosexual statements made by crazymf.

Substitute 'Jew' of 'homo', and you'd never have anything like that ever said.

3. Very few gay couples are getting married in Alberta.

The environment is negative in Alberta. Most of the people who have found their partners in Alberta have left to more progressive societies. I don't think the passing of SSM is going to change the exodous.

4. There's a lot of hate speech in this thread.

I'm not surprised that there would be hate speech in this thread, I'm just surprised that there isn't more outrage towards the guilty people in this thread.

Check the context of the thread. It's impossible to debate an issue without exploring different sides. If you are scared you won't like the answers, don't ask the questions.

And to just weigh in on the subject to personally attack members rather than give us a valid opinion on the thread isn't in the keeping of the rules of this board as I understand them. Perhaps you can address the thread?

Hatred is hatred.

Frankly, the implied threats against Alberta's homosexuals are pretty disgusting.

If you don't agree Argus, shame on you.

I'm sure in fifty years time, when people look back on the attitudes of 60% of Albertans, those guilty Albertans, like their German counterparts, will fein "We knew nothing" and "It was all Klein".

Suuuurrrreeee.

Eugenics, SSM, the Divorce Struggle: yup, stand proud Alberta!

If a relatively small percentage of people murdered someone every year that would "have virtually no impact on the long term reproductive survivablity of our species.

Does that mean it should be allowed?

After reading the posts of a few Albertans in this thread, I formally request that I be permitted to change my vote on the original poll.

:rolleyes:

Hatred is hatred.

That's the real issue.

If you're against SSM, you're pro-hatred.

That simple.

No, that's simple-minded.

One of the more inane posts I've come across here.

Until such time as someone constructs a rational argument to oppose SSM, rather than using hateful rhetoric, Takeanumbers point stands.

Guest eureka

I think I gave rational arguments against SSM on the thread devoted to actual discussion rather than the quirks of Albertans. Rational arguments are met by irrational impatience and disdain for those who do not share the view that the issue is one of "Rights." It is not, BTW: not in any reasoned view.

For those who oppose from a fath or belief, rational arguments are irrelevant. Faith is more important than what is said to be rational and rational is no more than a belief or faith in itself. There is no such animal as a rational human being.

Well I think this fellow make some rather good points against it.

http://www.henrythornton.com/article.asp?article_id=2504

Here are the last two lines of the above indicated article:"The real intolerance in contemporary society springs from those who are determined to destroy or subjugate traditional religion and family relationship. Perhaps some of the fault lies with the former lack of tolerance on the part of those religions."

I support gay marriage, and take great umbrage with the implication that somehow my position might be viewed as intolerant and destructive to traditional marriage and the family. In fact I count myself as very tolerant, as I believe both "unions" can co-exist. Oh, and I live in Alberta.

Guest eureka

That is the problem with discussion of this subject, Newbie. You take "great umbrage" at the reversal of the view that the supporters of SSM hold.

Is this one of those cases where the supporters are the sole repository of truth and there can be no contrary opinion. Opponenets are accused of nothing but intolerance but supporters are all cloaked in righteousness.

Hatred is hatred.

Frankly, the implied threats against Alberta's homosexuals are pretty disgusting.

If you don't agree Argus, shame on you.

I don't know anything about threats or implied threats. I know your statement was dumb. Many people are against SSM and don't hate anyone.

I'm sure in fifty years time, when people look back on the attitudes of 60% of Albertans, those guilty Albertans, like their German counterparts, will fein "We knew nothing" and "It was all Klein".

What the hell are you talking about now? Are you on drugs or something? Are you comparing the treatment of homosexuals in Alberta with Jews being fried in ovens? :huh:

The redneck stereotype

The term redneck is seen by some people to be both racist and classist, as it is was originally used to describe a person of pale skin that has been sunburned doing outdoor work or field work, and disproportionately applies to the poor. Today, a redneck is a stereotypical southern United States socially conservative, fiscally liberal, rural, working class white person with northern European ancestry.

The popular etymology says that the term derives from such individuals having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sunlight over the course of their lifetime. The effect of decades of direct sunlight on the exposed skin of the back of the neck not only reddens fair skin, but renders it leathery and tough, and typically very wrinkled by late middle age. Another popular theory stems from the use of red bandanas tied around the neck to signify union affiliation during the violent clashes between United Mine Workers and owners between 1910 and 1920.

Some historians claim that the term redneck originated in 17th century Virginia, when indentured servants were sunburnt while tending plantation crops.

A redneck is usually typified in popular culture by a straight male with a beer belly that consumes cheap American beer such as Busch or Miller by the case (Pabst Blue Ribbon in more traditional settings) as well as Jack Daniel's. They are generally distrustful or dislike anyone not like them or the government. The stereotypical redneck lives in a trailer, and drives an old, large, beat-up pickup truck with a gun rack in the rear window. He generally wears a stained, sleeveless t-shirt, blue jeans, and a trucker hat. Their hair is generally worn in the mullet style, and they favor long sideburns. Personal hygiene is a lost concept with the stereotypical redneck, and what teeth they have left generally show the complete anthology of the stages of dental caries. Their favorite activities include hunting, shooting at road signs and lights, professional wrestling, NASCAR, monster truck rallies, car engine repair, collecting junked cars and large appliances on their lawns, having way too many children and dogs, participating in domestic distubances, and waiting around for their welfare checks. Country and Southern Rock bands such as Lynyrd Skynyrd figure in as their preferred genre of music.

Stereotypical redneck females have similar characteristics and interests on a feminine scale. They are most often seen barefoot, pregnant and wear Daisy Duke shorts with stiletto heels.

:D

Did you hear that the Premier's house in Edmonton, Burned Down?

Yep. Pert' near took out the whole trailer park.

Ease up guys. There isn't any hate around here....

I got a good laugh out of that one, because its true that in Alberta the gay community is on very very thin ice. I am not that fanatic (till some gay couple tries to take someone I know to court at least hehe), but I won't deny that there are those who are

Posting an endorsement and implied threat of violence towards gays puts a lie to your statement that you are not a homophobe.

I am pro straight, but you don't see us out there having straight pride parades.

Sure you do. It's called the Stampede.

Every day is straight pride day.

Our society works for the most part and by some of our standards isn't really all that broken. Why does it need fixed?

Straight people have done mor eharm to traditional marriag ethan some queer radical revolutionary ever could.

Anyway the whole SSM thing is just classic misdirection designed to keep the gullible prole's attention focused away from meaty economic issues.