Today where do you get your news from?

Do you consider the media to be biased in favour of?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What are your main sources for getting the news these days? My impressions are that there are fundamental shifts taking place, however I am curious to know what kind of impact these media changes are having on the people who post here at mapleleafweb.

My main source of news now is the 'net and the radio, however I still like to see a paper once in a while. no more TV news although I will still watch special events such as election nite returns. My specifc souces of news I will get into at a later time.

So if you do get the news where do you get it from? For example, do you get it from the internet version of the Wall Street Journal or what?

Maybe percentages might be the best way to approach this.

i.e

TV News - 50%, CBS - 20%, & CNN - 30%

Newspaper - 5%, Toronto Sun - 5%

Internet - 45% Calgary Herald Online - 44%, The Tyee - 1%

My main source of news now is the 'net and the radio,  however I still like to see a paper once in a while. no more TV news although I will still watch special events such as election nite returns. My specifc souces of news I will get into at a later time.

The media mostly owned by the RIGHT WING. Newspapers exist to make a profit. Their profits are not from having excellent insights or hard-hitting fact-finding stories.... They are from selling advertisers. How many left-wing advertisers are there.... No, they are big companies... who won't support a news source that promotes ideas that could hurt their business.

For example, what insurance companies would adveritise in a news source that promoted the NDP party, and thier stance for public auto insurance... Not too many....

The Toronto Star is probably the best, most balanced newspaper in Canada, and you can find them online.... The Toronto Star

PS. Linda McQuaig (my favorite author) has a weekly article in the Star... They keep about 20 weeks of her articles online.... This week, it is about the failure of the "war on terror"... definitely a worthwhile read....

Guest eureka

Oddly, this forum has become a major source for me. So many participants cull news from so many sources, that there is a wealth of information.

It just needs the biases excised from the reporting and that adds entertainment value.

You are kidding right? They are one of those papers that does not even pretend to be objective.

It all depends on your definition of "objective".... If "objective" means spouting right-wing neo-con tripe, then I guess they don't ....

They are probably the only paper that is not on the extreme right in Canada...

PS. Did you check out the Linda McQuaig article I was talking about ???

It all depends on your definition of "objective".... If "objective" means spouting right-wing neo-con tripe, then I guess they don't ....

They are probably the only paper that is not on the extreme right in Canada...

Bias is in the eye of the beholder. IMV, the G&M does a better job of balancing both sides than the Star. The National Post is unapologetically right wing.

I know that most of our media is corporate owned to sell advertising to corporations so it is only natrural that private media is going to be biased to the right. I agree that the Toronto Star has some good columnists.

I used to be a big fan of the CBC TV The National but quite frankly they are too biased in favour of one political party in Canada which I find a bit unsettling.

I'm with eureka though in that I get a some of my news from discussion boards such as this.

Here are some ballpark figures where I get my news from:

Radio: 30% - CBC Radio One

TV: 5% - City TV/ CBC/Global/CTV

Newspapers: 25% - Online - Toronto Star, New York Times, The Guardian, Le

Devoir, Globe and Mail, Scotsman, The Tyee, FT, sometimes

an Israeli newspaper.

Columnists: 5% - Online - Gwynne Dyer, etc.

Discussion Groups: 30% - Online

Discussions (Face to face with people): 5% - Online

If there is a breaking news story I usually go to Google and do a search. The one problem with Google's searches though is that sometimes they will have 100s of hits on the same story, especially if the AP in the US is running it, so it is time consuming to have to search through page after page, to finally get another slant on the issue.

Publisher leaves the National Post after eight months at the helm

I am wondering if it is curtains for the National Post. They really don't seem to represent Canadian's viewpoint very much and I really wonder if there is that much of a market for this kind of publication in Canada. I think it is good to have diversification in our media but we already have a corporate media, and we need some alternative media like media represented unions, workers, and consumers points of view.

I get most of my news online. There is lewrockwell.com and antiwar.com I also get some news from mp3 downloads of radio shows i like.

I would agree with the person who before said The globe and mail seems the most balanced. The Toronto Star is very left wing, oh sorry progressive. And to the people who say the National Post is not balanced and very right wing i ask, is Buzz Hargrove and Sheila Copps right wing? Because they both write for the National Post.

The net mostly, some News Paper (local), and some tv. For the internet I use google news. As per the description below, it is probably the most balanced way to find articles from many different sources.

Google News gathers stories from more than 4,500 news sources in English worldwide, and automatically arranges them to present the most relevant news first. Topics are updated every 15 minutes, so you're likely see new stories each time you check the page. You pick the item that interests you, then go directly to the site which published the account you want to read.

Google News is a highly unusual news service in that our results are compiled solely by computer algorithms, without human intervention. As a result, news sources are selected without regard to political viewpoint or ideology, enabling you to see how different news organizations are reporting the same story. This variety of perspectives and approaches is unique among online news sites, and we consider it essential in helping you stay informed about the issues that matter most to you.